Codey Burki: YGH #15, ISS #50/28, McKeens #74. Who is this guy???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB2004

Nov 29, 2004
At the start of this month Young Guns Hockey had Burki the highest at #15, International Scouting had him at #50 and then upgraded him to #28 and McKeens had him at #74. That seems like a pretty wide range of rankings. Anybody have some more info on this guy?

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
TCB2004 said:
At the start of this month Young Guns Hockey had Burki the highest at #15, International Scouting had him at #50 and then upgraded him to #28 and McKeens had him at #74. That seems like a pretty wide range of rankings. Anybody have some more info on this guy?
I've watched him the last 2 seasons and he's come on well, but 15th is laughable. He's not that big, he's not that physical, but he does have decent speed and better than average hands. I'd take Ryan White ahead of him any day.

no Gino

May 16, 2005
sbtatter said:
I've watched him the last 2 seasons and he's come on well, but 15th is laughable. He's not that big, he's not that physical, but he does have decent speed and better than average hands. I'd take Ryan White ahead of him any day.

White is definitely tougher but Burki is bigger, faster and has more offensive skills than White. My guess is they go pretty close to each other when all is said and done.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Burki won the MVP for team Orr.
He isn't bigger than White, no matter what their stats say. He doesn't have the heart of White, but he is faster. White's a lot tougher, will fight as well. Burki shoots more, White likes to set guys up more. 45 points for White on 170 Calgary goals, 44 points for Burki on 173 Bdn goals.
White is a heart and soul team member, whereas Burki is more of a peripheral player. If White and Burki go close in the draft, the team that picks White will be better off.

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
sbtatter said:
He isn't bigger than White, no matter what their stats say. He doesn't have the heart of White, but he is faster. White's a lot tougher, will fight as well. Burki shoots more, White likes to set guys up more. 45 points for White on 170 Calgary goals, 44 points for Burki on 173 Bdn goals.
White is a heart and soul team member, whereas Burki is more of a peripheral player. If White and Burki go close in the draft, the team that picks White will be better off.
I agree with everything you say. However, Id assume that White is playing with higher class players in Calgary than the supporting cast burki has

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
White's got better team mates, no doubt, interesting to see that Bdn have scored more goals than calgary though isn't it? (What a brutal start to the season for the Wheaties!!!!)
As much as I like Burki though, I still think White has way more qualities to make it up the hockey ladder. I don't see the drive and intensity required from Burki.
The one thing White lacks is speed, which he needs to improve. As Kisio said of White though, "the sum is more than his parts"

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
sbtatter said:

I would agree with most of what you said....I do think that White has played with better players in Calgary.....I also think that Burki is a lot closer in size then people think....the kid is about 6'1-6'2 and has got to be near 200 lbs at this point.....he has added a lot of weight in the last 2 years for brandon and his game has went to a new level that I at one point thought it would get to........and then questioned after not much of a step up last year.

Burki is no doubt faster and way more talented with the offensive game. He hits very little....White can hit better no question...I dont think people are going to be drafting white based on fighting at this point.

I would say they will go very close in the draft with the better of them to be decided by if either make it.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Burki is an early second rounder. Not good enough for first round, but too good of an asset to drop later.

Just like Chris Bourque. Not quite good enough to grab in round one, but too good to let slip passed your second pick.

I see Burki going in the top fourty for sure, but fifteenth overall is a massive stretch, and even Burki would tell you that.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Burki is being rated too high...

based on one media hyped event.

Is he a good "prospect"?

Yes he is. But his maturity and overall play, skills & choices have to continue to improve. He is raw talent and ability...lagging behind where he should be compared to others who deserve his rating. Work ethic & focus/maturity I would question - he has tools; is the tool-box there?

I wouldn't pick him until a late 2nd to early 3rd round. 3 to 4 years before the NHL; projected third line player with some upside for 2nd powerplay. :teach:

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
your all forgetting that burki having a late birthday has had another year to mature compared to most of his draft peers. he isnt all that special if its as early as even a 3rd round id rather have my canucks take a gamble or long term project.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
he had a great Top Prospects Game and I kept following him the rest of the season in his stats production to see if he was a blossing star or if it was just one good game...to me,he has not put up as many points as I expected since that great showing at the Top Prospects Game...but--this may also be some measure of the
lack of talent on his Brandon club this year...on the other hand I think Michael Grabner of Spokane has stepped up and continued his fine showing at the Top Prospects Game as the LW to Burki's centre in that game (thier line with Riley Holzapfel who played RW in that game was the best line of that game) --Grabner seems to have scored quite a few goals for his low scoring Spokane team since the Top Prospects Game (but season-long he does not have many assists) --so Grabner's more of a sniping winger--Burki more of a play-maker centre who would have more points if he had better linemates..

no Gino

May 16, 2005
Now that Mckeens has updated, he is 15 on Young Guns, 28 on ISS and 22 on McKeens. Not that large a variation. I'm sure when CSB updates at year end it will reflect something similar.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Burki's exactly as has been described... nice skillset, decent hustle, but he doesn't have one elite trait, which is what's going to hold him back from major success as a pro. He could get more than 5 years in the NHL, I think, but it's really all up to him. He has to hustle more, he has to keep working at everything, and he has to develop one outstanding ability.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Mr Bugg said:
Burki's exactly as has been described... nice skillset, decent hustle, but he doesn't have one elite trait, which is what's going to hold him back from major success as a pro. He could get more than 5 years in the NHL, I think, but it's really all up to him. He has to hustle more, he has to keep working at everything, and he has to develop one outstanding ability.

Agreed. Some of these rankings (#15, #22) seem awful high for a guy like him.

Decent size, decent skill level, but I don't see any sort of dynamic skill that makes him a real solid projection as a top-6 forward. Nor is there the sort of grit or intensity (see Ryan White) that makes him look like a solid checking-line guy. And he's a late-87 so he's had an extra year to develop his game.

To me, his upside is in the Matt Cullen range - solid, serviceable two-way player with pretty good size who can be a decent 2nd line guy - and his downside is in the Kris Beech-y 'doesn't do anything well enough to cut it' range.

Is he really much better than Joe Barnes - who went #64 overall - was at this time last year? I dunno - I'd think of him in the 30-40 range with an outside chance of sneaking into the bottom few picks of round 1.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
MS said:
Agreed. Some of these rankings (#15, #22) seem awful high for a guy like him.

Decent size, decent skill level, but I don't see any sort of dynamic skill that makes him a real solid projection as a top-6 forward. Nor is there the sort of grit or intensity (see Ryan White) that makes him look like a solid checking-line guy. And he's a late-87 so he's had an extra year to develop his game.

To me, his upside is in the Matt Cullen range - solid, serviceable two-way player with pretty good size who can be a decent 2nd line guy - and his downside is in the Kris Beech-y 'doesn't do anything well enough to cut it' range.

Is he really much better than Joe Barnes - who went #64 overall - was at this time last year? I dunno - I'd think of him in the 30-40 range with an outside chance of sneaking into the bottom few picks of round 1.

He isnt a lot lower then the 20-25 rankings that he is getting this year......remember this is a horrible draft class after the top 10-12.....the kid has good skills.......great wheels.....pretty solid offensivley.........needs to keep developing his game and putting on a little more weight but he will as he has 2 more years in the dub.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
As I posted before--he was a bit disappointing in the month following the TPG--but he came on stronger in the final month with several multipoint games...probably a 25-40 pick in the draft...what I like most about him at the TPG was his "hockey sense" in playing his centre position-he looked like the most natural centre of any who played that position on either team in that game...his anticipation on transitions and passing/use of linemates was outstanding...I think he has the skill-set to be a good centre--but it remains to be seen if he develops more consistency and the desire to elevate to the next level.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
hawksfan50 said:
As I posted before--he was a bit disappointing in the month following the TPG--but he came on stronger in the final month with several multipoint games...probably a 25-40 pick in the draft...what I like most about him at the TPG was his "hockey sense" in playing his centre position-he looked like the most natural centre of any who played that position on either team in that game...his anticipation on transitions and passing/use of linemates was outstanding...I think he has the skill-set to be a good centre--but it remains to be seen if he develops more consistency and the desire to elevate to the next level.

He isnt going to develop into a top line center on any team once he is done in the dub very likely......but he has the potential to be a solid 2nd line center......very least a good third line center with upside......I could see him turning out to be a Peter Schaefer type player who works hard chips in with 20 goals a year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->