Colby Armstrong

Habs33

Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
Not sure if still considered prospect, but i understand he will be paired with Crosby next year.

In any case, what is this kid's potential? is he a sniper or playmaker. what kind of numbers will he put up?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
clefty said:
He's a physical, two-way forward with some nice touch.

The touch part and goal scoring is the surprising part of his game. He was supposed to bring mostly grit. It will be very interesting to see if he keeps it up and builds on it next year. The answer to the thread depends on that question, what he does to build on this nice start next year.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Habs33 said:
is he a true top six forward?

He was projected as 3rd line agitator/pk type, but his instincts might elevate him into a top six role. I have to say, I'm really surprised by how talented he is, he does all the little things right too. Colby was one of the few good surprises this year.

The Little Swede

May 11, 2006
The Beach!
Can't really say I'm "suprised" by what he's done this year. Saw him play a lot in junior and he knows how to mix it up that's for sure. But is also a really smart player who can score and works hard.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
He's funny as hell. :D I watched a few games on Center Ice this year when they had him mic'd up and he was saying some hilarious stuff.

He kind of reminds me of Ryan Smyth. He doesn't really stand out in terms of talent, but he works hard and gets it done.

I'd say he'll put up 60-80 points. I don't know if he is a top six forward with someone else, but he is with Crosby that's for sure.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Bank Shot said:
He's funny as hell. :D I watched a few games on Center Ice this year when they had him mic'd up and he was saying some hilarious stuff.

Haha, yeah, he should be mic'd for every game. He never stops, I guess during one of the games where Bob Errey sat between the benches, Colby was telling him that he was in the way of his trash talking.

It was pretty funny to see him blowing kisses to Ryan Kesler too. He also told Rod Brind'Amour that he looks like a camel, which is disturbingly accurate.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Zen Arcade said:
Haha, yeah, he should be mic'd for every game. He never stops, I guess during one of the games where Bob Errey sat between the benches, Colby was telling him that he was in the way of his trash talking.

It was pretty funny to see him blowing kisses to Ryan Kesler too. He also told Rod Brind'Amour that he looks like a camel, which is disturbingly accurate.
Kesler also looks quite a bit like a camel as well.

vcx*

Rattray said:
Ryan Malone will play with Crosby. He's a much better winger.

He's a better centre than he is a winger, pencil him in on the 3rd line and your top 2 lines being Crosby & Malkin. That'd be deadly.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
the chemistry him and crosby share is also something to keep in mind, why break them up if they are working good together. he is always going to be a lower payroll player, adding grit to crosby's line and keeping up in the offensive part of the game with him are the things that really stand out about him for me

vcx*

jtuzzi said:
Kesler also looks quite a bit like a camel as well.

See an optometrist??

[IMAGE]http://www.canuckshq.com/bio/kesler.gif[/IMAGE]
Doesn't look like a camel.

[IMAGE]http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/09/07/20051215220009990008[/IMAGE]
New Spokesperson for Camel cig's...

vcx*

dannoabram said:
the chemistry him and crosby share is also something to keep in mind, why break them up if they are working good together. he is always going to be a lower payroll player, adding grit to crosby's line and keeping up in the offensive part of the game with him are the things that really stand out about him for me

If Colby added 10-15lbs more muscle (20 would be ideal) this summer, he would be a force out there. He's still not totally filled out and when he does get filled out and gets stronger he will be a pretty nasty guy to have out there.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Rattray said:
Ryan Malone will play with Crosby. He's a much better winger.

Neither one of those are true (right now anyways).

Ryan Smyth would probably be the ultimate ceiling for Armstrong. He's not a true top two line forward, but the thing is, he plays a similar game as Crosby as far as the willingness to go and get the puck on the boards, and his offensive skills are good enough that he can play right with and help Crosby. Seeing as how they are friends, have good chemistry, and Armstrong takes care of a lot of dirty stuff and won't let Crosby take any crap from players, I don't envision the duo changing for a while, especially when you look at who else we have on wing.

If you are asking for a fantasy league or something, I think he is a nice player to have because it is a lock that he will put up points by Crosby, and he will be on Crosby's right side next year.

The best thing about him is that he plays a strong defensive game as well, one of the top players there on the entire team. He finished with a very respectable +15 on a bad defensive team, and while he didn't start the year with the Pens, he played in over half of the games. Plus/minus isn't the best stat for comparing defensive play, but Armstrong is a very good defensive player. He brings a very complete game to that line which is why I don't see any reason it will change.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think Smyth is a great comparison. It's just so large of expectations because Smyth is an established NHL player.

vcx*

MrKnowNothing said:
Neither one of those are true (right now anyways).

Ryan Smyth would probably be the ultimate ceiling for Armstrong. He's not a true top two line forward, but the thing is, he plays a similar game as Crosby as far as the willingness to go and get the puck on the boards, and his offensive skills are good enough that he can play right with and help Crosby. Seeing as how they are friends, have good chemistry, and Armstrong takes care of a lot of dirty stuff and won't let Crosby take any crap from players, I don't envision the duo changing for a while, especially when you look at who else we have on wing.

If you are asking for a fantasy league or something, I think he is a nice player to have because it is a lock that he will put up points by Crosby, and he will be on Crosby's right side next year.

The best thing about him is that he plays a strong defensive game as well, one of the top players there on the entire team. He finished with a very respectable +15 on a bad defensive team, and while he didn't start the year with the Pens, he played in over half of the games. Plus/minus isn't the best stat for comparing defensive play, but Armstrong is a very good defensive player. He brings a very complete game to that line which is why I don't see any reason it will change.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think Smyth is a great comparison. It's just so large of expectations because Smyth is an established NHL player.

I wouldn't really compare Armstrong to Smyth, i see Colby as being a little more grittier. But that is a good comparison i guess, from what i have seen of Colby in the NHL its pretty close. I was a fan of his during his junior days so i do know what he is capable. I just hope he adds 15-20 lbs of muscle to his frame, thats when people will really see what he can do out there when he wants to get physical.

Habs33

Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
hotwheels said:
I wouldn't really compare Armstrong to Smyth, i see Colby as being a little more grittier. But that is a good comparison i guess, from what i have seen of Colby in the NHL its pretty close. I was a fan of his during his junior days so i do know what he is capable. I just hope he adds 15-20 lbs of muscle to his frame, thats when people will really see what he can do out there when he wants to get physical.

Thanks, Ok so I see that he is a good gritty 2-way forward. Will he ever be considered as a power-forward then? Like Dustin Penner for the ducks?

The fact that he wil probbaly play with Crosby is why i am asking b/c anyone playing with crosby will have a good fantasy value. (even a pilon)

I'm afraid therrien will put Mike Oullette as crsobys rw instead, or did he see enough of armstrong-crosby chemistry to keep them together?

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I don't think he will be a power forward. He isn't going to get that big. I'm pretty sure he has a medical condition that prevents him from adding a lot of weight quickly, unless I am mistaking him for a different prospect of ours.

He should be Crosby's RW next year. At the very least he should definitely start there, because he was/is the second best forward (probably player) on the team. I know Therrien seems to like Ouellet, but I don't think he is good enough to play on a top line at even strength. Colby is better than him in every facet of the game except shooting, maybe.

Ouellet will probably get points assisted by Crosby, but they will be on the PP mostly.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
hotwheels said:
See an optometrist??

[IMAGE]http://www.canuckshq.com/bio/kesler.gif[/IMAGE]
Doesn't look like a camel.

[IMAGE]http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/09/07/20051215220009990008[/IMAGE]
New Spokesperson for Camel cig's...
side view of Kesler = camel.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
hotwheels said:
If Colby added 10-15lbs more muscle (20 would be ideal) this summer, he would be a force out there. He's still not totally filled out and when he does get filled out and gets stronger he will be a pretty nasty guy to have out there.

The 10-15lbs thing has been kicked around since before he was drafted, if it isn't there by now, its just not going to come. He just naturally can't take on much weight. It doesn't stop him from playing a hard nosed game, so I don't think its an issue.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Some people just can't keep weight on, especially when you're putting yourself through as much physical activity.

Reason #893758375 why I couldn't be a hockey player. Not only is my frame ridiculously small, I can't keep meat on it. I haven't hit the 150 mark since I was 15.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Tjardus Greidanus said:
Some people just can't keep weight on, especially when you're putting yourself through as much physical activity.

Reason #893758375 why I couldn't be a hockey player. Not only is my frame ridiculously small, I can't keep meat on it. I haven't hit the 150 mark since I was 15.
Whoa, I (sort of) know what you mean. I'm only 5'7" and I never used to have a problem keeping weight on, in fact I could gain too much weight. I got up to 190lbs after Christmas a couple of years back which was way too heavy though it helped me when I was playing football but I have since lost over 50 lbs and can't seem to bulk up. I'm hovering between 137 and 140lbs and I'd like to get up to 160 but I can't seem to add any weight (in a healthy way). I don't play pro hockey so it's not like I'm as physically active as Colby Armstrong either so I could imagine how hard it could be for him to gain weight.
Right now I'm built like a lightweight boxer, hard to imagine I used to play offensive line in high school. I don't know what triggered this. I went on a diet but lost maybe 10-15lbs more than I wanted too and now it seems I'm incapable of gaining any bulk. I haven't been sick either, in fact I feel great. :dunno:

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
I think he has a bright future, he and Crosby and big friends off the ice and have that magic out there on the ice.

I can see him getting 25 goals, 40 assists next year.

Roy_Hobbs

Oct 30, 2005
Habs33 said:
Not sure if still considered prospect, but i understand he will be paired with Crosby next year.

In any case, what is this kid's potential? is he a sniper or playmaker. what kind of numbers will he put up?

30-40-70

He's Esa Tikkanen.

Pens75

Pens Fan Since 1975
Jul 30, 2005
Duquesne Gardens
Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->