GDT: Colorado Avalanche vs Arizona Coyotes - Put Something on the Table - 1PM

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
My two cents to this Nemeth talk that was going on around here..

I think everyone knows he is clearly an NHL defenseman. If someone does not agree with that that person is arguing against a vast majority. Dude works hard and is a key player in one of the best PKs in the league. He is also pretty reliable when not asked to do too much.

He makes mistakes. All NHL players makes mistakes and mistakes by defensemen are often very noticeable. That being said, I don't think he makes a lot of horrible mistakes, one here and there. But that's natural unless your name is Vlasic or someone else who is defensively elite. The mistakes Nemeth usually make are icing related and failed attempts to clear the puck out of the zone, both of which are very visible to us fans.

The problem is if he is asked to play over 20 minutes a game for an extended period of time - he is not top pairing D and never should be played in that role. But it's also not his fault if the coach gives him too many minutes. And that's a depth related issue. It's not like he is going to tell the coach not to play him that much.

Is he perfect? No way, he has his shortcomings but that's the reason he isn't making 5M+ per year.

Is he good D? In my opinion, yes. The guy is a very good #5 that can work his ass off killing penalties and a bringing pretty stable presence to the ice and is pretty trustworthy. I'd like to see him extended for a year or two with 1-1.5M cap hit.

@21 clearly sees him in a slightly more positive light than most people and who can blame him. If I were Rantanens neighbour I think I'd see him in a different light than I do now. We're fans, we get emotional. Lets be polite with each other.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
If the Avs didn’t claim Nemeth at the start of the year, they don’t have the record they have today.

If the Avs didn’t have Nemeth, they would have started the year with Z being totally lost and a healthy scratch, no Sam Girard, which leaves Barberio, Lindholm, and probably Mironov down the left side.

Nemeth has brought stability, has been a great pker, and was the best partner Barrie has had for a large stretch of the season.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
If the choices are Barberio, Lindholm, Warsofsky, Siemens you have to go with Barberio. Hes frustrating as hell but hes the best option on that list sad to say. I would have Siemens in after that and then Lindholm and Warsofsky can go massage Mironov in Russia.
Tbh I'm starting to miss that guy haha.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Missed the game during the day yesterday, but was able to watch it last night. My favorite part has to be Ghetto's facial expressions before he planted OEL. After he was slashed, he looked at the ref to see if it was getting called, which it was so he kept going after the puck. Then OEL cross checks him and as he's stopping and OEL is trying to get in his face, you can read his lips saying "come on man, really??" right before he plants him on his ass. How OEL doesn't get an instigator and dive is beyond me. NHL reffing though, I guess. Not all that surprising.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Newborns in your neighborhood rollin' with AKs or some shivs? 'Cause the Avs PP is 4th in the league in goal scored, and has scored in something like 7 straight games.
Dude, everybody knows that if you don't score on every single PP, your PP sucks. :sarcasm:

Reactions: CobraAcesS and cgf

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
v66BPBx.jpg

Back at the top of the defense leech list.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I want Barrie to hit 60 points just to watch people argue that losing 60 points from a lineup will be completely inconsequential because defense.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I want Barrie to hit 60 points just to watch people argue that losing 60 points from a lineup will be completely inconsequential because defense.

I don't think anyone is arguing a net 60 point loss would be huge. But some feel that we could sustain the loss with Girard, Makar and the return Barrie would bring.

No need to act like that isn't possible.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I don't think anyone is arguing a net 60 point loss would be huge. But some feel that we could sustain the loss with Girard, Makar and the return Barrie would bring.

No need to act like that isn't possible.

We'll lose those 60 points because whoever we replace him with will score 0.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
We'll lose those 60 points because whoever we replace him with will score 0.

Would you rather have several players make up (and likely fall short) of Barrie's production? Or would you rather have Barrie's production plus the production of those several players adding up to far more than 60?

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I hope when EJ is back, Bednar still finds a way to get Barrie 24+ minutes a night. It’s finding a left defence combo that is the hard part, but Barrie definitely shouldn’t have his minutes cut back.

When playoffs roll around, the Avs are going to need both of them to play 27 minutes a night.

Reactions: cgf and CobraAcesS

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Newborns in your neighborhood rollin' with AKs or some shivs? 'Cause the Avs PP is 4th in the league in goal scored, and has scored in something like 7 straight games.

They might be :sarcasm:

nah, it just gets frustrating sometimes watching them pass 15 times then lose the puck.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Well getting hit square in the mask by a shot from OEL sure isn't good for you if you are just coming of off concussion. That looked bad and he kept shaking his head after that. He was probably seeing stars.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That likely closes the door on whether to bring him back or not.

I doubt it actually. Sakic obviously really likes him. If he recovers fine, even missing the rest of this year, there is probably as good of a chance as any. He'd still be a more familiar hire than any other goalie on the market and likely still one of probably the top two or three available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad