Collapse of Regional Sports Networks (Diamond Sports Group files bankruptcy, Warner-Discovery looking to leave business, Xfinity drops Bally)

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Seattle is sort of unique here in that it isn't due to collapse of RSN, it's by choice.

Also fits the market. ROOT is owned by the Mariners, it's a Mariners channel -- though they had excellent Kraken coverage, still a Mariners channel.

Every other Seattle area based professional team was/is OTA. Sounders before the Apple deal. Storm. Reign, the select T-Birds games that are broadcast are OTA, also.

Seawolves are split OTA & ROOT.

So it was kind of weird from the start that Kraken went with ROOT/Mariners instead of local NBC/FOX affiliates where all the other area pro sports teams are.
Uhh, not really.

There's the Big 4 and everybody else. NFL is a different beast, of course. NHL team doing what the MLB team does is far more normal than following the foot steps of those lesser leagues.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Really happy it's $18/mo. The equivalent NESN product is $30/mo. I'm sure it'll go up once they get their view base up though.

Every team should have this.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Local Comcast pulled Bally Sports yesterday. So now, the only way to watch LIVE Braves games is on DirecTV or something called Fubo. MLB still blacks out games and the Bally Sports app doesn't show the games live, just a replay the following day.

They were negotiating a new extension and they couldn't agree and they're blaming each other. I hate Comcast, but I think it's obvious it's the fault of the company that's declared bankruptcy.

Wonder if the Braves could just sue at this point and get out of their contract. This is ridiculous.

Think it's behind a paywall:

No more Braves games on Bally Sports for Comcast customers

Dec 29, 2004
The email I got about 5 minutes ago:

Xfinity Entertainment Update

Bally Sports is no longer available

Unfortunately, our programming agreement with Diamond Sports Group has expired.
This means we no longer have the rights to carry their channels, including your
local Bally Sports network.

The loss of this channel will result in savings that we'll pass along to you,
and you'll see a monthly credit on your bill in the coming weeks. You don't need
to do anything to receive your credit; we'll automatically apply it to your
upcoming monthly bill statement.

We know that unexpected changes to your channel lineup can be frustrating. We've
been flexible with Diamond Sports Group, who is in bankruptcy proceedings, but
have been unable to reach an agreement that’s fair for our customers.

Great sports programming, including NBA, NHL, and MLB national coverage, is
still available with Xfinity. Just say "Sports" into your Xfinity Voice Remote
to explore your options.

We remain committed to bringing you the best in entertainment and will continue
to work to provide you with the most choices at the lowest cost.

Thank you for being an Xfinity customer.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, I've had Xfinity basically for 15 years now, and this is the first time I can remember getting an email from them like this.

Screenshot_20240501-094912_Gmail.jpg

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
I wonder how many viewers have gone to pirate streams because it's just too complex and expensive to see all your team's games legally. Even if the NHL fixes this, they may not come back.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
I wonder how many viewers have gone to pirate streams because it's just too complex and expensive to see all your team's games legally. Even if the NHL fixes this, they may not come back.
They should be arrested for piracy.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

It wasn't that difficult before. Most everyone has a cell phone, and is capable of downloading apps. Bally's had an app, so you could watch wherever you were.

Granted, this is limited for DVR and such, but to say it was too complex, just isn't true.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
VGK has streaming option for those in TV region, KnightTime+. Like $70/year.

(I managed to get OTA Tablo which will allow me to watch games live. But I can't seem to be able to record games.)

Fubo is very deceptive in that there's an additional $15/month cost for sports access (and they don't offer TBS/TNT).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad