Coburn or Coliacovo

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
this would have been more fun as a poll

Being that Cola is a Leaf, and Coburn has had more support on this thread (at least 60/40) - I'd say Coburn wins in a landslide.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I am curious which one everyone would take, I hear leaf fans think pretty Highly of him and I am curious what the majority of you would do if you had the choice.

I am a flyer fan i have really liked what i have seen from Coburn, I have seen Carlo play and I think he has some real potential as well.

I would personaly take Coburn but I have seen alot more of him than Carlo.

When Coburn played with the Wolves he looked like a for sure NHL'er. Durring the lock out year i caught a lot of AHL games and the only hockey on TV was the Wolves so I saw alot of him.

Hammerwise

Jun 13, 2002
Visit site
Don't get me wrong I think Cola is the more polished offensive player and plays every bit as physical as coburn at the moment. I think Cola could be a top 4, but has never shown consistency and production, due to injuries. He looks to be an okay puck mover, but he hasn't provided pts (and in TOR's system, defensemen score/join the rush alot).

I think Coburn will be the better player because:

Injuries/various chances over the span of 4-5 pro yrs whereas Coburn has been in the pros 2 yrs?
Saying Cola is more defensively responsible than McCabe isn't saying much.
Cola has had much more experience in the pros and should at this pt be better than Coburn, but from what I saw this season when both were playing (Coburn in PHI) they were incredibly even.
Cola was seen as an offensive dman, and while he has an all-around game, the offense isn't coming.
PHI's defense can't be much worst than last yr and the injuries/retirements left a pretty bad defense. Also when you hit rock bottom, nobody is untouchable. Coburn will get good minutes.

TOR's defense gave up less shots, but most of them were shockers and resulted in goals. We spent 17 million on our defense last yr and gave up the same amount of goals. What this says to me is that our defense (and our team defense) isn't very good defensively.
Mccabe, kaberle, kubina are all in the top 4 for at least 3 more yrs and will, as usual, get overplayed minute-wise, whereas cola won't get as many good minutes. (White got more last yr, at 18 mins a game last yr). White just got a cheap 3 yr deal, whereas Cola has been unable to establish himself, thats why I think next season makes or breaks him.

I think Cola is good and COULD BE a good 2nd pairing guy, if he can actually not get injured. Coburn seems to have a higher ceiling and the better opportunity.

ELab2

Apr 9, 2007
Atlantic City
I don't get to see Cola a lot but when I have seen he looked like a potential top-4 and a very good 5/6 in a couple of years. Coburn was great in his short time in Philly. You take a little bit away from that because this wasn't a stacked defensive team that really expected to win a lot of games but I was reallllly impressed. First of all he made some of the best outlet passes I've ever seen a defender his age make. He's fast, huge, and has a very solid shot. And I disagree that he doesn't play "6'5". I know he had a rep for not being physical before he came to Philly, but I think Hatcher called him a puss or something because he laid some very very solid hits. He still needs to learn to be better positionally and use his body more along the boards and in front of the net, but if he improves from how he played last year with Philly he could be their #2 defenseman.

wildone26*

The hilarious thing is there are some Leaf fans who think Carlo will be a top 4 D man on the Leafs next season.

Hammerwise

Jun 13, 2002
Visit site
Well I think he will be, white is not a good partner for mccabe or kaberle. Kaberle and kubina are better together, but if mccabe and kaberle are paired, white could be 2nd pairing with kubina.

Cola will be top 4 (until hes injured) but white will get more pp minutes. Cola can play in all situations, but at the moment he's not one of their top 3 defenseman at any single one (pp,pk,even strength).

wildone26*

Well I think he will be, white is not a good partner for mccabe or kaberle. Kaberle and kubina are better together, but if mccabe and kaberle are paired, white could be 2nd pairing with kubina.

Cola will be top 4 (until hes injured) but white will get more pp minutes. Cola can play in all situations, but at the moment he's not one of their top 3 defenseman at any single one (pp,pk,even strength).

Carlo will not be top 4 unless his TOI is top 4, which he wont be so he wont be top 4. As for the PP you are probably wrong on that since Carlo played on the PP over White at the end of last season, so probably will to start next season too. Kubina and White would not be paired together either. So basically we disagree on everything. :)

mooseOAK*

this would have been more fun as a poll

Being that Cola is a Leaf, and Coburn has had more support on this thread (at least 60/40) - I'd say Coburn wins in a landslide.

Coburn is winning 60/40 because Colaiacovo is a Leaf.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Coburn is winning 60/40 because Colaiacovo is a Leaf.

Coburn is winning 60/40 because he's basically progressed as much in a lot shorter time in the league, and without all the injuries, on top of which he was on the worst team in the league and NOT on the highest paid defence in the league. :teach:

Some Leafs fans need to get off their high horse and quit thinking the whole world is out to get them, unless they're UFA's, and then they'll play there for free. :naughty:

mooseOAK*

Coburn is winning 60/40 because he's basically progressed as much in a lot shorter time in the league, and without all the injuries, on top of which he was on the worst team in the league and NOT on the highest paid defence in the league. :teach:

Some Leafs fans need to get off their high horse and quit thinking the whole world is out to get them, unless they're UFA's, and then they'll play there for free. :naughty:

I'll put it this way. If Coburn is better than Colaiacovo then the Thrashers wouldn't have traded him for a playoff rental. I know that as a Flyer fan you think that a pot of gold just landed on your doorstep but don't get all that excited.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
As a Flyer fan, living near Toronto, with Center Ice, I have watched both play. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, Cola has been the Leafs #1 defensive PROSPECT for 6 years now. And we're still waiting for him to show what he's got. Of course a lot of that has to do with health issues, but that's the biggest part of his problem. We know he can play, he just gets hurt way too often. And it's got nothing to do with his jersey.

Coburn, like I also mentioned, was labelled as a bust, being picked before Phaneuf having part to do with it, and not playing like he was expected also factoring in. When he was traded to Philly, and actually got to play, he played very well. Better than I expected. Our best defenceman on some nights. He has very little experience in the NHL, so I can only expect him to get better. And I agree with the poster who said he'll probably end up better than Parent, because he seems to have a very good all around game.

That playoff rental was also our best defenceman at the time. It's not like Atlanta gave him to us for nothing. But it is what happens when you're a seller at that time of year. Believe me, I know as you do, both our teams are usually buyers then.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
I'll put it this way. If Coburn is better than Colaiacovo then the Thrashers wouldn't have traded him for a playoff rental. I know that as a Flyer fan you think that a pot of gold just landed on your doorstep but don't get all that excited.

Also, lot's of good players have been traded for playoff rentals. Too many to list. We got Upshall and Parent and a 1st and a 3rd for the other playoff rental we traded. Brett Hull went for a rental.

PF

Aug 23, 2003
UK
Visit site
In addition Zhitnik was not a rental, he is signed to another two years and will be a Thrasher again at the start of next season (bar a trade). Whether at $3.5 million per over those two years is a good thing or not I'll leave up to you to decide.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
The hilarious thing is there are some Leaf fans who think Carlo will be a top 4 D man on the Leafs next season.

You know what the hillarious thing is...He actually was one of the top 4 defensemen on the Leafs, paired up with McCabe.

wildone26*

You know what the hillarious thing is...He actually was one of the top 4 defensemen on the Leafs, paired up with McCabe.

The hilarious thing is that you say he is a top 4 defenseman when he finished 6th in ice time last season, and when the same 5 defenseman who finished over him in ice time last season are now signed to long term 1-way contracts. I wonder how many top 4 defenseman can never hope to finish top 4 in ice time, have limited job security, and are in a precarious spot to even stay in the starting lineup.

Safir*

I'll put it this way. If Coburn is better than Colaiacovo then the Thrashers wouldn't have traded him for a playoff rental.

You might wanna check back with Bob Hartley's tendency to play older washed up vets, rather than young players. What's amazing is that younger players are punished for mistakes, while his favorites (like DeVries) get away with sloppy play.

As a Canes fan, I was very glad to hear that Hartley will be back behind the bench next season. :snide:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad