NCAA: College Football Playoff going to 12-team format in 2026

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I guess the question is if we even still have 6 conferences in 2026. A lifeline here to the Pac-12

It’s been a power 5 big10, sec , acc, big12 and pac12.

Never counting the mac or wac or anything else. So to see them note 6 conf champs is interesting.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It’s been a power 5 big10, sec , acc, big12 and pac12.

Never counting the mac or wac or anything else. So to see them note 6 conf champs is interesting.
American. But it’s ‘top 6 conference champions’ so, theoretically you could get a group of five champion in over a power 5 champion. It would never happen to the SEC or Big Ten, but in 2020 (yes there was Covid), Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina get in over the Pac-12 champion USC (or Oregon who took their spot).

Elvis P

Black Sabbath
Dec 10, 2007
Paranoid
Until the current 4 team contract expires, it can't happen. More than 4 is incredibly stupid, but posters don't understand why and will disagree with me.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
>more pointless and uncompetitive football games
in this current era, the BCS would be better than a playoff

Reactions: Elvis P

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
>more pointless and uncompetitive football games
in this current era, the BCS would be better than a playoff
With more teams making the PO it would allow schools to schedule tougher games since they can afford another loss as there are 8 more PO spots. Can’t guarantee that you make it with 2 losses.

Elvis P

Black Sabbath
Dec 10, 2007
Paranoid
With more teams making the PO it would allow schools to schedule tougher games since they can afford another loss as there are 8 more PO spots. Can’t guarantee that you make it with 2 losses.
Scheduling is a separate and different issue. It doesn't justify this.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Scheduling is a separate and different issue. It doesn't justify this.
I do agree that 12 seems too much. All it does is that it likely gives the top 4 a bye and the 5-12 teams play and then it becomes a field of 8. Not sure those 4 games are necessary.

I think 8 works and should be enough. But we’ve seen Alabama and Georgia easily handle the likes of Washington, Cincinnati, Norte Dame, etc. There is a clear separate from the top 2/3 to the ones that people argue to be 4-6.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I'd like to think this is a good move but there have been way more blowouts than close, nail-biting games in the playoffs with just 4 teams. It does give some of the less elite/former blue blood programs more hope and will make a shitload of money so I understand.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That isn’t going to happen, every power 5 school will look at it and think 10 wins (against FBS teams) should get them in the playoff. If anything they will schedule easier games.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It's a corporate money grab guided by TV stations. I think it worsens a lot of the ailments already in the sport.
It has always ben a corporate money grab. Only bg name teams can mke the final 4. A relative unknown team has to be superhuman to qualify.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It has always ben a corporate money grab. Only bg name teams can mke the final 4. A relative unknown team has to be superhuman to qualify.
At this point in time this complaint is like saying amateur teams should have a way to compete for the Stanley Cup still. I mean yeah it's technically correct that it's exclusive to the NHL now which wasn't always the case and technically even a super super good amateur team full of legendary stars would not be able to play for it, which could be construed as unfair. In practice of course it makes zero difference because amateur teams aren't even realistically in the same ballpark.

The beneficiary of the expansion isn't an Arkansas State or a Southern Miss or Coastal Carolina playing a great season, it's a Florida or LSU losing 2 games. The 3rd best SEC team in a given year is likely good enough to beat most of the rest of college football, so if they make the playoff they can probably go to the Final. So this will actually just make it harder for other teams.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I'm fine with it.

For the people against it, do you also think the NFL should just be for division winners aka 8 team playoff, or the NHL should just be a 4 team playoff? If so, that's fair. I don't agree with it but I better understand your reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad