Player Discussion Cody Ceci Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ceci was great at moving the puck tonight. Never got hemmed in our zone, never panicked. Played the body well. A+ for tonight.

Forwards were giving a ton of support all night, lots of credit all around for how good this team played.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
The only criticism I have for Ceci is that he gave up an icing mid-third when he should have been able to skate the puck out. He hesitated though when no one was open and allowed the forward to get close, causing him to flub and send it all the way up-ice.

That said, excellent game. Including holding a dangerous powerplay scoreless.

Ceci and Phaneuf were excellent. Phaneuf is going to be playing Crosby and Malkin tough. He is going to be HATED this series because he's going to be doing all the dirty ******** he can get away with.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Guy was outstanding tonight. I literally cant stand him but hes been getting better. For comparison Pittsburgh drafted 2 D in the FIRST ROUND the same year as Ceci. One guy just got beat on Ryans goal and was drafted a bit behind him, the other was drafted 8th and is in the minors.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The only criticism I have for Ceci is that he gave up an icing mid-third when he should have been able to skate the puck out.

this is the problem with Ceci on this board....

23 minutes played, mostly against Crosby or Malkin
60% corsi
25% zone starts
Not on the ice for a goal against
Sens win on the road to grab a series lead

but Ceci iced the puck in the mid third

My god....demote him to the bottom pair or better yet bring in somebody that doesn't ice the puck in a situation like that

sorry ICA. ..... I don't see you with constant criticism of Ceci but this is what the board is for him....trying to find some small play somewhere where he should have done something different

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

60% corsi
25% zone starts

My god....demote him to the bottom pair or better yet bring in somebody that doesn't ice the puck in a situation like that

sorry ICA. ..... I don't see you with constant criticism of Ceci but this is what the board is for him....trying to find some small play somewhere where he should have done something different
Did you miss the part where it said Ceci had an excellent game? Relax.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Did you miss the part where it said Ceci had an excellent game? Relax.

no I didn't miss it at all....

but I'm guessing you missed my point....

Ceci had an excellent game but the only criticism is....

the guy makes a fairly routine icing and it's pointed out here....that play was off the boards and down and most of the time it gets tipped by someone on the way down...

but that's the way it rolls for Ceci on this board and it's why there is 100 pages of discussion on him here

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006

60% corsi
25% zone starts

Hahaha. I know the feeling, I'm usually the guy defending him from unwarranted criticism.

I'll make it fair. Karlsson needs to watch Brassard flip the puck out and hit the goalie. He got pressured by 4th liners TWICE early on and held in the defensive zone by failing to do so and getting a line change. He is a fundamentally weak player and doesn't need to be chasing the puck around against a bunch of grinders.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It reminds me of Foligno a bit. When we had Kovalev on the team, you suddenly saw Foligno try and make those skill plays simply because he was around and practiced with Kovalev so much.....kinda see the same thing with Ceci. He's trying to "do a Karlsson" while skating the puck up the ice instead of making the simple play....and Ceci isn't at that level. That exposure certainly did wonders for Foligno, but it took a while to show up on the ice.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
The only criticism I have for Ceci is that he gave up an icing mid-third when he should have been able to skate the puck out. He hesitated though when no one was open and allowed the forward to get close, causing him to flub and send it all the way up-ice.

That said, excellent game. Including holding a dangerous powerplay scoreless.

Ceci and Phaneuf were excellent. Phaneuf is going to be playing Crosby and Malkin tough. He is going to be HATED this series because he's going to be doing all the dirty ******** he can get away with.

That clip of him shoving Crosby head first into the boards :yo: What I want to see from him. Borderline dirty and infuriating for Crosby plays. Also took him completely out of the play as a bonus.

Guy was outstanding tonight. I literally cant stand him but hes been getting better. For comparison Pittsburgh drafted 2 D in the FIRST ROUND the same year as Ceci. One guy just got beat on Ryans goal and was drafted a bit behind him, the other was drafted 8th and is in the minors.

So many great D in that draft (Murray, Reilly, Lindholm, Trouba, Dumba and I think Koekkoek and Pouliot will also round into form. People are down on Ceci a lot but most of those guys haven't really hit their stride yet, except maybe Trouba and Dumba. But they're all expected to start rounding into form in the next year or two I think.

no I didn't miss it at all....

but I'm guessing you missed my point....

Ceci had an excellent game but the only criticism is....

the guy makes a fairly routine icing and it's pointed out here....that play was off the boards and down and most of the time it gets tipped by someone on the way down...

but that's the way it rolls for Ceci on this board and it's why there is 100 pages of discussion on him here

I like when people can give both compliments and criticize where they'd like to see an improvement. A play like that icing is one that Pittsburgh can realyl take advantage of since they're having trouble getting into our zone. It's a freebie. I think EK iced the puck a couple times too without much pressure and he got lucky that they weren't towards the end of a full line change being needed. However it's unnecessary if someone calls him garbage/pylon/bust. He's likely to really grow into his shut down role in my opinion and just solidify himself as a #3-4 on this team over the next couple years.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

60% corsi
25% zone starts

That isn't how it is.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
A trend I've seen during the current playoffs: Ceci is great in OT regardless of how the rest of the game went. He just shuts everything down when we get to extra time.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If this not s any indication, my Buddies who are now on the Sens bandwagon (Habs, Leafs, Oil fans mostly) all love Ceci, pick him to score every game. Kid competes hard and never gives up. And he's better then Derick Pouliot picked 8 spots before him, Pens fans actually call him Derick Poosalot and Olli Matta picked 7 spots later who Pitt fans actually call Holy Maatathatguyisslow

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If this not s any indication, my Buddies who are now on the Sens bandwagon (Habs, Leafs, Oil fans mostly) all love Ceci, pick him to score every game. Kid competes hard and never gives up. And he's better then Derick Pouliot picked 8 spots before him, Pens fans actually call him Derick Poosalot and Olli Matta picked 7 spots later who Pitt fans actually call Holy Maatathatguyisslow

And I wouldn't trade Ceci for Poosalot AND Mattathatguysisslow

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Right now, I think he can anchor a 3rd pair, or play a solid support role on a 2nd pair. Problem is Phaneuf is at that same place right now. Both guys need somebody a bit better than what we got to really thrive on that 2nd pair. I reallly hope that Chabot can solve the issue, he may also be a better match for Ceci's skill set than Phaneuf.

With time, or the right partner, I think he could be a support player on a first pair, it's just not happening here with Karlsson ahead of him.

I agree, I think both guys would be better off with a fast puck mover. Really hoping that Chabot can be that guy next season too, then maybe have Ceci with Wideman or something on the third pair.

Or maybe one of Methot or Ceci will get claimed, or a UFA or something comes into fill the gap.

Who the hell knows with the expansion draft,.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
No comment by burrows or Chezz on yesterday's performance, ceci must've had a great game.

Bahahaha. Sorry, I usually only reply during the week.

Yes, Ceci was better on Saturday, I will admit. But it's only one game. Gonna need a much bigger sample size to change my mind. Once Ceci can start piecing a few solid games together, maybe we can start talking about him turning the corner.

Sorry but until we stop talking about Ceci "working hard" and "playing big minutes" and actually start discussing the good technical aspects of his game, he will still a very borderline top 4 d-man in this league.

Ottawa played a great defensive game Saturday and Andy didn't do anything silly with the puck, but Pittsburgh also did not look very good. I am curious to see wht type of game Ceci/Phaneuf play tonight, the pens are gonna be flying tonight.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
If Ceci didn't have to touch the puck to fulfill his role, I'd consider him a great defenseman. This doesn't really much though, since handling the puck is such an important part of a defenseman's duties. I'm hoping he can figure that part out soon.

Phaneuf/Ceci is not a fun pairing to go up against. They are strong, physical players. Their work on the penalty kill lately has been phenomenal. They have no problem getting the puck back but can get into trouble on the breakout. It wasn't an issue for them in game one, though.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
A trend I've seen during the current playoffs: Ceci is great in OT regardless of how the rest of the game went. He just shuts everything down when we get to extra time.

This is truth. Maybe he just has reaaaaaallllly reaaaaaaaaaallly good stamina. Couple with brig big and fast

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I get guys liking him. But hard to take their opinion seriously when they pick him to "score every game".

If there are things to like about ceci his ability to be a threat to to score every game is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad