Coed or women's hockey in Edmonton?

epoxy

Aug 30, 2006
Hi I'm a beginner player just starting out... I'm wondering if there is a league that offers a division of the appropriate level and is either coed or women's only. Thanks.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
U of C used to have a "Beginner shinny program" that catered to those with almost zero skill/experience(I played in it for 8 years, yes I'm awful)

you might check with the U Of A campus rec and see if they offer any public programs of this nature.Worst case scenario....a wasted phone call.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
If you need any information about girls'/women's hockey in Alberta, please contact:

Hockey Alberta (HA)
Suite 1, 7875 48th Avenue
Red Deer, AB T4P 2K1

Phone (403) 342-6777
Fax (403) 346-4277

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Yeah, SAWHA is a good site. I wonder if there's a Non contact league in edmonton. There's one in Calgary that I played in over the summer. They had women's only and co-ed teams.

epoxy

Aug 30, 2006
Thanks for the tips everybody! Am contacting NAFHA (Northern Alberta Female Hockey Association) and ASHL (Adult Safe Hockey League). Anyone heard about these leagues?

Saint Teemu

Aug 16, 2005
Thanks for the tips everybody! Am contacting NAFHA (Northern Alberta Female Hockey Association) and ASHL (Adult Safe Hockey League). Anyone heard about these leagues?
I played ASHL here in Winnipeg. I guess it was ok - there were never any organizational problems (messing around with rinks or schedules) and everything was done in one multi-sheet arena. That said, the ice times SUCKED.

You can't blame the league for the actions of its players, but I found it ironic that in the non-contact Adult "Safe" Hockey League, I was leveled into the boards from behind and subsequently got into the only hockey fight of my career (at the age of 33, and I've played since I was 5).

Unless the league administrators are manifestly incompetent, it's all about the people you get to play with. If they're cool, you'll have a great time.

epoxy

Aug 30, 2006
What ASHL division did you play in? I would be in the lowest one obviously, is roughing a problem only in the higher divisions? Btw, this ASHL Edmonton branch just started this year... no previous history to go on.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
It depends.

I played in a lower level of a leauge and the roughing was terrible. Mainly because the ref wouldn't call anything.

If the ref calls the appropraite penalties it usually isnt a problem.

densetsu

Hi all. Capital City Rec Hockey League is accepting individual registrants for the upcoming Summer Season. Men's and Co-Ed. ccrhl.com and you can find our more info. Thanks

Dan

I think you mean http://www.ccrhl.ca, not .com.

And even though this thread is 4 years old, I may as well answer the original question. http://www.erhl.ca has a dedicated co-ed league. http://www.bophockey.com is a small league -- just 8 teams -- but is also co-ed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad