Codi Burki's draft and upside potential

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Heard him on the radio today talking about he's really only had 1 good season (imo that's because 2 years ago Brandon had Stone, Fehr, Sindel, Konsorada, Monych) all playing 80% of the ice time!).
I see him as a guy who has decent speed, good skills but maybe a little light on determination, but he did seem to increase his intensity as this season went along.
Where does everyone project him being drafted? I say 35 to 40.
And does anyone want to take a stab at predicting what sort of player he might turn out to be at best? (upside potential)

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
sbtatter said:
Heard him on the radio today talking about he's really only had 1 good season (imo that's because 2 years ago Brandon had Stone, Fehr, Sindel, Konsorada, Monych) all playing 80% of the ice time!).
I see him as a guy who has decent speed, good skills but maybe a little light on determination, but he did seem to increase his intensity as this season went along.
Where does everyone project him being drafted? I say 35 to 40.
And does anyone want to take a stab at predicting what sort of player he might turn out to be at best? (upside potential)

I think that's about right.

He's a nice kid, and probably did well in his interviews with the NHL teams. A lot of upside there if he can ratchet up the consistency, but he did make a compelling argument about the clear progression of improvement his career has taken. He perhaps has not maximized his physical gifts, but you can't argue with the increase in production as his role with the Wheaties increased.

If the Bruins took him at 37, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I think he could be a real find, a 30+ goal, point a game guy. Of course he could also turn out to be nothing. But I get a good vibe from this guy for some reason - I get similar vibes from Marcinko, Emmerton, Ryan, Berglund, Persson and Joensuu. Can't tell you why, I just do.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
He is my #1 target for the Hawks at #33 if still on the board (EXCEPT IF GOALIE RIKU HELENIUS is still available)--but if the Hawks go centre again--- after taking a centre at #3--- and he's there,they had better grab him.

At THE TOP PROSPECTS GAME,he was the best player on the ice--he has as much skill and talent if not more than most of the top centres expected to go early in round one--consistency is his problem--but,talent-wise (speed,skating,hockey sebnse,passing he has tremendous skill--also a good shot but he sometimes like to over-pass)...he also has good size but had a "perimeter" label stuck on him rather than using his size more in physical play--but reports posted by some observers said that he did start going more to the net in the later part of last season--the talent is there --the question is desireand consistent use of that talent.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
I watched all his home games last season and he did get a little grittier. he's not a hard hitter by any stretch of the imagination, but that's not his role. With every month that passed and the extra playing time along with it, he improved, maybe he'll keep improving this year as well and turn out to be a sleeper? Some nights he reminded me of Setoguchi and Yellowhorn, other nights he took off he reminded me of Dittmer.
Guys like this are what help make the draft such a lottery!!

no Gino

May 16, 2005
Interested to see what type of comments this thread generates as I've been following Codey's progress closely. I can tell you that the teams that have shown the most interest appear to be Dallas(They flew him down to Toronto for interviews with their team psych. and head scout pre combine) and Montreal. He also had early interest from Toronto and St Louis. Supposedly he felt his interviews went best with San Jose and Edmonton.

I had a pretty strong feeling that he would go to Dallas at 27 or St Louis at 30, initially. My guess is he goes anywhere from 27th to 37th. I think his success at the next level will depend on how he is used. Seems to play well when matched with speedy guys who can finish. I think that showed in the prospects game.

I know his desire is questioned in many scouting reports, but I can tell you he works very hard to improve his game. His dad says he barely recognized him when he came home shortly before the combine due to the condition he was in.

Hoping he goes in the first as we're having the family over for a draft party. Hope to see him take the stage.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
There's no doubt he's on the upswing, and he could have a really big year in 06/07 with a much stronger Wheaties team to support him. After November of this past season he really went from strength to strength.
Really interested to see where he goes.
Incidentally, some of the draft eligible players are out in BC doing team interviews again this week, has he gone out early for them as well?

no Gino

May 16, 2005
sbtatter said:
There's no doubt he's on the upswing, and he could have a really big year in 06/07 with a much stronger Wheaties team to support him. After November of this past season he really went from strength to strength.
Really interested to see where he goes.
Incidentally, some of the draft eligible players are out in BC doing team interviews again this week, has he gone out early for them as well?

I know he leaves Thursday. Not sure what he has planned when he gets there.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
BobMarleyNYR said:
I wouldn't pick Burki till the third round.

Then maybe you shouldn't pick him at all? If there's a reason you've dropped him to 90-120 on your list, first of all he wouldn't even be on it because NHL teams bring a list of about 70-80 players. Second is if there's something in his game that warrants a drop it also warrants not being ranked and he's not highly thought of at all...someone your team would never draft.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Balej's Dance said:
Then maybe you shouldn't pick him at all? If there's a reason you've dropped him to 90-120 on your list, first of all he wouldn't even be on it because NHL teams bring a list of about 70-80 players. Second is if there's something in his game that warrants a drop it also warrants not being ranked and he's not highly thought of at all...someone your team would never draft.

What happens when your 70-80 players are gone? Do you draw names out of a hat? :confused:

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
sarcastro said:
What happens when your 70-80 players are gone? Do you draw names out of a hat? :confused:

Lists are said to be dramatically different after the top few known quantities. I read somewhere that that scenario has never happened yet. Its been said that a team has yet to scramble to make a pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->