Colton Gillies

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
-Skates faster than anyone in his age group(see the skills testing for the top prospects game
-Has an ability to play wing, centre, defensive
-Played on a team this year with 0 1987 born players which is unheard of
-Has only played forward for 2 years
-Has the top skill set of any player in the draft.

Good enough reason for first round?

Oh yeah 6'4 203

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
-Skates faster than anyone in his age group(see the skills testing for the top prospects game

Oh yeah 6'4 203

lol Top skill set of any player in the draft??? That's quite a claim, not that his skillset isn't reasonably impressive with that size and speed, but he doesn't have hands.

Bryzga lol*

Yeah, WHL Follower's posts aren't really worth the read.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I mean i know stats don't tell the whole story but at little more production in the junior leagues are at least required. He may be a very trainable player and maybe coaches love him but with such little offensive production as a forward, i'm not sure if he will got in the 1st round at all

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Do people try to hype themselves or their favorite prospect up on HF, in hopes he will go higher in the draft? I'm sure HF is visited by quite a few NHL scouts from time to time, and its pretty reasonable to assume a lot of players have been through here as well. Its just wierd how before the draft you get random posters jumping on starting posts to the effect that ____ is the best thing since sliced bread. I've definately seen media snowballs started from rumours on internet BBs before, I wonder if HF hype is worth anything at all.

TheHoser

Jul 13, 2006
English Quebec

Oh yeah 6'4 203

... and the hockey sense of an 4th-line AHL hanger-on...

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph

Oh yeah 6'4 203
are you Colton Gillies? or his mom? or his agent?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Do people try to hype themselves or their favorite prospect up on HF, in hopes he will go higher in the draft? I'm sure HF is visited by quite a few NHL scouts from time to time, and its pretty reasonable to assume a lot of players have been through here as well. Its just wierd how before the draft you get random posters jumping on starting posts to the effect that ____ is the best thing since sliced bread. I've definately seen media snowballs started from rumours on internet BBs before, I wonder if HF hype is worth anything at all.

lets try. lol. just find someone who is projected to go in the third or fourth round. then everyone joins in and give the biggest hype ever and see where he ends up.:biglaugh:

just a thought.:D

onthejob

Feb 18, 2007
If he is 6'4" and can skate but has difficulty scoring; why would anyone move him to forward in the 1st place? There aren't enough quality D men that have size AND mobility. Move him back.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Give him guys to play with and you'll see a dynomite player above all PA Raiders have in the past 10 years including CHIPPER!!! overated= chipper.

if he was any good offensively he would have had more then 27 points. no matter who he's linemates are.

NewGuy

Jun 29, 2002
I think his size and skating combined with his lack of offensive awareness indicate that he should be on defence and not at forward. I have a feeling if the team that drafts him moves him back to defence then they will have themselves a solid NHL player for a long time.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Im not the coach but maybe because of his 'stone hands', the coach moved him to forward because he would make too many turnovers?

Im just pulling this out of my ass since i have never seen the guy player or seen any1 in the WHL play

baboinfou

Mar 31, 2006
Give him guys to play with and you'll see a dynomite player above all PA Raiders have in the past 10 years including CHIPPER!!! overated= chipper.

He played with good players at the Top Prospects game and was nearly invisible. Looked out of place!

brightscout

Jan 24, 2007
Colton Gillies is the most overrated player in this draft. I don't think he should be a 1st round pick.

Why? Because vision is everything in hockey. The most important thing a hockey player should have is hockey sense...

33Roy33

Jun 22, 2006
Corner Brook
Seems like people love this guy or hate him. He is the guy with the biggest variation of opinions on in this draft by far. Some say high 1st, others say low 2nd even 3rd.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
I was wondering why he is always ranked very high in draft rankings? His statistics don't look very impressive. What is it with this guy?

Raw ability gets guys noticed first and it sounds like this guy has both the size (obviously) and skating ability to play in the bigs however you have to be able to play the game(hockey sense) and keep improving which it sounds like it has not been happening. I've never seen him play so I don't know but I've seen other guys ( Jeff Ware and Ben Eager ) go very high based solely (IMO) on physical ability.
Personally I wouldn't draft him where he will end up but it will be interesting to see where he goes and who takes him.
I'll bet it won't be one of the better drafting teams like the Devils.

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
He played with good players at the Top Prospects game and was nearly invisible. Looked out of place!

Except for the couple brilliant displays of stickwork, passing ability, and explosive acceleration and skating ability. He wasn't nearly as physical as I thought he'd be for sure.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
if he was any good offensively he would have had more then 27 points. no matter who he's linemates are.

I've seen him play a fair amount and yes he is no superstar but I think your over rating the Blades a bit. The Saskatoon Blades are horrible this year, they are doing a little better than thier record breaking bad season a few years back but they still are one of the worst WHL teams this year.

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
Gillies was shifted from forward to D and back again last night vs the Pats. Not sure why, but he responded well. He had two penalties early in the first and then was put on D. Moved the puck quite well. Then, in the 3rd, he was back up front. Got a breakaway but was hooked from behind and forced to his backhand. Made a nice hit in OT, and scored in the shootout. Great turnaround. Now, if he had consistency.

He is faster than any player out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad