USA
Cbj:
Atkinson
Hartnell @4m

Col:
2017 2nd
2017 3rd/2018 2nd
Mitchell

This is a cap clearing move for CBJ where they clear almost 8m off the books while still getting a decent return and Avs get 2 wingers.

What are your thoughts? Are 2 2nds too much from the Avs?

Also with the buyout of Tyutin if you don't feel the CBJ should move Atkinson to clear cap please simply state that you don't feel that it is a move they need to make . Please don't try and derail others conversation of the thread as this being a cap clearing move is the main driving point from CBJ's side.

Thanks you to all who reply.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
No interest or reason to move Atkinson.

I figured there would be a good deal of CBJ fans who wouldnt want to move Cam.

The trade is essentially 2 2nds + taking on Hartnells contract and Mitchell for him. Getting him would be the reason the Avs do it and thats not a bad return.

Its kind of the concept of teams asking for a player to take on a contract merged with a normal trade for him. A lot of this depends on how badly CBJ wants to clear cap.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I don't think it's a terrible trade -- especially during the long run. Short term it really hurts though because that's 100+ points just evaporating and losing some veterans

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I figured there would be a good deal of CBJ fans who wouldnt want to move Cam.

The trade is essentially 2 2nds + taking on Hartnells contract and Mitchell for him. Getting him would be the reason the Avs do it and thats not a bad return.

Its kind of the concept of teams asking for a player to take on a contract merged with a normal trade for him. A lot of this depends on how badly CBJ wants to clear cap.

I don't think Columbus should be looking to package a higher value asset in order to move Hartnell.

In a vacuum, they'd be able to move Hartnell straight up for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. We aren't operating in a vacuum, though. CBJ could look at adding a 3rd or something to get a team to bite. Maybe retain a percent. Should not be looking to package him with a player like Atkinson or (I fear) Milano.

There are worse scenarios than being stuck with Hartnell.

member 116861

Good trade for the Aves but can we afford that much salary with MacKinnon and Barrie going to eat up a ton of cap space?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Maybe if we think we can get Stamkos? But we cant and thats not gonna happen. We're losing two of our top scorers for picks, its just not gonna happen.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Good trade for the Aves but can we afford that much salary with MacKinnon and Barrie going to eat up a ton of cap space?

The Avs will have roughly ~7m to sign 2 wingers and a depth dman. With Mitchell going back it should work out perfectly for them to fill all the roles and resign all of their RFA's

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The whole point of CBJ moving Hartnell is so CBJ don't have to lose a guy like Atkinson in the ED.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Avs can't afford to take that much salary this year.

It works out. If you are gracious and assume barrie and Mack get 6m each, Grigs and Picks eat up 4m then the Avs are still under the Cap after this deal with about 1m to sign a 7th D

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The whole point of CBJ moving Hartnell is so CBJ don't have to lose a guy like Atkinson in the ED.

Teams can ask any player to waive their NMC for the ED. I'd think this would be less of an issue than having the Cap to sign the insane amount of talented Prospects coming up through their pipeline.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm just going to go with "no", because my initial reaction had more profanity-masking asterisks than all other characters combined.

EDIT: To provide more clarity: that $8m is not helpful to us if acquired this way because we would be massively downgrading on any ONE of those two guys with anyone we tried to pick up with it.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It works out. If you are gracious and assume barrie and Mack get 6m each, Grigs and Picks eat up 4m then the Avs are still under the Cap after this deal with about 1m to sign a 7th D

We're going to need more than $1m for the defender we get.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Wouldn't move Atkinson alone for that package, and Hartnell does not have negative value like some would suggest. He may be on the move for cap purposes, or he may not be, but he's valued here in Columbus as a scorer and mentor.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Teams can ask any player to waive their NMC for the ED. I'd think this would be less of an issue than having the Cap to sign the insane amount of talented Prospects coming up through their pipeline.

And these players will say yes and happily uproot their families to move to Vegas because...?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
And these players will say yes and happily uproot their families to move to Vegas because...?

For one, Hartnell seems willing to be traded. So he seems willing to uproot at the moment.

Second, a guy like Clarkson knows he isn't going to get selected. So no point in not waiving it. There's 0% chance he gets picked and he's only hurting the team.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I don't think it's a terrible trade -- especially during the long run. Short term it really hurts though because that's 100+ points just evaporating and losing some veterans

I doubted this, so I googled it, and wow... both of these guys had good seasons, why is Columbus wanting to trade them? Particularly Atkinson?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I doubted this, so I googled it, and wow... both of these guys had good seasons, why is Columbus wanting to trade them? Particularly Atkinson?
In Hartnell's case, it's been worries about cap space and a desire to get something of value in the process; the Tyutin buyout has made this far less pressing. In Atkinson's case... we kinda don't. ;)

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
In Hartnell's case, it's been worries about cap space and a desire to get something of value in the process; the Tyutin buyout has made this far less pressing. In Atkinson's case... we kinda don't. ;)

...and he's 34. He's had pretty surprising longevity already. He could drop off at literally any second. We've got Iggy. We know

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
...and he's 34. He's had pretty surprising longevity already. He could drop off at literally any second. We've got Iggy. We know

That's a risk the team acquiring him would assume, yes. But that's why Columbus isn't asking for full value of a player with his current production.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That's a risk the team acquiring him would assume, yes. But that's why Columbus isn't asking for full value of a player with his current production.

But that's why he's out there. CBJ is wanting to shift that risk elsewhere, and it isn't hard to see why.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
But that's why he's out there. CBJ is wanting to shift that risk elsewhere, and it isn't hard to see why.

Right. He wouldn't be available if he weren't 34. Columbus says his value is high. Colorado says his value is low. They meet in the middle (hence why he's not a negative value, closer to a 0 value).

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Right. He wouldn't be available if he weren't 34. Columbus says his value is high. Colorado says his value is low. They meet in the middle (hence why he's not a negative value, closer to a 0 value).

I hope you'll have better luck elsewhere. Iginla just pulled that one over on us and we'll be happy when that $5.3 is off the books.

But I do admit that Hartnell would be exactly the type of guy Roy would love to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->