Player Discussion Cody Ceci | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
That's true, I'd forgotten about those passes, good call.

I'm taking exemple of that post, but don't take it personal, because i know you are neutral in your post who are generally very good btw.

Negative play will almost always outweight the positive. That's commun nature. I try normally to always see both the good and bad and then make a general idea.

Ceci wasn't bad yesterday, he was actually very good until... these sequence. Then what is talked about today? These play. That just show the overall blindness when something bad happen.

Now that being said, if the hat doesn't suit you( again not you personnaly ), don't wear it. But man i'm surround by people like IRL that and it pissed me off. There is always pro and cons when you evaluate things and relatet to hockey: player, game, sequence.

Ceci played well the 1st 2 period.. then drop the ball in the 3rd then was Okay/good again in OT.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ceci wasn't bad yesterday, he was actually very good until... these sequence. Then what is talked about today? These play. That just show the overall blindness when something bad happen.

Now that being said, if the hat doesn't suit you( again not you personnaly ), don't wear it. But man i'm surround by people like IRL that and it pissed me off. There is always pro and cons when you evaluate things and relatet to hockey: player, game, sequence.

Ceci played well the 1st 2 period.. then drop the ball in the 3rd then was Okay/good again in OT.

It's always going to be magnified given the short amount of time and the game situation.

Making a mistake in the 1st, people will generally forget about it unless it ends up as the GWG.

Two goals in the 3rd with a two-goal lead is a different story.

That's just the reality of the situation.

We had 5 PPs that we could have scored on, and any one of them could have been a GWG, but it's the one in OT that really stings.

Reactions: Newgates59

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
His role was #3 dman last year and will be again this year

Theorically he is the 3rd D of the team, but he is still asked to play against those top comp which he shouldn't because we have the Best Dman in EK on our roster who can play excellent defensively and excellent offensively at the same time.

While Ceci, who i like, cannot do. That's just the reality. It's not Knock on him. He is a good 2nd pairing guy. But you don't match him shift after shift against those guy. Shift here and there okay. But the whole game.. it is bound the fail rather to have a win/win situation.

Now it is Win/lose, in the sense that Ek get easier match and blow them.. While Ceci plays the underrated role of the guy with no chance of statistical success. I don't care about Statistic, but if you evaluate him, it doesn't look good.

on the other hand, we know that even if EK plays against top comp he will still be succesfully.

Give Ceci the top PK time, i don't care, but 5v5 EK against those guy.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I just hope Chabot can make it to the NHL soon so we can split up Ceci and Phaneuf.

Oduya-Karlsson
Chabot-Phaneuf
Claesson-Ceci

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Theorically he is the 3rd D of the team, but he is still asked to play against those top comp which he shouldn't because we have the Best Dman in EK on our roster who can play excellent defensively and excellent offensively at the same time.

While Ceci, who i like, cannot do. That's just the reality. It's not Knock on him. He is a good 2nd pairing guy. But you don't match him shift after shift against those guy. Shift here and there okay. But the whole game.. it is bound the fail rather to have a win/win situation.

Now it is Win/lose, in the sense that Ek get easier match and blow them.. While Ceci plays the underrated role of the guy with no chance of statistical success. I don't care about Statistic, but if you evaluate him, it doesn't look good.

on the other hand, we know that even if EK plays against top comp he will still be succesfully.

Give Ceci the top PK time, i don't care, but 5v5 EK against those guy.

I will defer to Guy BOucher as he has proven he knows what it takes to build a lineup.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I will defer to Guy BOucher as he has proven he knows what it takes to build a lineup.

I'm not saying otherwise, and if you track my message about Ceci, etc, i'm very supportive of him in a realistic way.

Boucher did say why he is doing so. He want to lesser Karlsson load and that's great, but i still feel, right or wrong that Karlsson can take that load and still be the most effective D offensively in the league.

Ceci, IMO, would be more effective playing against 2nd line player where i think he could add a little but more offence to his game, with lesser competition.

Anyway, Boucher's idea is made it's not going to change because I differ from him on that one. :laugh:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I thought Ceci was having a pretty good game last night up until the 15 minute mark of the 3rd period when everyone on the ice & on the team for that matter started to fall apart. I also thought Anderson was fairly weak on a couple of those goals & that was when they needed a big save out of him to keep their momentum & lead. But let's also not forget that they have an opportunity in overtime to win it on the PP & again it failed us as they did in the shootout.

IMO this season will all depend on Anderson on whether he can elevate his play from a slightly above average goaltender to a very good goaltender. Last yr he was beat quite consistently with wrap around(s) & making the odd bone head play or allowing goals against soon after Ottawa scores & we saw that again last night. Both goalies need to be better than they were last yr but Anderson specifically as the #1 goalie needs to have a career yr.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I'm taking exemple of that post, but don't take it personal, because i know you are neutral in your post who are generally very good btw.

Negative play will almost always outweight the positive. That's commun nature. I try normally to always see both the good and bad and then make a general idea.

I was at the game and this is my exact impression. I won't get into the argument about positivity vs negativity but yeah, Ceci, along with Oduya and Boro, were the strongest DMen in our zone for most of the game.... of course, Oduya got injured pretty early into the game and Ceci had a several-minute stretch where he couldn't do anything right.

That said, Ceci was asked to shoulder a huge load last night. He played like 4mins more ES than any of our other guys, and it seemed as though almost all of it was against the Caps top players.

Last season, Matthews made Karlsson look like a fool. Ceci's play was worse, of course, but I was actually quite happy with most of what I saw last night. Every DMan looked like they were slotted one position above where they ideally would be, but that's because they were.

Honestly, I was much more disappointed with the forwards than I was with the DMen. DMen struggled in tough situations, sure, but a lot of our forwards struggled in simple situations. I love Turris, but man was he frustrating last night. Brown, too, showed a lot of promise but man oh man, you can see the tentativeness as clear as day. The Ryan - Brass - Stone line was fantastic... Dzingel, while sometimes trying to do too much, showed nice hustle... Thompson impressed me with his physicality... but, other than that, I was far from thrilled with our forwards.

Also, watching how Boucher uses Burrows.... unless our PP starts clicking, I suspect the critics are going to be on Burrows' back reeeeeal soon.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
After karlsson and methot. I'm sure I read he hasn't the second most minutes per game after karlsson. I could be wrong.

You're not wrong, Ceci was 2nd in minutes per game in the regular season and the playoffs. Phaneuf played 10s less per game in the season but played more total minutes, that might be what the poster you're replying to was looking at.

Methot played about 3:30min/game less than Ceci and Phaneuf in the regular season and about 1:15min/game more in the playoffs.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I just hope Chabot can make it to the NHL soon so we can split up Ceci and Phaneuf.

Oduya-Karlsson
Chabot-Phaneuf
Claesson-Ceci

Wideman was our best D last night, followed by Oduya before he went down then Phaneuf. Boro, Claesson and finally Ceci (in that order) rounded them out. If Chabot is coming up I'm playing him on the right with Phaneuf on the left and Wideman as the 3rd pairing RD. Claesson/Ceci/Boro fight it out for the last spot. Of course this is all after EK is back.

We then have 3 RD who can move the puck, Ceci better start playing more like Phaneuf / Boro as he handles the puck like a hand grenade.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Wideman was our best D last night, followed by Oduya before he went down then Phaneuf. Boro, Claesson and finally Ceci (in that order) rounded them out. If Chabot is coming up I'm playing him on the right with Phaneuf on the left and Wideman as the 3rd pairing RD. Claesson/Ceci/Boro fight it out for the last spot. Of course this is all after EK is back.

We then have 3 RD who can move the puck, Ceci better start playing more like Phaneuf / Boro as he handles the puck like a hand grenade.

Terrible evaluation. Wideman was not good in his own end nor was Claesson. Ceci, Oduya and Borowiecki were the best guys on the blue line last night and Ceci was the only one playing regularly against the top lines the entire game.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Terrible evaluation. Wideman was not good in his own end nor was Claesson. Ceci, Oduya and Borowiecki were the best guys on the blue line last night and Ceci was the only one playing regularly against the top lines the entire game.

It's ok, you're allowed to be wrong, it happened to me once too. Wideman didn't spend time puck watching and getting burnt in his own zone, he moved the puck and cleared the zone. He was FAR better than Ceci in every facet of the game. You'll notice I ranked Claesson 5th of our D last night, just ahead of Ceci, at least he looked like he was in the game not watching it although he did have to try and cover up for Ceci on that one giveaway.

Again, Wideman, Oduya, Phaneuf, Boro, Claesson, Ceci was the ranking. Wideman spent more time in the ozone strictly cause he is able to move the puck, Ceci has Nate Thompson hands...

Reactions: Uchiha

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Wideman was our best dman last night. Ceci was terrible in his own zone but made some good pinches.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wideman was our best dman last night. Ceci was terrible in his own zone but made some good pinches.

Wideman was suspect defensively all night while getting butter soft deployment. He did however move the puck efficiently. The guy barely saw the ice at all when a top 6 line was out for Washington, about 2 mins total against top 6 lines. Hard to look too bad when 85% of your icetime is against bottom 6 guys.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
In the second ceci was what everyone hopes or thinks he is.

He was retrieving pucks. Quick outlet passes. Nice pinches. Actually thinking quickly with the puck in all zones. And then the third was simply a catastrophe.
At least there were flashes last night. A whole period of really good play. (I didn't see the first).

Reactions: Newgates59

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Boro played well through the two periods I saw. No doubt. Claessen didn't look bad. Except in OT.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Boro played well through the two periods I saw. No doubt. Claessen didn't look bad. Except in OT.
I thought Boro played best in period one, and period two. After Oduya got hurt he started getting deployed against top 6 lines and it showed.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I thought Boro played best in period one, and period two. After Oduya got hurt he started getting deployed against top 6 lines and it showed.
Yeah way out of his depth. But what can ya do with the injuries. He's not expected to play that role.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Unpopular opinion:

Ceci is well-above-average at every aspect of the game except for puckhandling, at which he is far-below-average. This makes it seem as though his potential is higher than it actually is to those who like him, while also making him seem worse than he actually is to people who don't like him.

Where else do other people think he truly struggles/is far below league average? Interested to see if people have a vastly different read than I do.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Unpopular opinion:

Ceci is well-above-average at every aspect of the game except for puckhandling, at which he is far-below-average. This makes it seem as though his potential is higher than it actually is to those who like him, while also making him seem worse than he actually is to people who don't like him.

Where else do other people think he truly struggles/is far below league average? Interested to see if people have a vastly different read than I do.
When you say ouckhandling. Do you mean everything involved with that. Like decision making with the puck. That's another. Timing with the puck. Another. He takes waaaaaay to long to make decisions. And when he makes the decision it's regularly wrong. At least from where I'm sitting. In my armchair. As GM of the team.

His board play is poor. He almost never comes off the boards with the puck. His pinching is also a little weak, I mean it gets a pass because he almost never takes the chance to pinch so it never really screws him over but doesn't necessarily help us stay in the zone either. Doesnt seem to trust his legs.

And above all, his play with his back to the forecheck is as bad as anyone I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->