Confirmed with Link: Colaiacovo to be bought out

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
Now, I'm not saying Smith is and will always be garbage...but, from what we saw in the playoffs from him, Kindl and DeKeyser, I'd be totally fine with him being a major piece in a trade for a impact player like Edler or Bobby Ryan. Smith was TERRIBLE.

I've always thought Smith had a questionable character (M.I.P., assault charge, giving underage Sheahan his I.D.), but it's not like he's shown a ton of talent at the pro level either. I think now is the time to trade him before he potentially becomes a bust. Or he could flourish, but at least we have a lot of good young d-men to replace him and we'll have a proven player to show for it.

DeKeyser really made him expendable IMO.

DeKeyser and Smith are so totally different types of players though. This is why DeKeyser´s arrival don´t really affect Smith´s future all that much. At least it should not in my humble opinion.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
DeKeyser and Smith are so totally different types of players though. This is why DeKeyser´s arrival don´t really affect Smith´s future all that much. At least it should not in my humble opinion.

DD is going to be "the man" in a couple years...at least from what I can see. After that I see Kronwall, E, and maybe even Kindl being interchangeable from 2-4. If Smith really steps up (and is still around) then he could be in the mix too. If not he will continue to toil as a 5-6 guy unless he doesn't live up to the contract he gets and the Wings let him walk. But in the next 2 years I think Detroit's Dmen will be a very strong lineup from top to bottom.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Mother****er why is kenny so ******* dumb. Why the **** would you waste a compliance buyout on 2.5 ****ing million.

Why would you waste a compliance buyout on Sammy at 3 million, for that matter?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I also doubt it, but he is the only option to consider that move at next summer. It does big things, if Franzen becomes a real problem at next season. Other contracts look pretty fine.

I think the reason it's brought up has a lot to do with not having one contract of the sort, but two. Zetterberg is just too good, too likable and that leaves us with discussing Franzen's deal.

But just as one contract, it's totally understandable why they aren't considering it:
- His production hasn't declined.
- No major injury issues.
- Our only sizable skill player on the team.
- Great cap hit relative to anything on the market with a cap ceiling expected to rise.

But those things can chance in a hurry.

crashman

Maybe not, but Kindl stepping up his game and becoming a fixture might. Plus, Sproul and Ouellet aren't too far off.

I know people love to hate on Quincey, but he's got some tools that go unappreciated and he's really not a bad player. I really think most of the hate for him comes from Holland giving up a 1st round pick after losing him to waivers.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Maybe not, but Kindl stepping up his game and becoming a fixture might. Plus, Sproul and Ouellet aren't too far off.

I know people love to hate on Quincey, but he's got some tools that go unappreciated and he's really not a bad player. I really think most of the hate for him comes from Holland giving up a 1st round pick after losing him to waivers.

even Kindl doesn't have the kind of elite offensive potential that Smith has

it would be foolish to get rid of Smith right now,the Wings desperately need a guy like that and Smith is the only guy in the system other than Sproul with that kind of potential

and Sproul is a lot farther off than you think he is,i'll be shocked if he doesn't spend at least a couple seasons in the AHL if not more

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

I've accepted Q for what he is, but he will have to take a pay cut to stay after this season. Can't have Q and E both in the neighborhood of $4M in 14/15 with young guys knocking on the door. DeKeyser and Smith are coming at affordable cap hits for another 3-4 years most likely.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I've accepted Q for what he is, but he will have to take a pay cut to stay after this season. Can't have Q and E both in the neighborhood of $4M in 14/15 with young guys knocking on the door. DeKeyser and Smith are coming at affordable cap hits for another 3-4 years most likely.

If XO looks good in the A this season, I'd assume let Q walk and let him take over.

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
DD is going to be "the man" in a couple years...at least from what I can see. After that I see Kronwall, E, and maybe even Kindl being interchangeable from 2-4. If Smith really steps up (and is still around) then he could be in the mix too. If not he will continue to toil as a 5-6 guy unless he doesn't live up to the contract he gets and the Wings let him walk. But in the next 2 years I think Detroit's Dmen will be a very strong lineup from top to bottom.

I love DD´s game, very sound defensively, but he does not have the offensive ceiling of Smith as far as I am concerned. They are just different players, and trading away Smith with his offensive potential after a "disappointing" season makes no sense at all. He will come around.
DD + Smith = very bright future

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
their is a reason why brendan smith was and is still considered our top prospect/young payer by every knowledgable hockey mind in the business for the last 5 years and thats because they know more then everyone on this board

DD is good and may be good for us for a long time but his ceiling is maybe at Smiths ankles

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If XO looks good in the A this season, I'd assume let Q walk and let him take over.

If Smith or Dekeyser improve on last season we can let Q walk. The guy could easily be rendered our #5 by years end just by being passed by guys already on the roster. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that Kindl could pass him, too. Unless we make a series of deals that seriously depletes our blueline depth in Detroit and GR, I just don't see a reason to entertain bringing Q back at all.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Fwiw, (and it might not be much because I'm too drunk to go find links) but:

Afaicr Jimmy D made it clear they don't intend to buy out Franzen, not now, not ever. The belief is that once his actual salary drops to match his cap hit (2016, again don't trust the drunk girl, look it up yourself) he will be a very trade-able asset.

Now we may well be saving the buyout in case he falls apart this season; but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Afaik, Red Wings management considers Franzens contract a burden that will eventually turn into a valuable asset.

Edit: also, I would bet money that White, Carlo and Sammy are completely untradeable for any asset. I think you're living in a fantasy world if you think Holland didn't try. Nobody wants our trash for draft picks. Not shocking.
As an aside, I think it would be funny to have a "drunk hockey talk" thread. Maybe a sticky?

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
their is a reason why brendan smith was and is still considered our top prospect/young payer by every knowledgable hockey mind in the business for the last 5 years and thats because they know more then everyone on this board

DD is good and may be good for us for a long time but his ceiling is maybe at Smiths ankles

DD's offensive ceiling might be lower than Smith's, but DD is already better at playing defense. And I'd even counter the offensive part with DD getting powerplay time almost right away. Smith can score and maybe join the rush more, I agree. Smith has a long way to go, but right now if I had to put someone on the ice, in any situation I'm taking DD over Smith.

Also, the "they know more than everyone" argument does not even come close to making a point for you, nor does it express your hockey knowledge. Whether or not that's true (they're human, they make mistakes too), why do you even have an account? What's the point of discussion if they're all smarter? You might as well just show up at game time. Heck, dont even watch the game, just look at the box scores, because performances don't matter; the staff knew what they were doing. sounds fun huh?

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013

Quincey better not be on this team next year. Trade him at the deadline for a pick to a team that needs help.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
DD's offensive ceiling might be lower than Smith's, but DD is already better at playing defense. And I'd even counter the offensive part with DD getting powerplay time almost right away. Smith can score and maybe join the rush more, I agree. Smith has a long way to go, but right now if I had to put someone on the ice, in any situation I'm taking DD over Smith.

Also, the "they know more than everyone" argument does not even come close to making a point for you, nor does it express your hockey knowledge. Whether or not that's true (they're human, they make mistakes too), why do you even have an account? What's the point of discussion if they're all smarter? You might as well just show up at game time. Heck, dont even watch the game, just look at the box scores, because performances don't matter; the staff knew what they were doing. sounds fun huh?

I dont know the ins and outs of every single prospect/player in the world thats why you rely on professionals who make a living knowing this sort of stuff

when it comes down to two amateur opinions, always follow the guy who sticks closest to the experts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad