OT: Cole Caufield fantasy question

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
(if not appropriate thread mods please delete)

I posted my question on the Fantasy board, but wanted to check with fans who see him all the time.

Have a chance to get Caufield (keeper league) for Vasi.

Those who do fantasy hockey, what do you think? I want to do it, but wondering if my American bias for an American player has me off base.

Should I pull the trigger? and Trade Vasilevskiy?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
What kind of league format? Points only? How many people

Would need more info.
Sure, thanks for asking.

10 teams. Each GM keeps 6 players.

head to head league.

Skaters= G, PPG, PPA, SHG, GWG, +/-, HT

Goalies= W +3, L -2, Saves .25, Goals against -1.

Current pt per game average
Vasi 4.9. 178 total ft points, but has missed a lot of games, the top 7 or 8 best goalies in our league currently average 6+,

Caufield 3.1. (which is replacement level), 195 points.

So if I get Caufield, I am banking on this potential to get a lot closer to 4 ft. points per game.

This has been a very down year for Vasi, injury and then hasn't played well. He should rebound. So I have no problem keeping him. But I am intrigued about Caufield and his potential.

My current keepers would be
McDavid, Zibanejad, J. Roberston, Makar, Vasi, Georgiev.

With the trade it would be
McDavid, Zibby, Robertson, Caufield, Makar, Georgiev.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A few things to consider.

1. He’s a shooting machine. Last I checked he was 8th in the league. This should hold true going forward.

2. Still really young. He has consistently produced goals throughout the minors. We had a bad coach here who misused him in his rookie season. He scored 1 goal in 40 games, until that coach was fired. In his next 82 games he scored 48 goals. That is insane production for a player that young.

3. His underlying play has been good this year. Getting chances, making some great passes… but, he shat the bed goal wise. His shooting percentage is under 9. Him not getting 30 goals is a huge disappointment this year.

4. He had an injury last year. Don’t know if that’s haunted him this season but something to consider.

In my opinion he SHOULD be a 40+ goal guy going forward. Had you asked at the beginning of the year it’d be a no brainer. But it’s been a tough year so there is risk that wasn’t there before.

Sounds like it’s a sell low/buy low type deal. Based on age and upside, I would trade for Caufield. Unfortunately though, it’s no longer a deal without risk.

The good: The upside is awesome and the shot numbers are among the best in the league. He could be a 50 goal guy.

The bad: Rough year goal wise.

The ugly: I can’t explain his low shooting percentage. He should be a 40 goal guy this year. Why he’s below 9 on shooting percentage I don’t think anyone knows. Maybe it’s an injury but his play is good so I don’t think so.

Reactions: td_ice

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
A few things to consider.

1. He’s a shooting machine. Last I checked he was 8th in the league. This should hold true going forward.

2. Still really young. He has consistently produced goals throughout the minors. We had a bad coach here who misused him in his rookie season. He scored 1 goal in 40 games, until that coach was fired. In his next 82 games he scored 48 goals. That is insane production for a player that young.

3. His underlying play has been good this year. Getting chances, making some great passes… but, he shat the bed goal wise. His shooting percentage is under 9. Him not getting 30 goals is a huge disappointment this year.

4. He had an injury last year. Don’t know if that’s haunted him this season but something to consider.

In my opinion he SHOULD be a 40+ goal guy going forward. Had you asked at the beginning of the year it’d be a no brainer. But it’s been a tough year so there is risk that wasn’t there before.

Sounds like it’s a sell low/buy low type deal. Based on age and upside, I would trade for Caufield. Unfortunately though, it’s no longer a deal without risk.

The good: The upside is awesome and the shot numbers are among the best in the league. He could be a 50 goal guy.

The bad: Rough year goal wise.

The ugly: I can’t explain his low shooting percentage. He should be a 40 goal guy this year. Why he’s below 9 on shooting percentage I don’t think anyone knows. Maybe it’s an injury but his play is good so I don’t think so.
Exactly the kind of insight I was looking for, from fans that know all about him. Great stuff.

You nailed it, with the sell low, buy low deal. The old, if he didn't have a down year, he wouldn't be available. Which could be said for both players.

I think there's every reason to believe Vasi should rebound and return to form next season. Which would place him up among the top goalies in fantasy.

The flip side, if Caufield does realize his potential, it's a home run. With a perennial 40+ goal scorer. And getting the guy who is 6-7 years younger, whether Vasi does well or not. I'll take the stud goal scorer who is just a kid right now.

Thanks again for the post. Gives me great insight to consider.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This is about fantasy hockey, I don’t see caufield outproducing Vasi.
It's an interesting question. One is young coming off a disappointing year the other is older coming off injuries. Could go either way.

I think it comes down to how much faith you have in Caufield. He's not even in his prime yet. In a keeper league - if you believe in him, I think he's the right choice due to age.

Reactions: td_ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad