Combines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Juan said:
As well, he told me he saw three guys puke in a bucket on the max VO2 bike test.

That exercise is downright nasty. I've seen it a couple of times on tv(from Rangers shows) and I get queasy watching the players gut that one out. Another reason endurance wins.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Til the End of Time said:
I seem to recall hearing that Mario Lemieux couldn't even bench 135 lbs. when he first reported to the Penguins.

Conversely, there is a famous Sports Illustrated article that talks about how Herschell Walker, literally never having touched a weight in his life, benched 350 lbs. when he arrived as a 19-year-old freshman at the University of Georgia. All he had ever done for upper body is pushups and dips. He also cleaned over 300 lbs. (which is sick for a first timer), ran a 4.4 forty and could 2-hand dunk a basketball.

I am dreaming of the day that a hockey prospect arrives on the scene with that kind of raw athletic ability specific to hockey.

stocktrader

Juan said:
Conversely, there is a famous Sports Illustrated article that talks about how Herschell Walker, literally never having touched a weight in his life, benched 350 lbs. when he arrived as a 19-year-old freshman at the University of Georgia. All he had ever done for upper body is pushups and dips. He also cleaned over 300 lbs. (which is sick for a first timer), ran a 4.4 forty and could 2-hand dunk a basketball.

I am dreaming of the day that a hockey prospect arrives on the scene with that kind of raw athletic ability specific to hockey.
The numbers are impressive, but they would not necessarily translate into hockey greatness.
Hockey is a lot about hand eye coordination, endurance, vision and some strength.
A guy like Gretzky who has little physical strength can dominate in hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
stocktrader said:
The numbers are impressive, but they would not necessarily translate into hockey greatness.
Hockey is a lot about hand eye coordination, endurance, vision and some strength.
A guy like Gretzky who has little physical strength can dominate in hockey.

Let me re-emphasize my point that it would be amazing to see a hockey prospect whose untrained athletic ability is at the level of a Walker but is more sport-specific to hockey.

Having said that, I would argue strenuously that, all hockey skills being roughly equal (speed, balance, agility, hands, vision, hockey sense, grit), the 6'1" guy who can bench 350 lbs. would be a more effective hockey player than 6'1" guy who can only bench 150 lbs.

And don't say the much stronger guy would surely be bulkier and therefore slower and less fluid, because there probably isn't a starting wide receiver in the NFL who can't bench over 300 lbs., and many can bench over 350.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
The closest thing to a true "raw athlete" in terms of NHL prospects would probably have to be Anthony Stewart.

Shawn Belle, perhaps, as well. Both are phenomenally conditioned athletes.

stocktrader

Juan said:
Let me re-emphasize my point that it would be amazing to see a hockey prospect whose untrained athletic ability is at the level of a Walker but is more sport-specific to hockey.

Having said that, I would argue strenuously that, all hockey skills being roughly equal (speed, balance, agility, hands, vision, hockey sense, grit), the 6'1" guy who can bench 350 lbs. would be a more effective hockey player than 6'1" guy who can only bench 150 lbs.

And don't say the much stronger guy would surely be bulkier and therefore slower and less fluid, because there probably isn't a starting wide receiver in the NFL who can't bench over 300 lbs., and many can bench over 350.
Tough to say.
In Boxing for example the real muscular guys always get KO'd.
There are guys in the NHL who can bench 400 pounds. I will end this by saying I think it is way more important in hockey to have strong legs and not necissarely that strong of upper body.

Compare a Shawn Belle to a Lemieux or Gretzky. All that upper body strength is not going to make him the second coming.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Juan said:
One great example of how much stock is (or isn't) put into the combine is the fact that Dany Heatley literally got pinned under the bar in the maximum reps bench press test, where the weight is set at 155 lbs.

The average every year is usually over 10 reps, so that's pretty embarassing.

where did u here this...????

if thats true,... that is VERY embarassing

Kyle Wellwood for Belleville in training camp of his 116 point year could bench 150 and was almost puking after the shuttle run
I guess eh didnt touch the ice or a weight in tyhe summer haha

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Matt MacInnis said:
The closest thing to a true "raw athlete" in terms of NHL prospects would probably have to be Anthony Stewart.

I think Shawn Belle is stronger than Anthony Stewart... Ive seen Stewy work out and he's very strong... when he was a 16 year old he could bench 225 8-10 times which is impressive...

but then there are kids ive seen drafted to the OHL who are 16-17 and can bench 255 10 times.. and one kid was only 5"8 165 so it just does to show ya.. it doesnt really matter.. but it can help...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Balej's Dance said:
I dont see the big deal though. I dont want a weightlifter for a hockey player(other than Anthony Stewart). My 130 lb ass can bench that(155 not 200, ur skinny ass is pretty mysteriously jacked), but weight room strength means jack in hockey.

It's just that Heatley always seemed like a pretty solid guy, to me. I never saw him without pads, though :dunce:. I didn't know he only weighed 175 in his draft year. I'm 20 years old and I only weigh 170-175 myself (I'm 6'1'') but I'm not a hockey player and I have pretty skinny legs, wheras alot of Heatley's 175 was probably in his legs. I doubt I could bench 200 hundred anymore, anyway. I was in county jail for 6 months and I lost alot of strength (as you're not allowed to work out in there and I didn't have time during work release, and the food is less than gourmet cuisine). and I havent gotten back in the groove of working out yet:(

Last edited:

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:

I can't speak for him in relation to players like Stewart and Belle, but the Predators were amazed at Ryan Suter's performance in the combine. I think it was what tipped the scales for them. I'll see if I can dig up a link or two.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
SmokeyClause said:
I can't speak for him in relation to players like Stewart and Belle, but the Predators were amazed at Ryan Suter's performance in the combine. I think it was what tipped the scales for them. I'll see if I can dig up a link or two.
Most of the players coming out of the NTDP are in tremendous shape. Their training program is as good as you can get for hockey training!

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Without a doubt the most important aspect of the NHL "Combine" is the interview process.

Players undergo physicals and physical testing but neither will make or break his draft stock (unless an illness or injury is discovered that was previously unknown).

The interviews can be grueling for the players and can easily make or break ones draft stock. Almost every team brings a psychologist with them and will often sit with a player more than once during the combine (in Toronto) to run through the same questions again.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Schlep Rock said:
Without a doubt the most important aspect of the NHL "Combine" is the interview process.

The interviews can be grueling for the players and can easily make or break ones draft stock. Almost every team brings a psychologist with them and will often sit with a player more than once during the combine (in Toronto) to run through the same questions again.

That sounds awful. I could not handle that.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Cruiser008 said:
If that's the case it would serve him well to grow another inch or two if he wants to dominate the NHL as many have predicted.

Agreed. An extra-inch is often what separates good/great players from dominating ones. I mean, imagine if Paul Kariya was an inch taller! Can you think of the results? What about Gretzky? If you give Gretzky an inch, I'd say he'd easily have topped 3,000 points. Probably would have won more than handful of Cups too.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
SmokeyClause said:
Agreed. An extra-inch is often what separates good/great players from dominating ones. I mean, imagine if Paul Kariya was an inch taller! Can you think of the results? What about Gretzky? If you give Gretzky an inch, I'd say he'd easily have topped 3,000 points. Probably would have won more than handful of Cups too.

A full inch would have put him at 3,193 points to be exact, or 3 more children, or he would have taken a mile, depending on what you mean by "If you give Gretzky an inch". :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad