Combined rankings of Red Line, ISS and McKeen's

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
Assigning a 10-9-8-7, etc., point value to each group's top 10 prospects, here is the group consensus top 10 from these three scouting services, based on their most recent respective ratings. Tied were broken by the awarding the least differential from the mean average of each the higher position -- ie, the more consistently highly ranked player got preference.

1. Patrick Kane
2. Alexei Cherepanov
3. Karl Alzner
4. Jakub Voracek
5. Kyle Turris
6. Logan Couture
7. James van Riemsdyk
8. Sam Gagner
9. Keaton Ellerby
10. Angelo Esposito

Also receiving votes: Brandon Sutter, Nick Petrecki and Sergei Korostin

And if you add in the voice of the sage minds who contributed to the HF Boards Mock Draft poll, the top 10 list would change to:

1. Patrick Kane
2. Alexei Cherepanov
3. Karl Alzner
4. Logan Couture
5. Jakub Voracek
6. Kyle Turris
7. James van Riemsdyk
8. Angelo Esposito
9. Sam Gagner
10. Keaton Ellerby

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
hmm. the top 10 stays the same with just a feaw changes. the top 10 in this draft looks very solid. i really like Turris, kane and cherepanov.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The consensus doesn't include CSS (which separates into NA and Euro lists for skaters and also for goalies) and has not been updated from the mid-term anyway..

Nevertheless Turris was #5 NA skater on the CSS mid-tem --so if he is the consensus #5 or #6 (because if you add Cherepanov to the CSS's top 5 Na skaters--he'd certainly be pushing Turris down to #6 )--HOWEVER such a "consensus" based on this averaging of the rankings doesn't mean that one of the scouting services or NHL teams itself doesn't have Turris ranked higher than #5 or #6...so who is to say that Mckeen's (Turris #2) is not correct and the others + the combined "conensus" is wrong? So I don't think such rankings when there is still much disagreement on the ordering is that relevant this year...

Rather the combined consensus as to odering by position is probably more relevant...
THe combined consensus since it just averagesthe ordering from the ISS,Redline and McKeen's shows Turris as the #1 CENTRE in the draft--which is what I have maitained all along --we shall see if CSS comes around to the conenss view or insists
Turris stay as the #3 NA centre (they had Esosito and Gagner ahead of him at mid-term)...

Coming into the year Esposito and Couture were considered the top 2 centres for the draft --but exceptional years by Turris and Gagner have changed many observers minds--and Couture has been hard to rank because of his illnees (mono) and injury (knee) affcting his year--he was down--then up in December performance--then back to lethargic in January and now in jured in February...so it is hard to read as to how much he should be credited with his promise shown last season and given a break due to the health set-backs this year --those willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because of the health problems may still put him as the top centre prospect (Redline) --others looking at thise health set-backs as a risk to a complete read on Couture may rank fhim lower because of this...
As for Esposito's alleged fall from grace because he has not put up the points expected of him--partly that may be Patrick roy's fault --for not using him as the #1 go to guy onthe Ramparts --Esposito only centres their 2nd line (even though he plays PP)--still it is a bit unfair to judge him vs. the other candidates for best centre when all the others are featured on their teams top lines (and so playing with the other top scoreres on their teams)...

As for Cherepanov (RW) --everone seems so high on him--BUT:

1. In the big gold medal game vs. Canada at the WJHC --he really did not stand out..
2. While his 14G+11A =25pts in 41GP for OMSK are very good for the 18 yr old
against the top men's league (RSL) in Russia--they are not Ovechkin/Malkin
numbers--nor has he their size,speed,shot....
3. He was ok but not dominating at the recent 5 Nations u-18 in Most Czech Rep.
(since he was over 18 as of January,I guess the rules for the tournament
were more generous than by rigorous adherence to birth date) --where he only
tied for 5th in scoring with 4pts in 4GP (2g+2a) ..

4. So--I think we must be careful in over-ranking him ...My hunch is that he won't pan out as well as people think as an impact NHl'er...

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
1. In the big gold medal game vs. Canada at the WJHC --he really did not stand out.. 2. [COLOR="Black" said:
While his 14G+11A =25pts in 41GP for OMSK are very good for the 18 yr old
[/COLOR]3. He was ok but not dominating at the recent 5 Nations u-18 in Most Czech Rep.

4. So--I think we must be careful in over-ranking him ...My hunch is that he won't pan out as well as people think as an impact NHl'er...

no you are absolutely right. they are not malkin/ovechkin numbers. he's numbers are better then malkin/ovechkin.

malkin's draft year: 34 gp. 3 G. 9 A. 12 points

ovechkin's draft year: 53 gp. 13 G. 10 A. 23 points.

cherepanov's draft year: 41 gp. 14 G. 11 A. 25 points.

and another thing. the wjc cant affect your ranking negatively. because he is playing against the top talent in the world thats 2 years older then him.

but malkin and ocechkin are better players no doubt, but there is no one in this draft thats as good as them. players like that doesnt come by every year.

cherepanov is #1 in my book. and i think he will be a great NHL player. i think he will turn into something like alexander semin. that really isn't to bad is it??

Bobby39

Jan 19, 2007
Assigning a 10-9-8-7, etc., point value to each group's top 10 prospects, here is the group consensus top 10 from these three scouting services, based on their most recent respective ratings. Tied were broken by the awarding the least differential from the mean average of each the higher position -- ie, the more consistently highly ranked player got preference.

1. Patrick Kane
2. Alexei Cherepanov
3. Karl Alzner
4. Jakub Voracek
5. Kyle Turris
6. Logan Couture
7. James van Riemsdyk
8. Sam Gagner
9. Keaton Ellerby
10. Angelo Esposito

Also receiving votes: Brandon Sutter, Nick Petrecki and Sergei Korostin

And if you add in the voice of the sage minds who contributed to the HF Boards Mock Draft poll, the top 10 list would change to:

1. Patrick Kane
2. Alexei Cherepanov
3. Karl Alzner
4. Logan Couture
5. Jakub Voracek
6. Kyle Turris
7. James van Riemsdyk
8. Angelo Esposito
9. Sam Gagner
10. Keaton Ellerby

Has the new Redline come out for Feb.? Who do they have in their Top 10?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It's interesting, because I do a similar combined ranking but include a weighted average for CSB as well (Europe rank goes up by four with each spot to account for the typical ratio of North Americans drafted v Europeans, although the #1 spot in both rankings goes as a #1). Here is the top 12 including average ranking points. After Sutter, the next best average ranking is 16.0 (Shatterkirk), so a bit of gap beyond the top 12 (and a bit of a gap after 10 separating Sutter and Blum from the top 10).

1 2.5 Alexei Cherepanov
2 2.8 Patrick Kane
3 4.3 Karl Alzner
4 5.5 James van Riemsdyk
5 5.5 Kyle Turris
6 6.8 Sam Gagner
7 7.0 Angelo Esposito
8 7.0 Logan Couture
9 8.0 Jakub Voracek
10 8.3 Keaton Ellerby
11 10.5 Jonathan Blum
12 11.7 Brandon Sutter

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
As for Cherepanov (RW) --everone seems so high on him--BUT:

1. In the big gold medal game vs. Canada at the WJHC --he really did not stand out..
2. While his 14G+11A =25pts in 41GP for OMSK are very good for the 18 yr old
3. He was ok but not dominating at the recent 5 Nations u-18 in Most Czech Rep.

1. Someone else has already posted that his numbers are better than Ovechkin and Malkin at the same age.

2. I'm surprised that a long time observer of drafts like yorself would show confusion over age rules for U18 tournaments. U18 means '89 or lower birthdates. It never, ever has anything to do with the actual birthday of the player vis-a-vis the date of the tournament.

3. You are using a 4 game scoring stat to judge him at that U18 tournament. If you actually saw him it would be hard to escape the fact that his talent and skill was on a different plane from others there, although he did take a while to warm up and get involved.

4. True- he wasn't too evident vs. Canada at the WJCs but he was very very good in almost every other WJC game- a big stage, against top countries- a fact which makes his WJC performance work in his favour as a top prospect, not against him.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
1. Someone else has already posted that his numbers are better than Ovechkin and Malkin at the same age.

2. I'm surprised that a long time observer of drafts like yorself would show confusion over age rules for U18 tournaments. U18 means '89 or lower birthdates. It never, ever has anything to do with the actual birthday of the player vis-a-vis the date of the tournament.

3. You are using a 4 game scoring stat to judge him at that U18 tournament. If you actually saw him it would be hard to escape the fact that his talent and skill was on a different plane from others there, although he did take a while to warm up and get involved.

4. True- he wasn't too evident vs. Canada at the WJCs but he was very very good in almost every other WJC game- a big stage, against top countries- a fact which makes his WJC performance work in his favour as a top prospect, not against him.

something makes me think he doesnt want to answer us:biglaugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad