GDT: Columbus at Tampa Bay - 1/10/23 @ 7:00PM. “Official” GDT Thread

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'm happy about Marchenko, dude is the real deal and I expected great things but probably not this soon.

What's there to say about Larsen at this point? Guy is trying his best he's just not an NHL coach. You can't just coach "effort" at this level and expect victories. He doesn't have the guys to compete right now but I don't think he's ever really proven to be a good coach with a healthy roster. It took how long for him to change practice styles and now the team finally looks fast? Roughly 4 months?

Johnny is probably annoyed with losing and having Laine turn over pucks. Patrik needs to find his game again. He looks very slow and ineffective. You could say that about a lot of players though.

Side note about Jody and Rimer, Jody seems to be carrying Rims even more of late. It's gotta be frustrating. This franchise really needs a new play by play guy. Bucci would be the dream.
Except for the "little thing" that not only does every player understand play of a player in constant health problems, but Johnny himself has nothing to brag about either. Where has he been for at least two games, especially the game against Tampa? I understand that a player may be angry about a situation, but every player is supposed to play 100% at all times.

He must be a leader for young players minimum even in difficult ice time. He isn't.

If you think the last two games, especially against Tampa, Laine had excellent forchecking thanks to it this line scored two goals, also there were any chances for his partners. Where Johnny was? Nobody wants but probably not on the ice.

Marchenko has played excellent and I hope he'll be continue.

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
These are 100% my thoughts. I'm guessing most everyone's expectation is that Lars gets fired but I think he has a chance for next year (on that short leash).

At the same time I also feel he's lost his voice in the room - but I wonder if this is such a special season and such young players that he might be able to regain it as the season goes towards its end. He's been in the organization for a long time, most players know him from before, and him being a "players' coach" or whatever might actually help now. If players see him learning and developing too, maybe he has a chance.

Only with a franchise like Columbus would he ever be considered a head coaching candidate for 2023-24. He's had 2 years and team the team still doesn't play defense.

A normal/average NHL franchise he would have been fired already. Yes I know the team potentially overperformed in the standings last season, but the lack of team defense is the issue (as well as no accountability for not playing defense).

Reactions: DJA

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Except for the "little thing" that not only does every player understand play of a player in constant health problems, but Johnny himself has nothing to brag about either. Where has he been for at least two games, especially the game against Tampa? I understand that a player may be angry about a situation, but every player is supposed to play 100% at all times.

He must be a leader for young players minimum even in difficult ice time. He isn't.

If you think the last two games, especially against Tampa, Laine had excellent forchecking thanks to it this line scored two goals, also there were any chances for his partners. Where Johnny was? Nobody wants but probably not on the ice.

Marchenko has played excellent and I hope he'll be continue.
I have less concerns about Johnny finding it than Laine. Laine is at a point where he needs to be more consistent. We know Gaudreau can do it, Laine has good games and then really bad games. I'm a big advocate but there still needs to be consistency. If Kirill is doing it, albeit there's less of a book on him at this stage, Patrik can be more effective too.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I have less concerns about Johnny finding it than Laine. Laine is at a point where he needs to be more consistent. We know Gaudreau can do it, Laine has good games and then really bad games. I'm a big advocate but there still needs to be consistency. If Kirill is doing it, albeit there's less of a book on him at this stage, Patrik can be more effective too.
You're right. It's just that this season it hasn't been very possible, no player can be consistent when he has so many injuries. I repeat, every player. All things considered, even Elvis doesn't have a perfect season, there's always something that comes up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad