Confirmed Trade: [COL/NYR] Chris Bigras for Ryan Graves

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
For the Ranger fans here, if Bigras keeps playing scared which unfortunately has happened since his last concussion there is zero chance of him being an NHL player.

Is Graves somewhat like Griffin Reinhart ?
Graves was a 4th round draft pick at 110th overall, Reinhart was drafted 4th overall. They might be both bad hockey players, but one was a project while the other one was a completely awful selection by Snow. Not comparable for me.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sounds alot like Gelinas.

Unlike some Avs fans I haven't thought of Bigras as a potential top 4 guy for a long time, might carve out a career as a bottom pairing guy.

I don’t see how Bigras can ever get comfortable enough at the NHL to play regularly without becoming a middle pairing D given his skating & intelligence. He either has his confidence rebuilt and makes it, or he stays all jitterbug and can’t ever play in the NHL in any capacity.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Interesting to look back on this thread, as no one expected much out of Graves

Currently sits at 5G,7A through 30 games and randomly leads the league with the ever-valued +23. He's worked his way into Colorado's top 6 and can't seem to stop scoring

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Interesting to look back on this thread, as no one expected much out of Graves

Currently sits at 5G,7A through 30 games and randomly leads the league with the ever-valued +23. He's worked his way into Colorado's top 6 and can't seem to stop scoring

Good for Graves. I was surprised that he didn't get more of a chance with the Rangers, but glad that he is doing well.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Really happy Graves is carving out a spot with the Avs. There was always a lot to like about his game but he definitely started stagnating as a Ranger and the change of scenery was needed. The Rangers needed more puck movers in the system at the time as well.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Graves is riding a hot streak on a very good team imo. He's still an organizational depth and journeyman kind of defenseman to me. He's looked really bad for stretches too. He's kind of like Nick Holden again for the Avs.

If Colorado was smart, I think they'd sell high on him and maybe try to throw him into a trade for Taylor Hall (NJD needs top4 LHD, maybe Uncle Joe can sucker Rejean with Graves and not give up as much other value)

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Graves is riding a hot streak on a very good team imo. He's still an organizational depth and journeyman kind of defenseman to me. He's looked really bad for stretches too. He's kind of like Nick Holden again for the Avs.

If Colorado was smart, I think they'd sell high on him and maybe try to throw him into a trade for Taylor Hall (NJD needs top4 LHD, maybe Uncle Joe can sucker Rejean with Graves and not give up as much other value)

maybe, but Avs can’t really afford to lose any roster defensemen this season. Our own zone could be our Achilles heel.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

I doubt it. But maybe Seattle takes him in the expansion draft and we get to protect Zadorov.

Reactions: AvsGuy

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

When Graves is used properly as a 3rd pairing defensemen with 14-16 minutes worth of ice time, he's fine in his role. Skates well and is physical enough for my liking given his size.

Much like Nick Holden, he runs into problems when he either tries to over extend himself, or the coaching staff plays him too much.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Sometimes you have to give a kid a chance even if it means letting him go to another team because it's the right thing to do.

Reactions: klingsor

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I find him a little squirrelly on zone breakouts and coverage sometimes, but overall he fits into the Avs sytem really well, and he's a great hitter. No idea how he keeps popping in goals every few games lately.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Seeing confirmed Avs trade made my heart skip a beat.

Anyway. Graves has been a pleasant surprise. How has Bigras been? When he was drafted, I was 100% sure he’d be a middle pairing defenseman.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Can anyone give a description of Graves’ game? Haven’t seen him play much.

Big, good skater, good shots, good pinches, blocks shots well. Will be physical. I think he has better offensive iq than defensive, so he gets on some Avs fans nerves for not being the stereotypical defensive dman who can shelter Makar.

He seems like a hard worker (trains with Mack and Crosby) who is coachable (game has changed over his career).

Reactions: travis scott

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Seeing confirmed Avs trade made my heart skip a beat.

Anyway. Graves has been a pleasant surprise. How has Bigras been? When he was drafted, I was 100% sure he’d be a middle pairing defenseman.

I think Bigras plays for the Flyer's AHL affiliate now, doesn't seem like he will pan out

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I knew Graves would find a role in the NHL. Rangers didn't like him because of his style of play. Doesn't skate fast enough. If there's one common theme with the defensemen Gorton adds to the organization, they all can carry the puck into the zone. Graves isn't a bad skater, but thats not his game.

Reactions: bl02

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
He's learned a thing or two from Zadorov. He can absolutely crush someone, but can also take boneheaded penalties.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He's not some amazing player. High event defenseman whose risk taking is ending up on the plus column for now.

This is not Nuke who actually plays rejuvenated and drives the play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad