Combined 05 & 06 drafts

MALKIN IS GOD !!!!!!*

if there was a combined draft with this year's and last year's draft picks, how would you rank the top 20? i'm just curious as to see how the prospects would stack up against each other.

Top 20 is tough but I can give you my top 5

1 Crosby
2 Johnson
3 Staal
4 JJ
5 Kessel

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
you have to remember that at the time of the 2005 draft, there was that rumour going around that about half of the GMs would have tasken Kessel over Crosby. To this day that cracks me up

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
I'll give it a shot:

1) Sidney Crosby
2) Erik Johnson
3) Jack Johnson
4) Gilbert Brule
5) Jonathan Toews
6) Phil Kessel
7) Nicklas Backstrom
8) Marc Staal
9) Luc Bourdon
10) Bobby Ryan
11) Jordan Staal
12) Anze Kopitar
13) Benoit Pouliot
14) Kyle Okposo
15) Devin Setoguchi
16) Ryan Parent
17) Derrick Brassard
18) Bryan Little
19) Jack Skille
20) Marek Zagrapan

Last edited:

Bam Beet*

I'll give it a shot:

1) Sidney Crosby
2) Erik Johnson
3) Jack Johnson
4) Gilbert Brule
5) Jonathan Toews
6) Phil Kessel
7) Nicklas Backstrom
8) Marc Staal
9) Luc Bourdon
10) Bobby Ryan
11) Jordan Staal
12) Anze Kopitar
13) Benoit Pouliot
14) Kyle Okposo
15) Devin Setoguchi
16) Ryan Parent
17) Derrick Brassard
18) Bryan Little
19) Jack Skille
20) Marek Zagrapan
18)

Bourdon ahead of Jordan Staal, Bobby Ryan and Benoit Pouliot??? :dunno:

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Bourdon ahead of Jordan Staal, Bobby Ryan and Benoit Pouliot??? :dunno:

Well, IMO, Staal and Pouliot are very, very overrated. They are some of the rawest prospects out there. Pouliot had a very poor showing at the World Juniors and Jordan Staal was basically a no-show in the Memorial Cup. Bobby Ryan I think was a tough desicion because he too was awful in the World Juniors. I think that the World Juniors are the best place to judge where prospects are at in terms of development. None of these players have really proven themselves outside of the CHL, whereas Bourdon was named to the tournament all-star team in the World Juniors, and has played excellent at the international stage. He would have made the Canucks squad last year too, if it wasn't for the new CBA and it's UFA policy.

Randall Graves*

Well, IMO, Staal and Pouliot are very, very overrated. They are some of the rawest prospects out there. Pouliot had a very poor showing at the World Juniors and Jordan Staal was basically a no-show in the Memorial Cup. Bobby Ryan I think was a tough desicion because he too was awful in the World Juniors. I think that the World Juniors are the best place to judge where prospects are at in terms of development. None of these players have really proven themselves outside of the CHL, whereas Bourdon was named to the tournament all-star team in the World Juniors, and has played excellent at the international stage. He would have made the Canucks squad last year too, if it wasn't for the new CBA and it's UFA policy.
and despite Ryan being awful, he was team USA's leading scorer after the Norway game(tied with Kessel I think)

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
and despite Ryan being awful, he was team USA's leading scorer after the Norway game(tied with Kessel I think)

I don't think the American coach used Bobby Ryan enough. He seemed to enjoy putting that bum, Blake Wheeler out instead. Ryan put up really good numbers considering how underutilized he was.

Talent Analyst

Dec 24, 2005
100th years
I'll give it a shot:

1) Sidney Crosby
2) Erik Johnson
3) Jack Johnson
4) Gilbert Brule
5) Jonathan Toews
6) Phil Kessel
7) Nicklas Backstrom
8) Marc Staal
9) Luc Bourdon
10) Bobby Ryan
11) Jordan Staal
12) Anze Kopitar
13) Benoit Pouliot
14) Kyle Okposo
15) Devin Setoguchi
16) Ryan Parent
17) Derrick Brassard
18) Bryan Little
19) Jack Skille
20) Marek Zagrapan

No Carey Price ... ?????? :shakehead

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Price won't be getting any sort of recognition until he plays for a winning team, which he hasn't had the possibility to do so far in his Junior career in Tri-City. Hopefully he gets traded to some contending team in the 'Dub and he can prove his worth to everyone who considers him to be an average goalie prospect.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
MMM here's what I think:

1. Sidney Crosby
2. Eric Johnson
3. Jack Johnson
4. Jordan Stall
5. Benoit Pouliot
6. Nic Bakstrom
7. Gilbert Brule
8. Jonathan Toews
9. Marc Stall
10. Luc Bordon
11. Phil Kessel
12. Bobby Ryan
13. Derek Brassard
14. Carey Price
15.Anze Kopitar
16. Ryan Parent
17. Jack Skille
18.James Sheppard
19. Kyle Okposo
20. Bryan Little

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I'll do top 10

1. Crosby
---------
2+3. The Johnsons, i won't rate one better then the other they are roughly even
---------
4. Toews
5. Kessel
6. Brule
7. Backstrom
---------
8. J Staal
---------
9. Ryan
10. M Staal
---------

*Note where i put ------, you can argue the order*

to round out top 20 in no particular order

Bourdon
Brassard
Kopitar
Mueller
Okposo
Parent
Pouliot
Rask
Skille
Sheppard

Last edited:

Randall Graves*

MMM here's what I think:

1. Sidney Crosby
2. Eric Johnson
3. Jack Johnson
4. Jordan Stall
5. Benoit Pouliot
6. Nic Bakstrom
7. Gilbert Brule
8. Jonathan Toews
9. Marc Stall
10. Luc Bordon
11. Phil Kessel
12. Bobby Ryan
13. Derek Brassard
14. Carey Price
15.Anze Kopitar
16. Ryan Parent
17. Jack Skille
18.James Sheppard
19. Kyle Okposo
20. Bryan Little
I'd take Kessel over Bourdon, Staal, Backstrom and Pouliot for sure.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
How is Bobby Ryan slipping so far down on everyones list? Ryan would definitely have to be in the top five.

Just because he was picked #2 in 2005 doesn't mean he was the second best player taken then(that was just Anaheim's opinion, personally I think JJ was to good to give up). Most scouting reports had him ranked 5 last year. That being said i would say i like him better then Pouliot.

I don't think he did anything this year to vastly improve his stock(which would have been top 4-5 last year) unlike let's say Brule or M Staal, although he still is a very good prospect. I had him #9 on my last after the top 5 of thise years draft, Crosby, and 2 of the guys rated ahead of him on most draft boards.

Basically i think Ryan will be a good player but the guys i listed above him have potential to be just as good if not beter.

Last edited:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
my list.

1. sidney crosby
2. erik johnson
3. jack johnson
4. bobby ryan
5. phil kessel
6. niklas backstrom
7. jonathan toews
8. benoit pouliot
9. gilbert brule
10.anze kopitar
11.marc staal
12.tuukka rask
13.jordan staal
14.derick brassard
15.luc bourdon
16.semen varlamov
17.peter mueller
18.jonathan bernier
19.james sheppard
20.jack skille

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Mine might look something like this:

1) Crosby
2) E. Johnson
3) J. Johnson
4) Kessel
5) Brule
6) Backstrom
7) Toews
8) J. Staal
9) Ryan
10) Brassard
11) M. Staal
12) Kopitar
13) Rask
14) Pouliot
15) Little
16) Mueller
17) Price
18) Bergfors
19) Okposo
20) Sheppard

I don't know... not easy.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Here goes nothin'....

1)Crosby
2)E.Johnson
3)Kessel
4)Brule
5)J.Johnson
6)Toews
7)Backstrom
8)Ryan
9)Pouliot
10)J.Staal
11)Kopitar
12)Bourdon
13)M.Staal
14)Mueller
15)Brassard
16)Price
17)Little
18)Okposo
19)Lee
20)Setoguchi

Randall Graves*

Just because he was picked #2 in 2005 doesn't mean he was the second best player taken then(that was just Anaheim's opinion, personally I think JJ was to good to give up). Most scouting reports had him ranked 5 last year. That being said i would say i like him better then Pouliot.

I don't think he did anything this year to vastly improve his stock(which would have been top 4-5 last year) unlike let's say Brule or M Staal, although he still is a very good prospect. I had him #9 on my last after the top 5 of thise years draft, Crosby, and 2 of the guys rated ahead of him on most draft boards.

Basically i think Ryan will be a good player but the guys i listed above him have potential to be just as good if not beter.
the guy averaged 3 ppg before the WJC's he clearly has outstanding offensive ability. That flew under the radar, while Wolski who did the exact same thing got his *** kissed left and right.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
the guy averaged 3 ppg before the WJC's he clearly has outstanding offensive ability. That flew under the radar, while Wolski who did the exact same thing got his *** kissed left and right.

I said he was a very good prospect didn't I. Being #9 is nothing to sneeze at either, i just thought the top 5 from this draft year was very strong and there was 3 guys from 2005 who were better. There is a good chance that he will have a better carreer then somebody i rated higher, but that being said thee is a good chance that somebody in my "other 10" list or that i didn't even mention will have a better career then him.

But that's my opinion and in the big picture it means poop.

Your 3 PPG arguement doesn't hold up because he ended up with 1.5PPg at the end of the season meaning he went into a huge slump. Ryan had amazing stats for a 17 year old, but the problem is that his numbers didn't improve that much which (rightly or wrongly) i feel might be a slight knock against him(although for arguement sake his stats were still very good for an 18 year old).

Last edited:

Randall Graves*

I said he was a very good prospect didn't I. Being #9 is nothing to sneeze at either, i just thought the top 5 from this draft year was very strong and there was 3 guys from 2005 who were better. There is a good chance that he will have a better carreer then somebody i rated higher, but that being said thee is a good chance that somebody in my "other 10" list or that i didn't even mention will have a better career then him.

But that's my opinion and in the big picture it means poop.

Your 3 PPG arguement doesn't hold up because he ended up with 1.5PPg at the end of the season meaning he went into a huge slump. Ryan had amazing stats for a 17 year old, but the problem is that his numbers didn't improve that much which (rightly or wrongly) i feel might be a slight knock against him(although for arguement sake his stats were still very good for an 18 year old).
But that 3 month period shows he absolutely has the ability to be an oustanding offensive player. If it's a matter of conditioning I won't be too worried about him.

I'm just saying, Wolski practically did the exact same thing Ryan did, and he got props left and right. Whereas Ryan got no recognition at all for being near the top of the OHL scoring list for much of the season..

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I'm just saying, Wolski practically did the exact same thing Ryan did, and he got props left and right. Whereas Ryan got no recognition at all for being near the top of the OHL scoring list for much of the season..

I would take Ryan over Wolski(but once again that my opinion) but.....

....the Wolski love i think it's a case of a player who is better then the position he was drafted(ie late first round). Ryan was picked #2 so he would be put under a bigger microscope. I think the common concensuis here is that as good a prospect Ryan is, JJ should have been #2.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Price won't be getting any sort of recognition until he plays for a winning team, which he hasn't had the possibility to do so far in his Junior career in Tri-City. Hopefully he gets traded to some contending team in the 'Dub and he can prove his worth to everyone who considers him to be an average goalie prospect.

yep, at the end of next year it'l be fun to see how much higher Price's value had gone up then at the start.

boredmale said:
....the Wolski love i think it's a case of a player who is better then the position he was drafted(ie late first round). Ryan was picked #2 so he would be put under a bigger microscope. I think the common concensuis here is that as good a prospect Ryan is, JJ should have been #2.
you can also add that Wolski was drafted by a team who had close to zero depth in terms of prospects, if a Latendresse or a Kostytsin would of been drafted by say the Devils, they'd be freackin stars in the making

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->