Combining two team's rosters

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Break time between studying :)

So over in the main boards there is a thread for combining two team's rosters and one person mentioned to combine 1st with last place teams and continue moving towards the middle.
That would put us with New Jersey Devils.

Instead of just combining the best players from both teams I tried to think of an actual top 9 system with roles AND tried to keep it under the cap (****ing two teams with sub par goalies with dumb contracts).

FORWARDS
Evander Kane ($5.250m) / Olli Jokinen ($4.500m) / Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m)
Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Travis Zajac ($3.888m) / Blake Wheeler ($2.550m)
Andrew Ladd ($4.400m) / Bryan Little ($2.383m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m)
Alexei Ponikarovsky ($1.800m) / Adam Henrique ($0.854m) / Alexander Burmistrov ($1.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Tobias Enstrom ($3.750m) / Dustin Byfuglien ($5.200m)
Andy Greene ($3.000m) / Zach Bogosian ($2.500m)
Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Adam Larsson ($0.925m)

GOALTENDERS

Ondrej Pavelec ($3.900m)/Martin Brodeur ($4.500m)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000;
CAP PAYROLL: $70,341,666;
BONUSES: $912,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $770,834

Lines are by roles, not TOI:
Forwards: Sheltered OZS, Tough OZS, Tough DZS, Sheltered DZS
Defence: Tough OZS, Tough DZS, Sheltered
Goalies: Split

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
My reasoning
First Line
This is the sheltered scoring line, so Kane and Kovalchuk were no-thinkers. Jokinen over Little and Zajac was a little harder, but I ended up going with Jokinen as he'd be the worst of the three in either of the tough minute roles. I was skeptical about putting another three mass shooters together, but maybe the coaching can straighten them out... plus Jokinen was only 63rd in the league for SOG/GP, relative to Kovalchuk's 3rd and Kane's 5th.

Second Line/Third Line
These guys are kind of interchangeable, as all of them are two-way guys that can beat tough minutes and put up points, but I like the idea of keeping Ladd-Little together.

Fourth Line
Had to keep Ponikarovsky, just because he's a former Devil and future Jet (maybe?). Kept the youth with Henrique and Burmistrov, since you don't want to throw them away (and their ELC's help a lot with the cap!).

First Pairing
Enstrom and Byfuglien. Ebony and Ivory (size wise). I love this pairing and will fight tooth and nail to keep them together when they are being pushed in the OZ.

Second Pairing
Finally a guy that actually not be an anvil for Bogosian to carry. Two solid two-way guys that can put up points even when shutting down top lines. Yes please!

Third Pairing
Tallinder is NJD's version of Hainsey, older shutdown guy who get's the job done but people tend to not like him since he isn't gritty. Cheaper though than Hainsey and little better looking corsi-wise. Larsson is cheap due to the lovely ELC and also has quite the future.

Goaltending
**** <--- summary
Two subpar goalies (although Brodeur turned it up for the playoffs) on terrible contracts, an old backup who isn't any better, and a guy who has never reached his promise... Just let the two bad contracts battle it out for starter... maybe that will push them to try hard. Also would be the 2nd and 3rd heaviest goalies in the NHL.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Notable Prospects

This kind of sucks since there are a lot of redundancies between the two team's prospect pool.

LW:
Ivan Telegin
Stefan Matteau
Adam Lowry
Artus Gavrus
Reid Bouchher
Mike Hoeffel

RW:
Carl Klingberg
Spencer Machacek
Scott Kosmachuk

C:
Mark Scheifele
Patrice Cormier
David Wohlberg
Lukas Sutter
Blake Colman
Ben Johnson

LD:
Jon Merrill
Eric Gelinas
Alexander Urbom
Julian Melchiori
Brandon Burlon
Zach Yuen

RD:
Jacob Trouba
Paul Postma
Zach Redmond
Damon Severson
Reece Scarlett
Brennan Serville

G:
Scott Wedgewood
Eddward Pasquale

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
What are you doing your masters in? I thought you were purely stats, that sounds like medical microbiology or something similar.

Although I'm nearing my billionth year in school... I'm not doing masters :o
I'm doing a double honours program that's split into biology (predominately genetic and micro) and chemistry (predominately organic and biochemistry).
I did few years of school in random stuff (mostly joke classes), but then dropped out to play music and tour Canada playing metal :yo:
Then as I started to realize I need a future (the wife may have had a role to play in that haha), I went back to school. When I'm done I'll basically have credits for two regular bachelors :P

There... now everyone knows my life story haha

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm doing a double honours program that's split into biology (predominately genetic and micro) and chemistry (predominately organic and biochemistry).
I did few years of school in random stuff (mostly joke classes), but then dropped out to play music and tour Canada playing metal :yo:
Then as I started to realize I need a future (the wife may have had a role to play in that haha), I went back to school. When I'm done I'll basically have credits for two regular bachelors :P

Solid haha. I'm about to finish a joint honours in micro and chemistry, fairly similar haha. Planning/hoping to tour Canada after I graduate :nod::yo: ...although folk/country not metal ;)

I was going to say enough OT random life stories, but I don't have a heck of a lot to add to this topic... :P

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Question: Why in the world would he put out the worst defensive line out there to preserve a lead. Especially after the game they played.

Answer: There’s an empty net.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

I thought u had a job with stats and hockey?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->