Proposal: Columbus and Toronto

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Okay, obviously not terribly realistic but this stems from a conversation a friend and I just had, and it’s perplexing me as weirdly possible?

So after all the trades lately between Toronto and Columbus, what does everyone think of the Leafs sending Nylander to Columbus for Laine?

Nylander and Laine would both require protection for the expansion draft, but Nylander being signed for several more years gives Kekalainen reprieve from that headache.

Nylander carries a bigger cap hit, so it also frees up cap space for Toronto, allowing maybe one more addition (Mete off waivers?).

Nylander and Laine are very similar players with similar warts but maybe the timing/contract stuff makes enough sense to both teams? I do think Nylander has the potential to handle Tortorella better than Laine has, so that’s a factor as well. Plus Nylander *can* be used at centre, where Laine is a pure winger.

I dunno. Who would say no to this? Dubas? Kekalainen? Both?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's been discussed. Jackets fans don't wanna because we really want a top-6 C back as part of a Laine deal (unless we get overwhelmed with value), and Leafs fans don't wanna because Nylander has never slumped as badly as Laine is doing now.

Reactions: Petrus

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Also Laine makes about $200,000 less. barely cheaper.

plus he is an RFA at seasons end, and might even ask for a raise.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
It's been discussed. Jackets fans don't wanna because we really want a top-6 C back as part of a Laine deal (unless we get overwhelmed with value), and Leafs fans don't wanna because Nylander has never slumped as badly as Laine is doing now.

But Nylander is able to play centre.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
oh yeah i forgot Winnipeg retained my bad. but then again, thats all for an even bigger raise at seasons end.

I mean, conceivably, but how much of a raise? He certainly hasn’t proven himself worthy of anything significant. But even if it does require a raise, the Leafs have control, so they can decide how to work in the contract. Maybe they even flip him for assets after the fact.

Really, the biggest benefit to the Leafs here is an ideal way to convert Nylander to Nylander + (for one season). They can worry about the rest after they give themselves the biggest chance of a Cup.

Pairing Laine with Marner sounds absurdly good. Mix in Matthews and teams can’t cover both sides of the ice to protect against those threats.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Also Laine makes about $200,000 less. barely cheaper.

plus he is an RFA at seasons end, and might even ask for a raise.

He's not getting a raise after this year. It will be a one year QO and prove it year.

The bigger reason the Leafs wouldn't do it is because it's an unnecessary wild card. Laine could be an upgrade on Nylander or he could be a downgrade. He's certainly a big downgrade as he's playing now. No need for that kind of risk.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
No, like RNH, he is NOT a center that can be a #1 on a cup contender, (or has a chance to develop into one) which we would have to still trade for. And he would push Roslo to 3rd line, Jenner to 4th line when we get a 1C.

He is net negative for CBJ. If you want Laine; you'll have to find someone we could use...not more of what we already have.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I don't see the incentive for the Leafs. Nylander had proven chemistry with the core and brings cap stability being under contract longer.

Not to mention Laine seems like a major primadonna. Cried being on a good team because he wasn't the guy, and then gets to be the guy and then cries because that comes with doing more than sniping goals on the PP (which he doesn't even do anymore). I doubt he'd be happy in Toronto.

Wouldn't move Nylander for him. Would move some futures but nothing like CBJ would expect.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
He's not getting a raise after this year. It will be a one year QO and prove it year.

The bigger reason the Leafs wouldn't do it is because it's an unnecessary wild card. Laine could be an upgrade on Nylander or he could be a downgrade. He's certainly a big downgrade as he's playing now. No need for that kind of risk.

Pretty much this.

If the Leafs do decide to move on from Nylander, it will be to get a couple of cheaper players who play tougher than he does....

That's not Patrick Lane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad