Colaiacovo or Daley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

I don't want to turn the other thread into a Colaiacovo/Daley thread more then it is... so I just wanted to see... WHO WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE?

Carlo Colaiacovo or Trevor Daley?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
go pierre hedin said:
I don't want to turn the other thread into a Colaiacovo/Daley thread more then it is... so I just wanted to see... WHO WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE?

Carlo Colaiacovo or Trevor Daley?

Although it's too early to tell what kind of career (and how long) Daley is going to have in the NHL, I haven't been all that impressed. IMO he's not as fast as advertised, and has a glaring lack of hockey sense at the NHL level. The same criticisms that are levied at a guy like David Tanabe can be thrown at Daley as well. He can possibly be a 4th D-man, 2nd PP guy, but no more. I haven't seen enough of Colaiacovo to say whether I'd prefer him or not, so I'll wait to develop an opinion on him.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Rabid Ranger said:
Although it's too early to tell what kind of career (and how long) Daley is going to have in the NHL, I haven't been all that impressed. IMO he's not as fast as advertised, and has a glaring lack of hockey sense at the NHL level. The same criticisms that are levied at a guy like David Tanabe can be thrown at Daley as well. He can possibly be a 4th D-man, 2nd PP guy, but no more. I haven't seen enough of Colaiacovo to say whether I'd prefer him or not, so I'll wait to develop an opinion on him.
`
How could a 19/20 year old rookie impress you on a team where absolutely no one impresses? Daley will be a top 4 defenseman, likely a more physical version of Brian Rafalski. He is seen as our most untouchable prospect..

SensGod

Feb 27, 2002
Scotia Bank Place
Visit site
I'd take either one of them.

I'd lean towards Daley right now because he's managed to crack a relatively strong Dallas defensive core already for a few games. Where Cola hasn't been able to crack a much weaker defensive core.

leafaholix*

SensGod said:

I'd lean towards Daley right now because he's managed to crack a relatively strong Dallas defensive core already for a few games. Where Cola hasn't been able to crack a much weaker defensive core.
Carlo Colaiacovo cracked a much stronger blue line in 2002/03.

He sustained an injury that kept him out of most the exhibition games this past September.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
go pierre hedin said:
Carlo Colaiacovo cracked a much stronger blue line in 2002/03.

2 games... and the defense he had to crack wasn't anything better then what Daley had to face.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Modano = God said:
`
How could a 19/20 year old rookie impress you on a team where absolutely no one impresses? Daley will be a top 4 defenseman, likely a more physical version of Brian Rafalski. He is seen as our most untouchable prospect..

Individuals stand out in team sports all the time. All I'm saying is I haven't been that impressed by Daley. That doesn't mean you're not impressed, or that he won't have a fine career. I've seen enough Stars games this season, with Daley in the lineup to formulate an opinion him. It's not exactly a glowing opinion right now, but that could change. As for the Rafalski comparison, I just don't see it. Rafalski has tremendous hockey sense that I just don't think Daley has. Daley is a better skater, and is more physical, but that doesn't mean he'll be a better defenseman.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
SensGod said:

People tend use to this argument all the time, without taking into considerations all the factors. It is not as simple as player A being better than player B and therefore making the team.

It is very hard for a youngster to make the Toronto Maple Leafs because the Leafs have a lot of expensive older players (i.e. who cannot be sent back down to the farm) and Pat Quinn has a strong loyalty to certain players.

Case in point - Mikeal Tellqvist deserves to be the backup behind Eddie Belfour - clearly but he's in the AHL because the Leafs are stuck with Trevor Kidd.

Personally, I am not a HUGE fan of Trevor Daley, so I would easily take Cola. However, Daley is much better than being compared to Ian White as he was in another thread.

Hitman*

I'd take Colaiacovo.

Their offensive potential aren't significantly different (although Daley gets the edge), but Carlo has more size and has equal, if not better, skating ability.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Hitman said:
and has equal, if not better, skating ability.

No.. not by a long shot.. Daley is one of the most fluid and fastest skating defensemen since Scott Niedermayer. During his draft year, scouts were of the opinion that Daley was by far, the best skating defensemen in the draft. One even said that his skating was Paul Coffey like..

Daley is 5'11 but over 200 pounds. He's very physical and I don't see size being a problem at all. With more seasoning, he should round out into a nice two way defenseman. However there's no doubt Carlo, right now, is better defensively. I see Daley's potential of that of Brian Rafalski, while Carlo reminds me of a Janne Niinimaa.

Last edited:

leafaholix*

Carlo Colaiacovo reminds you of Janne Niinimaa?

You haven't even seen him play!

----

Oh, and Trevor Daley was 5'9 at last years WJC camp, both HF.com and the Utah Grizzlies website have him listed at 5'10, 200 pounds... not 5'11, though it doesn't make much of a difference.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
go pierre hedin said:
Carlo Colaiacovo reminds you of Janne Niinimaa?

You haven't even seen him play!

----

Oh, and Trevor Daley was 5'9 at last years WJC camp, both HF.com and the Utah Grizzlies website have him listed at 5'10, 200 pounds... not 5'11, though it doesn't make much of a difference.

Niinimaa is a big defenseman (6'1/6'2 - 220) that plays defense first. He has a very sound mobility and has very decent footspeed. He has shown to be an offensive threat as well, having averaged between 30 and 45 points for most his career. Namely since he plays the point very well, he's a great PP QB. He's also physical and leads by example.. This is how I see Carlo's potential. Whether you like that or not.

leafaholix*

That's great... but if you actually see them both play, they don't have much in common.

Colaiacovo is a physical defenseman, while with St. John's (AHL), Colaiacovo hit everything in sight. He's solid defensively, and has a great offensive game as well. When he focuses on a player in his end, it's hard to get away from him. Great skater, speed, hands, and has a wicked shot.

When it comes to style, Colaiacovo plays a Brian Leetch type game... a little mix of Ed Jovanovski's nastyness and physical play.

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
That's great... but if you actually see them both play, they don't have much in common.

Colaiacovo is a physical defenseman, while with St. John's (AHL), Colaiacovo hit everything in sight. He's solid defensively, and has a great offensive game as well. When he focuses on a player in his end, it's hard to get away from him. Great skater, speed, hands, and has a wicked shot.

When it comes to style, Colaiacovo plays a Brian Leetch type game... a little mix of Ed Jovanovski's nastyness and physical play.

I think comparing Carlo to Leetch is a little much IMO. Basically because I think Carlo plays a whole lot better defense than Leetch, but is not as potent in the offensive end. However, just wondering if anyone sees Carlo as a Norris winner down the line?

leafaholix*

Bandwagoner said:
I think comparing Carlo to Leetch is a little much IMO. Basically because I think Carlo plays a whole lot better defense than Leetch, but is not as potent in the offensive end. However, just wondering if anyone sees Carlo as a Norris winner down the line?
I said "style"... I even put it in bold for you.

His defensive game is much better then Leetch though, you're right about that.

And I think it's too early to predict a Norris Trophy for him, way too early... but if he turns out to be the player Leafs management hope, I don't see why he shouldn't contend for a Norris down the line. That goes for a lot of other top prospects.

Note: Colaiacovo's AHL coach, Doug Shedden was on a Toronto radio show a couple days ago and said that he thought Carlo has the potential to become a top 10 defenseman in the NHL.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
go pierre hedin said:
I said "style"... I even put it in bold for you.

His defensive game is much better then Leetch though, you're right about that.

And I think it's too early to predict a Norris Trophy for him, way too early... but if he turns out to be the player Leafs management hope, I don't see why he shouldn't contend for a Norris down the line. That goes for a lot of other top prospects.

Note: Colaiacovo's AHL coach, Doug Shedden was on a Toronto radio show a couple days ago and said that he thought Carlo has the potential to become a top 10 defenseman in the NHL.

He's played a few games in the NHL and already his defensive game is better than Brian Leetch's? Wow.

leafaholix*

His defensive potential is much better then Leetch's ever was.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Colaicovo. I see Daley becoming a solid 3rd/4th d-man, someone with good speed, good shot, and some physical play. I see Colaicovo as becoming a solid #1/2 guy. He reminds me of Wade Redden.

Fantasywonder

Sep 30, 2003
Boston, MA, USA
Visit site
both are studs, colacovo being more of a twoway player, daley more of a puck rusher. both have completely different styles, cola has proven to be more effective so far in his career, defensive wise, while daley is way more flashy and the higher skilled one. the comparisons i've seen here are pretty much on the money. a bigger redden vs a physical rafalski. good matchup.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
stardog said:
He's played a few games in the NHL and already his defensive game is better than Brian Leetch's? Wow.

I thought the same thing. I realize that Leetch isn't the greatest in his own end, but he is far from horrible, and at times can be downright dominate. To say a prospect, highly touted or not, is already better is a sad joke, and really shows how some homers on this board really overrate their team's players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->