Colton Gilles

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
it is nephew

I've never been reaaaaaaaaallly impressed with Gillies from the Blades games i've gone to, he doesnt have any scoring touch, but he is a very good checker and can throw some vicious hits, over all i'd say he's a very safe pick but again I've never really seen what caused all the hype awhile back

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
wasnt gillies ranked #1 by mckeens a year ago?? i believe a year ago the top 5 looked something like this.

gillies
esposito
sutter
couture
backlund

things have really changed the last year. there is a chanse that all of those guys falls out of the top 10.

i have a feeling gillies will be picked in the second round.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
I've never seen this guy play but a lot of the reports remind me of Ben Eager ( who I did see a lot of ) a few years back. Great skater , checker but very little in the play-making and goal scoring department.
What does that get you down the line ? I third or fourth line crash bang type I suppose.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Like i said in another thread , i think that Gillies will either develop into an Ethan Moreau type at best and a Chad Kilger type at worse.

In any case i think that he's a sure fire 3rd/4th liner NHLer.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Like i said in another thread , i think that Gillies will either develop into an Ethan Moreau type at best and a Chad Kilger type at worse.

In any case i think that he's a sure fire 3rd/4th liner NHLer.

I think Gillies can develop a offensive side. Ive only watched him in two games this year(u18s), and a few times when he was 15, so I am no expert. But he does have terrific hockey sense, and is somewhat of a playmaker. He looked pretty good when I saw him, he made a couple great passing plays and is pretty dynamic.
That being said he has blazing speed, and good size. He is a leader on the ice, and can play good defensive hockey, and can hit like a monster.
I think he may be one of the big surprises of this years draft. I think he has the ability to become one of the best players that come out of this draft year.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I think Gillies can develop a offensive side. Ive only watched him in two games this year(u18s), and a few times when he was 15, so I am no expert. But he does have terrific hockey sense, and is somewhat of a playmaker. He looked pretty good when I saw him, he made a couple great passing plays and is pretty dynamic.
That being said he has blazing speed, and good size. He is a leader on the ice, and can play good defensive hockey, and can hit like a monster.
I think he may be one of the big surprises of this years draft. I think he has the ability to become one of the best players that come out of this draft year.

Juding by video clips only, he is uncoordinated at this stage, but his hands aren't that bad. Decent hands. And decent vision too. Not coordinated at all though.

McKeens

gillies

No, I don't believe Gillies was ever ranked that high, however if memory serves we did have him in the top 10.

wasnt gillies ranked #1 by mckeens a year ago?? i believe a year ago the top 5 looked something like this.

gillies
esposito
sutter
couture
backlund

things have really changed the last year. there is a chanse that all of those guys falls out of the top 10.

i have a feeling gillies will be picked in the second round.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
No, I don't believe Gillies was ever ranked that high, however if memory serves we did have him in the top 10.

im pretty sure mckeens had him ranked #1 a year ago. actually im allmost 100% sure.

are you really working for mckeens??

DB21

Jun 11, 2007
Just to Clear things up about Gillies

Just to clear things up about Gillies. I am a Blades season ticket holder and I believe this kid is the real deal. The first time I seen him step on the ice as a 15 yr old he caught my eye. This kid reminds me of Mike Modano. I grew up in Prince Albert and was priviledged enough to see Mike Modano play junior hockey. I havn't seen a player as special as Modano in a long time until Gillies came around. I think Gillies has alot of potential, with his size and speed (not to mention an overall great kid). His point production is low and I will admit I was expecting more out of him this season, but he shouldn't be playing center. For one thing he can't win a draw for the life of him and for two he should be playing the wing where he could take that long pass and blow by the defense with his speed. I noticed he was playing left wing in the U18 tourney and did quit well playing with Espo. Where ever this kid goes in the draft he will not disapoint. I just wish Molleken would try him out on left wing.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Well, he does sound like a Burke-type of player so if he's available at #16, I wouldn't be surprised to see Burke get him.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
Just to clear things up about Gillies. I am a Blades season ticket holder and I believe this kid is the real deal. The first time I seen him step on the ice as a 15 yr old he caught my eye. This kid reminds me of Mike Modano. I grew up in Prince Albert and was priviledged enough to see Mike Modano play junior hockey. I havn't seen a player as special as Modano in a long time until Gillies came around. I think Gillies has alot of potential, with his size and speed (not to mention an overall great kid). His point production is low and I will admit I was expecting more out of him this season, but he shouldn't be playing center. For one thing he can't win a draw for the life of him and for two he should be playing the wing where he could take that long pass and blow by the defense with his speed. I noticed he was playing left wing in the U18 tourney and did quit well playing with Espo. Where ever this kid goes in the draft he will not disapoint. I just wish Molleken would try him out on left wing.

well if what your saying is true (i also grew up in pa and now live in stoon) would you agree he looked his best all year when he played defense for the blades ? also the kid needs to learn how to hit and to let up when he is driving for a guys #'s i personally dont think he will amount to much but i think switching to defense could change that

side note the poster who said something about gillies being rated #1. well that was just a list of the top skaters (in no particular order)

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
He is no superstar but one must not overlook how horrible the Blades were this year, with the departure of players such as Setoguchi, Barnes and Rabbit he didn't really have anyone half decent to play with.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Go ahead and take him NYI, I don't want Montreal to take him. The quicker he's off the board, the better.

He's a good player by the way, but Montreal is loaded with 3rd/4th line prospects and drafting Gillies is not something that fits Montreal's needs.

kblanch1

Mar 3, 2002
Manchester, CT
Visit site
When I spoke to a scout in Lewiston this year, he mentioned that Gillies was raw, but an absolute PERFECT physical type that they look for. He has great size with room to fill out...and decent speed.
He also has a good work ethic. Maybe he'll come out of the draft with something to prove if he slips to the 2nd round?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
When I spoke to a scout in Lewiston this year, he mentioned that Gillies was raw, but an absolute PERFECT physical type that they look for. He has great size with room to fill out...and decent speed.
He also has a good work ethic. Maybe he'll come out of the draft with something to prove if he slips to the 2nd round?

actually he has excellent speed. he is one of the fastest skaters in the draft. maybe even #2, behind sweatt.

DB21

Jun 11, 2007
He did look good on D, but I still would like to see him on the wing. He may not let up on some hits and drives guys in the numbers, but last time I checked the NHL does not call that ( even though they should). I could be wrong on this guy or I might be bias but I am really high on this kid. When I get to Saskplace and Gillies isn't in the lineup I am truly disapointed. I actually would love to see him in a Habs uni.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->