Colorado Avalanche

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamesforevah

Feb 29, 2004
Not sure if this has been debated to any great length, so....

Given that Denver has been blessed with a contender since the day the Nords came to town, will the city support the Avs if and when they start to suck? The fans in Denver have continued to sell out the rink in record numbers over the last ten years all the while being spoiled with a bona fide cup contender.

Will Denver continue to be a "solid hockey market" if the tide turns against them and they are faced with supporting a mediocre, or even worse, a crap team?

Thoughts?

se7en*

I think so. They had all the luck in the world to be handed a team that won a Cup in their 1st year in Denver, and that would solidfy any fanbase. The Rockies were before my time but now when I think of their fanbase they are very passionate fans and it's pretty obvious they love their team. Even if the Avalanche fall into the the basement I think the fans would still care - time has shown Colorado one of the most prolific franchises and I don't think that will change. It hurts that the Nords moved but at least Denver fans have embraced them as their own and love their team.

But then, you can compare this with my team after a fashion. We were spoiled rotten from Gretzky and Co. from the beginning and attendance dwindled later due to being angry enough with Pocklington to chew rocks and a consistent basement dweller. But nowadays we've proved we will sell out a loser and nothing from Denver has indicated to me that Avalanche won't do the same.

chiavsfan

The Avalanche are starting to be sort of Chicago Cubs-like in their fan base. It seems they have fans all over the US, and some fans in Canada. I for one know at least 6 or 7 die hard in the northern Suburbs of Chicago (Where I am). I feel even if they fall into the basement, they have the core to stay near the top for a long time. So yes, I think it's a viable market

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
I think Colorado will be alot like Pittsburgh was in the late 1990s. Their attendance will be solid but nothing like it was during its peak years. Most teams see a drop in interest when they aren't as successful so I don't see why Colorado would be much different.

mooseOAK*

This is a good point in defining what is and isn't a good hockey market. We don't know if Denver would be any better than some of these other markets that people complain about because they have never had to suffer while other struggling markets may be okay if they had a team that won consistently. Had the Nordiques moved to Miami then people could be could be complaining about Denver being around instead.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
when was the last time denver missed the playoffs? frankly, I dont think that the denver market has anything to worry about. the franchise is fully established and unless they go on a new york rangers like streak of embarrassment they will remain strong.

I am sure they will lose some attendance if they become bad for even a year, thats natural.

But, I think that Colorado's current roster situation and the coming salary cap will be a good mix in the end. Colorado is reaching the end of the line on several of their top players and a salary cap system allows for teams with good decision makers to make a quick rebuild. the only difference is that there will be more competition for the playoff spots.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
txpd said:
when was the last time denver missed the playoffs? frankly, I dont think that the denver market has anything to worry about. the franchise is fully established and unless they go on a new york rangers like streak of embarrassment they will remain strong.

I am sure they will lose some attendance if they become bad for even a year, thats natural.

But, I think that Colorado's current roster situation and the coming salary cap will be a good mix in the end. Colorado is reaching the end of the line on several of their top players and a salary cap system allows for teams with good decision makers to make a quick rebuild. the only difference is that there will be more competition for the playoff spots.
You guys also gotta realize, Colorado doesnt have much in terms of prospects to build around for the future. It wont be a case of plugging in fresh bolts when the old ones wear out... they're going to tank for a few years

chiavsfan

That's been said before, that their prospect base isn't all that good, Hejduk wasn't considered a great prospect, neither was Tanguay at first. Pierre LaCroix and the scouting crew of the Avs have this knack for finding so called "diamonds in the rough."

Their trades for talent (ie...Christ Gratton, Kurt Sauer)...thats another story

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
chiavsfan said:
That's been said before, that their prospect base isn't all that good, Hejduk wasn't considered a great prospect, neither was Tanguay at first. Pierre LaCroix and the scouting crew of the Avs have this knack for finding so called "diamonds in the rough."

Their trades for talent (ie...Christ Gratton, Kurt Sauer)...thats another story
it's hard to argue that, when the parent of this forum has Colorado ranked at an obvious #30

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
DownFromNJ said:
When was the last time the Avs didn't sell out a game?

Come on. They'll be fine.
Where were your Devils located before moving to Jersey?

ResidentAlien*

Weary said:
Where were your Devils located before moving to Jersey?
They started as the Kansas City Scouts in the NHL's 1974 expansion, then moved to Denver Colorado as the Colorado Rockies, and finally to New Jersey as the Devils....but I assume the question was rhetorical
:joker:

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
a good gauge would be the general interest in the two NCAA teams as they head into the touney, From what I have seen on TV at least at DU the crowds are full and pretty loud. Of course DU is the returning champ, on top of the NCAA's and Colorado College is also ranked very high, but from what I understand the area has allways had a pretty good following of both programs, and NCAA D1 hockey is very outside of the mainstream.

also Denver was also sighted as how the NHL can be very popular locally, even if not nationaly. FSN said the Avs ratings were allways higher than both the rockie and Nuggets games, one big reason the ave ownership really wanted to play this year.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
the hardest thing to building a fan base in a new city is getting a consistent winner. winning breeds fans. fans go to games. going to games builds attachment... attachment builds continuation. same thing happened in philly, which is a big reason the market here is as strong as it is in my opinion.

so the avs should be fine after this long string of success... not in the least built upon fleecing my flyers in the lindros trade back in the day.

basically the avs/flyers are an example of the importance to the league of creating viable and competitive markets throughout the NHL... which will allow the teams to compete and create fan bases over longer periods of time and then keep them in the future. HOPEFULLY the owners will create a situation like that and the league will get stronger throughout and less top-heavy.

if that isn't a byproduct of all this crap, i will be very upset.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
the avs are the most popular hockey team in the world...they have fans in canada and many of them across the seas. there have been articles in the DP trying to legitimize these statements.

Shadder

Jan 26, 2005
jericholic19 said:
the avs are the most popular hockey team in the world...they have fans in canada and many of them across the seas. there have been articles in the DP trying to legitimize these statements.

The most pouplar hockey team in the world? Guess you never heard of the Detroit Red Wings?

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
rekrul said:
a good gauge would be the general interest in the two NCAA teams as they head into the touney, From what I have seen on TV at least at DU the crowds are full and pretty loud. Of course DU is the returning champ, on top of the NCAA's and Colorado College is also ranked very high, but from what I understand the area has allways had a pretty good following of both programs, and NCAA D1 hockey is very outside of the mainstream.

also Denver was also sighted as how the NHL can be very popular locally, even if not nationaly. FSN said the Avs ratings were allways higher than both the rockie and Nuggets games, one big reason the ave ownership really wanted to play this year.

True on all counts, and the strong tradition of college hockey in Colorado is just one example of how the strength of this market goes well beyond ties to specific successful seasons with the current NHL franchise. Obviously there are huge benefits to the Avs' sucess as well; that's undeniable (e.g. longest sellout streak in league history, stations enjoying hockey ratings that break records for all-time programming of any kind, too many examples to count of astronomical playoff ratings, etc.).

But it's broader than that too. Before the Avs even arrived in Denver, this market led all non-NHL markets in the nation in hockey TV ratings, by a mile... the NHL was thrilled to get back into this market. (And as a side note, any position using the former Rockies as some sort of critique of the Denver market is a horribly mis-informed position, given what really transpired with the ownership group at the time.) During the 2002 Winter Olympics, Denver led all US markets in TV ratings for the hockey portion of the Games, including a 46-share for the gold medal game (so nearly half of all television sets in use were tuned to that hockey game).

As was mentioned, the tradition of college hockey here is a long one, with both DU and CC. The Denver Post reported a while back that DU has the second best TV package deal in the nation, behind only Minnesota, which is pretty well-known for their incredible support for college hockey. It also goes beyond just watching hockey, though. Among all states with NHL teams, Colorado has the fourth highest per-capita participation rate in the sport of hockey (i.e., everyday people playing the game) behind only Minnesota, Massachussetts, and Michigan (in order).

It's a terrific hockey market and has been for a long time, with the sport pretty deeply ingrained in the mindset/culture of the city and the region.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
chiavsfan said:
The Avalanche are starting to be sort of Chicago Cubs-like in their fan base. It seems they have fans all over the US, and some fans in Canada. I for one know at least 6 or 7 die hard in the northern Suburbs of Chicago (Where I am). I feel even if they fall into the basement, they have the core to stay near the top for a long time. So yes, I think it's a viable market

While I wouldn't quite say Chicago Cubs like, I will agree with you they have a large fan base in Canada. But thats probably because they have/had some of Canada's greatest hockey heroes, like Joe Sakic, Adam Foote, Rob Blake and Patrick Roy. Patrick Roy especially was an idol for many Canadians, and some of my good friends and Avs fans because of him alone.

Hockee

Feb 22, 2005
Albuquerque
chiavsfan said:

There used to be a die-hard Avalanche fan from Detroit that used to come on these boards, didn't there?

Hockee

Feb 22, 2005
Albuquerque
Shadder said:
The most pouplar hockey team in the world? Guess you never heard of the Detroit Red Wings?

Detroit has a huge base in Detroit and regionally throughout Ontario and northern Ohio.

Colorado is insanely popular throughout the Rockies, from Omaha to Salt Lake City, from Albuqueruque to Tulsa. There is a big Avalanche following in Boston and Toronto. Not to mention that they are the de facto favorite team of many casual fans because they have been so good for so long.

And since we're talking about "the world," it should be mentioned that the Avs are BY FAR the most popular team throughout Sweden (because of Forsberg), as well as the Czech Republic.

Most NHL teams are regional at best. There are a handful of teams that are national. I can't think of more than two teams with an international following. And Colorado is one.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
You won't ever see the Avs tank under current managment/ownership... as they are the core of the new TV station for Kronke(sp)..

But, in another 1-3 seasons, you will see the team go through some rebuliding...

Any team with Alex Tanguay and Milan Hejduk is going to win games, at the very least contend each night...

Plus, Forsberg could have another 5-6 season with the franchise if he comes back from Europe.

They also have a coach that will win regular season with an OK team, as Coach Q. can turn the D up and play a LA Kings style of game...

The team will survive without Foote, Blake, and Sakic..

But it won't be the same..

They will kinda turn into the Atlanta Braves of hockey, in that they are rebuilding, but not folding as a club...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad