Player Discussion Cody Ceci Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
the thing with Yost is I think most of the time he starts with a theory and he includes some stats to support it. You have no idea what he might have analyzed and discarded because it doesn't support his theory.

sometimes I see stuff that is so poorly constructed it is laughable. earlier this week there was an hf partner article on the Atlantic division.

on the Sens they had us listed as 22nd in the league in scoring. But there is a huge disparity in games played that wasn't mentioned. But if your narrative is the Sens are having trouble scoring you write they are 22nd but fail to mention they were 15th at the time of writing considering games played. the data didn't fit the narrative so the used different data. And then later used per game data to support a different narrative. Yost IMO does the same kind of thing

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
aNAZarb.gif

ekarlsson65

Jan 11, 2015
Ottawa
I attended last night's game, don't know if it was just me, but I found Boro left his position quite a bit just to hit a guy, a couple of times skating right by his forwards to do so.

Phaneuf I thought played well
Methot and Karlsson were ok, didn't think much of either last night
Ceci and Wideman were ok too, thoguht Claesson was noticeable

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
the left side D in the system they play is supposed to be stepping up and hitting people and the forwards are supposed to be covering for them doing that. it's part of why Boro leads the league in hits because he has free rein to do that. When he does if there is no one covering for it, I'm pretty sure that the discussion in the room is with the high side forward that didn't cover, not with Boro for stepping up and going for the hit. Because he does that frequently is also probably why he is playing ahead of Claesson who most think, including me, brings more in just about every other aspect of the game.

The left side D stepping up for the hit gets talked about a lot by the analysts on TV.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I attended last night's game, don't know if it was just me, but I found Boro left his position quite a bit just to hit a guy, a couple of times skating right by his forwards to do so.

Phaneuf I thought played well
Methot and Karlsson were ok, didn't think much of either last night
Ceci and Wideman were ok too, thoguht Claesson was noticeable

Our NZ system is designed to funnel the play to the left side, ando the left side dish are encouraged to step up like that. Boro is certainly the most aggressive, but Phaneuf and methot will try to stand up the play in the nz from time to time too.

Pretty sure Boro is highly encouraged to do this.

ekarlsson65

Jan 11, 2015
Ottawa
Our NZ system is designed to funnel the play to the left side, ando the left side dish are encouraged to step up like that. Boro is certainly the most aggressive, but Phaneuf and methot will try to stand up the play in the nz from time to time too.

Pretty sure Boro is highly encouraged to do this.

Yeah I understand that their left side Dman are the physical guys, I was more or less surprised by how far out Boro was coming out to make a hit. He missed a few times and caused no separation of the puck or the play itself, so it just made me wonder why he was coming out so far from inside of his blueline to the neutral zone

I'm all for denying zone entries, believe me, it was more just how far out he was coming

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
the left side D in the system they play is supposed to be stepping up and hitting people and the forwards are supposed to be covering for them doing that. it's part of why Boro leads the league in hits because he has free rein to do that. When he does if there is no one covering for it, I'm pretty sure that the discussion in the room is with the high side forward that didn't cover, not with Boro for stepping up and going for the hit. Because he does that frequently is also probably why he is playing ahead of Claesson who most think, including me, brings more in just about every other aspect of the game.

The left side D stepping up for the hit gets talked about a lot by the analysts on TV.

Exactly, good post. For those that have yet to figure it out this is the coaches system that has been implemented & Boro is playing it exactly as GB wants him to play. :handclap:

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa

Lost in the sauce

I think he thought Tavares was going to split the D so he lined him up for a hit there. :help:
Ceci has incredibly slow mind. He gets read by forwards like an open book all the time, especially when he has the puck in his own zone.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Pyatt kinda lost his man going after the puck there. Gave up open ice to a man with speed. Not a great play by either guy there.

What Ceci did was just stupid. Any other D would angle him off but Ceci ran away from the player.

His hockey IQ just isn't there. You can't develop that.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
What? Is it the return of the gif argument to show someone is bad? Have I seen that before we one of our player?

One bad sequence, against JT of all player, doesn't represent the strong game he had by being in JT's face all game when it wasn't Pageau.

He played a strong game this afternoon.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
What? Is it the return of the gif argument to show someone is bad? Have I seen that before we one of our player?

One bad sequence, against JT of all player, doesn't represent the strong game he had by being in JT's face all game when it wasn't Pageau.

Since when do we need a gif to know that Ceci is average at best?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

He was matched up against tavares all game. Thought he did well against him aside from the one missed check.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well we know he's not a Tavares level player.

He does his thing. He's very average at his best at a very difficult job.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
He was matched up against tavares all game. Thought he did well against him aside from the one missed check.

Exactly my point. And it is Tavares of all player who beat him. No 4th line scrub. He will beat you eventually, GARANTEED.

Kinda hypocrite since the gif argument is use all the time to show how "bad" Karlsson is on D, on the main board. And this fan base is very fast to defend how Gif are ****.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Well we know he's not a Tavares level player.

He does his thing. He's very average at his best at a very difficult job.

Yes. Very average at a difficult job when you have to compete against 29 teams who, for the most part, all have someone better than Ceci doing that job so yea it's all about relativity.

I think people are getting carried away with this gif while it really has nothing to do with the criticism that Ceci has been getting since game 1 of the 2016-17 season.

And then people will say we are in a playoff spot. Sure, yea, Dallas also made the playoffs with Lethonen and Niemi last season. Doesn't mean they have good goaltending.

Our defensive system and especially the dedicatiob of our forwards on the defensive side makes Ceci look alright but when you look at him game in and game out it's worrying. Decision making is terrible. Last season was the exact same story but without a defensive structure. Now it's like everybody thinks Ceci has magically changed as a player. He's doing the exact same things as last season. Still bad decision making.

For some people here it's like winning = everybody's playing fine and that's pretty much where their performance evaluation stops. Look at him on the ice over a large sample, look at the stats over a large sample, look at the advanced stats if that's your thing... They all point in the same direction so I'm not sure what's with all the fantasy that Ceci is suddenly a great top 4 D.

Last edited:

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Some of you folks are bat**** crazy and it's difficult to figure out unless it's cool to be an internet warrior.

Ceci has been great as a young #4 dman, why is it necessary to isolate a single play on a single shift. I don't think folks know how to evaluate dmen besides looking at the scoring sheet.

If you think he will be exposed in the expansion draft you're nuts, if you think he'll be traded you're nuts. He will keep developing and will provide years of solid D. There is a contingent on this board that is both very immature and very poor at evaluating hockey players.

ekarlsson65

Jan 11, 2015
Ottawa

Ceci was 10/27 in EV Corsi today....

Do you see the problem with the eye-test sometimes??

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yes. Very average at a difficult job when you have to compete against 29 teams who, for the most part, all have someone better than Ceci doing that job so yea it's all about relativity.

I think people are getting carried away with this gif while it really has nothing to do with the criticism that Ceci has been getting since game 1 of the 2016-17 season.

And then people will say we are in a playoff spot. Sure, yea, Dallas also made the playoffs with Lethonen and Niemi last season. Doesn't mean they have good goaltending.

Our defensive system and especially the dedicatiob of our forwards on the defensive side makes Ceci look alright but when you look at him game in and game out it's worrying. Decision making is terrible.

I think he is a pretty average #4D. We have D better than him as well. Put a microscope on most players and shout out every mistake ... IMO He's not something to brag about but he is not absolute ***** either.

there are not more than 12-15 teams you can say their 4TH D is absolutely better than Ceci. If you factor in Ceci's age its another + for him.

I get frustrated watching parts of his game just like everyone else but it is a hard fn job to be really good at

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I think he is a pretty average #4D. We have D better than him as well. Put a microscope on most players and shout out every mistake ... IMO He's not something to brag about but he is not absolute ***** either.

there are not more than 12-15 teams you can say their 4TH D is absolutely better than Ceci. If you factor in Ceci's age its another + for him.

I get frustrated watching parts of his game just like everyone else but it is a hard fn job to be really good at

I agree. This is very reasonnable.

I don't think age is a + however. Some players are what they are from the get go. Ceci's problem is decision making so I'm not ready to say he'll ever become much better than he is right now after almost 300 games.

There's no doubt that he's played WAY out of his depth right now.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Some of you folks are bat**** crazy and it's difficult to figure out unless it's cool to be an internet warrior.

Ceci has been great as a young #4 dman, why is it necessary to isolate a single play on a single shift. I don't think folks know how to evaluate dmen besides looking at the scoring sheet.

If you think he will be exposed in the expansion draft you're nuts, if you think he'll be traded you're nuts. He will keep developing and will provide years of solid D. There is a contingent on this board that is both very immature and very poor at evaluating hockey players.

indeed there is and some of them are very frequent and vocal in posting about it.

What list does Johnny T make? Everyone's 10 best centers in the world list? A lot of peoples 5 best centers in the world list? And Ceci plays 17 or 18 minutes a night 5 on 5. I couldn't be bothered to look up how many minutes they were both on the ice for at 5 on 5.

Here's the reality of today's game. Johnny T, either top 5 or top 10 Johnny T, got shut out today like all his other islander buddies against a Sens team playing in front of an NHL goaltender. And not only did the Islanders get shut out, they really didn't get a sniff.

How many little interactions do you think occur in a game between a 1C and the shutdown dman who is out against him? So he got beat by Johnny T on a play. Geezus. I think some of you have no clue. At all.

The very least you could do is hold off your largely misplaced complaints for a game where Ceci and the Sens get lit up.

Lets just enjoy today's shutout and hope the Leafs lose tonight!

Go Sens Go!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ceci was 10/27 in EV Corsi today....

Do you see the problem with the eye-test sometimes??

I see a problem with the Cf% test.

He was 56.66% in xGF and 71.43% in HDCF%

Islanders had very few quality chances with him out there, and that's mostly with there top line out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->