Injury Report: Colborne out "a few weeks" with broken thumb

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
What a guy; didn't want another player waived so he took one for the team and broke a thumb. Way to be a team player Colborne.
8DtcS.gif

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That sucks.

So who makes the roster, Raymond of Granlund? I hope Granlund.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I hope Granlund as well. He's been much better and deserves it more.
He does, however there are advantages to Raymond as well.

If Granlund starts in the AHL and we waive Raymond during the season there will be a better chance of him getting claimed. Or he could rebound and be a legit middle 6 winger for us.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I believe Granlund has earned a full time spot on this roster, while Raymond hasn't. There is just so many options currently available that Granny might just have to start in the AHL, which is unfortunate.

He looks really comfortable out there in my opinion, and in the right situation, can and will produce at the NHL level.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Granlund - Jooris (have Jooris take the majority of draws)
Bouma - Stajan - Jones
Byron, Bollig

Those would be my lines to start the year with Raymond being waived.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I believe Granlund has earned a full time spot on this roster, while Raymond hasn't. There is just so many options currently available that Granny might just have to start in the AHL, which is unfortunate.

He looks really comfortable out there in my opinion, and in the right situation, can and will produce at the NHL level.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Granlund - Jooris (have Jooris take the majority of draws)
Bouma - Stajan - Jones
Byron, Bollig

Those would be my lines to start the year with Raymond being waived.

I think Bennett should be playing that 3C role instead of Granlund and Bouma on the 4th line doesn't make a lot of sense?

I personally like these lines better:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler : It worked really well. No reason to change it.
Bouma-Backlund-Frolik : Possession crazy, defensively responsible line with some grit on the LW.
Ferland-Bennett-Jones : Lots of size, grit, and jam. Would be a real pain to play against!
Bollig/Byron-Stajan-Jorris : Even though it's a 4th line, you could play this to shut down top6 lines.

Either way, lots of depth and options!

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Bouma shouldn't be anywhere near the top 2 lines in my opinion. He doesn't have the offensive talent to play in that role.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Bouma shouldn't be anywhere near the top 2 lines in my opinion. He doesn't have the offensive talent to play in that role.

Meh, the thing with our roster, on any given night lines 2-4 can take over the "2nd line" title.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Last season I can agree. This season? I'm not so sure.

Why? Maybe not the 4th, but even then, Stajan and Jones are very capable of providing offense. And our 2/3 will most likely be a different combo of Backlund/Bennett/Ferland/Jooris/Frolik/Bouma/Jones/Colborne on any given night, not a whole lotta clear separation there.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I think Backlund and Frolik are the go to 2nd line now and whoever joins them on the Left Wing. If we didn't add Frolik I would agree that lines 2-4 would be up in the air. We have 2/3 of a 2nd line which is better than what was being rolled last year.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I think Backlund and Frolik are the go to 2nd line now and whoever joins them on the Left Wing. If we didn't add Frolik I would agree that lines 2-4 would be up in the air. We have 2/3 of a 2nd line which is better than what was being rolled last year.

Or they can be tasked with being the shutdown 3rd line, which, IMO seems just as, if not more likely considering the lack of separation in their offense in comparison to others.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Or they can be tasked with being the shutdown 3rd line, which, IMO seems just as, if not more likely considering the lack of separation in their offense in comparison to others.

Other than the top line, Backlund and Frolik are both good offensively compared to the other bottom 2 lines. Besides Bennett and Colborne, I see know one as offensively capable as Backlund and Frolik. Colborne is a wild card. He is either a hit or miss.

Ferland, Granlund, Jooris ,Bouma,Stajan,Jones, Byron,Bollig or Raymond.

Tell me out of these guys who would be on the "2nd line" if Backlund and Frolik were the designated 3rd line? Don't get me wrong, I love these guys, but it's a bit ridiculous to think Backlund and Frolik wouldn't be the 2nd line. They can shut down and still score.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Other than the top line, Backlund and Frolik are both good offensively compared to the other bottom 2 lines. Besides Bennett and Colborne, I see know one as offensively capable as Backlund and Frolik. Colborne is a wild card. He is either a hit or miss.

Ferland, Granlund, Jooris ,Bouma,Stajan,Jones, Byron,Bollig or Raymond.

Tell me out of these guys who would be on the "2nd line" if Backlund and Frolik were the designated 3rd line? Don't get me wrong, I love these guys, but it's a bit ridiculous to think Backlund and Frolik wouldn't be the 2nd line. They can shut down and still score.

Jones was on pace for 36 pts last year. A whopping 6 points less than what Frolik had and what Backlund was on pace for. Josh Jooris was also on pace for mid 30s, in his rookie season to boot. There really isn't that much seperation in their offense. And you decided to say "besides Colborne and Bennett", which is redicilous because both have potential to out produce Fro and Backs (FroBack, I like it :yo:)

I never said they were going to be 3rd liners all year. I said it's going to be very much like last year, whoevers producing/making things happen will grab the 2nd line duties for the night, and it's ENTIRELY possible considering FroBack will be drawing the heavy lines because of their defensive prowess, leaving the other line semi sheltered and giving them opportunies against weaker lines.

You are getting too carried away with the whole "2nd line" title my friend. If anything, we have two fringe 2nd lines/good 3rds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad