OT: Colour Scheme

Russian Roulette

Jul 27, 2016
Sin City, NV
We all know how the St. Pats (who wore green by the way) & Areanas who became the maple leafs do to Conn Smythe being in the regiment. But I was wondering where the colour scheme came from?

Seems more québécois to me.

Anyone know this one?

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
They get the blue and white from the Varsity Blues, the University of Toronto's intercollegiate sports program. Smythe had captained the hockey team to a title in 1915.

@Killion pointed out to me last week that the Toronto Argonauts, who also wear blue and white, were founded in 1873, four years earlier than the Varsity Blues, and thus may be the origin for blue becoming the main colour for Toronto's sports teams. Indeed, the Argos' Wikipedia page implies that is the case. However, upon further research conducted... well, right now... the University of Toronto's coat-of-arms were granted in 1857 and use the colours blue-and-white. So the colour scheme may indeed originate from UofT afterall.

Either way... blue-and-white have always been Toronto's sporting colours, despite the Raptors (lol purple) and Toronto FC (Canadian red-and-white for then the only Canadian club in the MLS) deviating from that trend. It also long predates Québec's use of blue and white, the Fleurdelisé flag only being adopted as late as 1948, although its origins go back to 1902.

Last edited:

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Wish the Raptors had kept the blue&white trend going. Like Pittsburgh with the black & yellow, it would have been cool to have continuity across all the sports.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Wish the Raptors had kept the blue&white trend going. Like Pittsburgh with the black & yellow, it would have been cool to have continuity across all the sports.

Same with TFC. I've always liked the idea of that colour continuity as well.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I thought the Toronto colour scheme of Blue and White basically came from the Scottish flag, distilled through the Argos, U of T traditions over the years. But then Conn Smythe was an Irishman who turned a Green and White Irish named team into a Blue and White. Ah, who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->