Coburn!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
I don't think Coburn will ever be the physical presence that Phaneuf or Suter is likely to bring to the game. That being said, its not like Coburn is soft. He can take the body, and certainly in this early season and pre-season action, has shown that he intends to be much more physical, nasty and play with an edge more than previous seasons.

The strengths of his game are his skating and his puck movement. For a player who's 6'5", he does skate quite well. He's not afraid to join the rush, and looks to have improved his shot a lot over the summer. His release is quicker, his shots better placed, and just seems to shoot with more authority this season.

I don't think Coburn will ever be a flashy Dman, nor do I think he'll fit into any sort of mold... he's not just stay at home, nor just offensive. He is likely to be a top 4 Dman, who does a bunch of things quietly and quite well.

I think one of the things that will be interesting to watch this season (assuming he stays in the WHL) will be if he can be a better team leader than he was last season. He wore the "C" last season, but seemed at times to be bearing that letter as if it was the weight of the world. He again has the "C" this year. Hopefully a year of maturity will help him, and he'll not look quite as overwhelmed by the captaincy.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
Another thought: a challenge this season too for Coburn is that he will be the most experienced Dman on the Winterhawks. This will be the first season this has happened. Chances are he will be paired with a rookie night in and night out. It will be interesting to see how he reacts to this situation, and how much knowledge he can impart to the rookies.

Whawks33

Apr 1, 2002
Portland OR
Visit site
All Star United said:
Particularly on this board : Everybody just keeps praising him :shakehead

What's not to praise? He's a big guy who plays a solid all-around game.

Like I said, he's not flashy, he's not going to mow down players, but he'll get the job done. And he'll efficiently move the puck out of his own end with solid passing.

Seems every month he takes an aspect of his game and works on it. He's always interested in improving.

He's not the next coming of Orr, but he is a top drawer Dman

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
personally, i don't think he would have been taken in the top ten of 2003 if he were say, 6'2. his main appeal is, let's face it, his size. his skillset isn't really comparable to phaneuf and suter.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
nomorekids said:
personally, i don't think he would have been taken in the top ten of 2003 if he were say, 6'2. his main appeal is, let's face it, his size. his skillset isn't really comparable to phaneuf and suter.

I dunno. I watched him in the World Junior Camp and he's an excellent passer who makes good decisions with the puck. Got his shot on net as well although his shot isn't as hard as Phaneuf's.

He was taken top 10 because of his size, his skating (which is amazing for his size), his hockey sense, decision making, outlet passing, etc.

I think most would take Phaneuf and Suter ahead of him at this point but he's certainly not as bad as some are trying to make him out to be. He's still a bluechip prospect who will likely be a top pairing all-around, play in all situations defensemen. Really the only weakness I see is that he needs more of a mean streak and needs to continue to add strength. The strength will come, the mean streak is the question mark.

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
nomorekids said:
Just curious, how many times have you seen all three play?

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Coburn plays great one game, lousy the next. Man, he can look invisable some nights. In the WHL Giants opener versus the Winterhawks, he was just awful, but by all accounts the night before in the Winterhawks opener, he was okay.

All in all, he was probobly drafted about 10 - 15 picks too high. I think he has a future as a top 4 defenseman, but he won't be a top pairing guy I don't think. Sort of like a Cory Cross with more puck skill.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
nomorekids said:

To tell you the truth, I thought he had the highest upside of the three going into the draft, but naturally, was also the biggest risk too. He is a very good skater and makes an excellent first pass. A Chris Pronger type player is how I thought of him, but lately, out of the big 3, he has made the least strides forward and been the most unimpressive so I will agree with you there.

All Star United

Mar 1, 2002
Liverpool
Whawks33 said:
What's not to praise? He's a big guy who plays a solid all-around game.

Like I said, he's not flashy, he's not going to mow down players, but he'll get the job done. And he'll efficiently move the puck out of his own end with solid passing.

Seems every month he takes an aspect of his game and works on it. He's always interested in improving.

He's not the next coming of Orr, but he is a top drawer Dman

I was being sarcastic ;) IMO, there are a lot of people here who don't like how Coburn plays. But I'm not one of those :D

Don't forget that d-men take longer to develop than forwards. I really think that we will only be able to tell in 5 years if he were taken too high, but right now, I really think that was a good pick by the Thrashers.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Kaiped Krusader said:
I haven't seen Suter play so I can't comment on him fairly but I hear he's more chippy than physical, though. Does that sound accurate?

That might be an accurate assessment. He'll lay the body, but he spreads his beatings over the course of the game as opposed to one or two big hits. From what I saw of Wisconsin, his hits and style just build up over the course of the game. It's a stick here, an elbow there, a forearm here, a shove there, a shoulder here, a smack into the boards there. He doesn't go out for hits, but he certainly didn't pass up any chances along the boards to inflict some pain. Nothing major, and he rarely ever gets called for any of it, but when it's all said and done, the other guy probably knows he's been in a hockey game. He's a lot like Chelios in that regard. He's just mean and wants you to know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad