Colorado Rockies

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
Here is the goaltender who guided the rockies to there only playoff apperance in the 1978 playoffs former philadelphia flyer and toronto maple leaf Doug Favell.he kept the rockies in those playoff games against the flyers.
They made the playoffs with a 19-40-21 record.

Twelve of 18 NHL teams made the playoffs. The four division champions received bies for the best-of-three preliminary round. The next four teams from each conference qualified also qualified, but they had to play a best-of-three. The Second Round was best-of-five, and the Semi-Finals and Stanley Cup Finals were best-of-seven.

The Rockies certainly did compete with the Flyers. The first game went to overtime in Philadelphia, and the second game of the best-of-three was 3-1. That was a very strong Philadelphia team, and the Rockies were not very good.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
They made the playoffs with a 19-40-21 record.

Twelve of 18 NHL teams made the playoffs. The four division champions received bies for the best-of-three preliminary round. The next four teams from each conference qualified also qualified, but they had to play a best-of-three. The Second Round was best-of-five, and the Semi-Finals and Stanley Cup Finals were best-of-seven.

The Rockies certainly did compete with the Flyers. The first game went to overtime in Philadelphia, and the second game of the best-of-three was 3-1. That was a very strong Philadelphia team, and the Rockies were not very good.

Though the Flyers won their opening round PO series in 1978, 1979 and 1980, they struggled in the opening game of each series against teams with bad records. In 1978 (Colorado) and 1980 (first year NHL -- Edmonton), the Flyers needed OT for the wins. In 1979 (Vancouver), they lost in the first of a best-of-three series then went to Vancouver and won a thrilling Game 2 with less than a minute to go.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
The fact here is that Lanny could not get the rockies into the playoffs but wilf paiement did get them into there only playoff apperance in the scouts-rockies history.

The key word with both teams was "goaltending". Lanny's team would have made the playoffs (I think this is in Don Cherry's book "Grapes") if they had had a number one goaltender. The 1978 Rockies had enough goaltending to get them into the playoffs.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
The key word with both teams was "goaltending". Lanny's team would have made the playoffs (I think this is in Don Cherry's book "Grapes") if they had had a number one goaltender. The 1978 Rockies had enough goaltending to get them into the playoffs.

Mike Jones!...WHO?....Mike Jones!

Kingsfan65

May 8, 2007
Wow, A Colorado Rocky Hockey thread. As a season ticket holder to the club from 79-81 they remain my all-time favorite team. Yeah, we sucked. Yeah Don Cherry was goofy, yeah Crazy George beat the hell out of an annoying drum and yeah we traded Barry Beck for who????

But those were great times. Nights at Big Mac are missed.

Barrasso35

I remember reading a Hockey News article about Durbano sometime around 97 or 98. Depressing story that ended up not having a happy ending.
Here's some info on Durbano from Wikipedia. That's almost as bad as Brian "Spinner" Spencer.
Wow, A Colorado Rocky Hockey thread. As a season ticket holder to the club from 79-81 they remain my all-time favorite team. Yeah, we sucked. Yeah Don Cherry was goofy, yeah Crazy George beat the hell out of an annoying drum and yeah we traded Barry Beck for who????

But those were great times. Nights at Big Mac are missed.
At least you have a team now, though... Kansas City is still waiting for one. (For the record, I'm very glad the Penguins didn't move to KC.)

Why is it that the KC-CO-NJ teams had really, really ugly uniforms until the Devils changed the green to black? Who designed those color schemes?

Kingsfan65

May 8, 2007
What do you mean Colorao had ugly uni's. They ruled. Loved em'. Chico Resch never looked so good.

Barrasso35

What do you mean Colorao had ugly uni's. They ruled. Loved em'. Chico Resch never looked so good.
LOL! Well, I guess it's all a matter of opinion. I don't think they looked very good... but they're better than some modern NHL jerseys. I think it was the red pants that did it for me... hideous.
ChicoRock.jpg
goaliefavellrockies.jpg

Kingsfan65

May 8, 2007
Where do you get all these classic Rockies pics?????
What ever happened to Lucien DeBlois???

Barrasso35

Where do you get all these classic Rockies pics?????
Google image search for "Chico Resch Rockies."
What ever happened to Lucien DeBlois???
He was an assistant coach for the KC Blades of the IHL (then head coach, if I remember correctly) then I don't know what happened to him. I have his Blades card, though.

EDIT: Found it... google again.

Wikipedia Entry

DeBlois later on became an assistant coach with the Kansas City Blades in the IHL during two seasons. Notably one as Co-coach during the second year. Following this stint in the IHL, he was hired as a Pro scout for the Anaheim Mighty Ducks. He later signed with the Vancouver Canucks a few years later and is currently still under contract with the same team. He currently lives in Montreal.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
LOL! Well, I guess it's all a matter of opinion. I don't think they looked very good... but they're better than some modern NHL jerseys. I think it was the red pants that did it for me... hideous.
ChicoRock.jpg
goaliefavellrockies.jpg
They just took the state flag and made a jersey out of it, but it looks good.

colorado-flag.jpg

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
The fact here is that Lanny could not get the rockies into the playoffs but wilf paiement did get them into there only playoff apperance in the scouts-rockies history.

they only made the playoffs because the Smythe divison sucked, and second place got you in. its not really a stunning endorsement of Paiemont's leadership.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
Colorado

Yep Lanny's full season he led the Rockies to a better record and this was after the Jersey talk cast a pall over the organization.

Well your 1980-81 rockies with lanny mcdonald had good goaltenders in net with Al Smith, Phil Myre and Chico Resch and still could not get into the playoffs.the 1977-78 rockies had Doug Favell along with Wilf Paiement and made the playoffs.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Careerwise, Lanny McDonald had a better one than Paiemont. But as a Rockie, Paiemont had better numbers. Lanny had the 66 goal year, yes, but little else. Paiemont was there longer, and had 2 40 goal seasons, and got them to the playoffs. Granted, Lanny had the added burden of having Don Cherry as coach, so....;)

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
One of the first (non-British) items of hockey memorabilia that I got was a Chico Resch autographed 8x10 with him in a Rockies uniform. Those jerseys rocked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->