Coaching

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Who do you think should be the coach going forward? Would you be happy with Ward? Or, Do you want the organization to after one of the more established coaches?

Where do you see the coaching for this team?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Established coach. There were some available when Tre fired Peters.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It’ll depend on these playoffs.

I find Ward a very good interim coach, and i don’t mind him riding the HC title for the rest of the season (which is obvious he is already doing).

But when you have the likes of Gallant and Laviolette available, you have to finally stop penny pinching with arguably the most important job in hockey and just go for it. GG was bad, Peters was good, but let go for something that was worth letting go to. Treliving has tried going the “hire your own coach” method, but it’s time for this team to take the next step and hire someone that will be able to get them past more than just a round or two and hopefully the Stanley Cup. Gallant and Laviolette have done that before.

I find us in a similar situation as the Flyers. Their makeup of the team from 18/19 and 19/20 is one major difference: Coaching. They hired AV and now they’re a powerhouse. Just shows how much emphasis and importance there is on coaching in the NHL.

I don’t mind Ward, in fact, I really like him and am happy that he kept our team in playoff contention (for the most part).

But, it’s time we hire a coach with a proven track record to get the Flames going where they should have been going since the hire of GG.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think Ward's performance determines if we get one of GGallant, BB or Lavi.

If Ward goes far in the ploffs, I think he gets a HC nod. To be fair, he's done decently well for the crappy situation he was thrown.

I also can't seem to help but wonder if he seems like the type of personality that actually prefers and enjoys being an AC more than a HC. At least, there seems to be hints of it in some of his interviews. He seems to like the player interaction and helping stuff rather than full on playbook it seems, but I also think he likes being HC to make roster decisions from his discussions with the players (ie: Backlund doesn't like wing, prefers centre). So I am actually wondering if he would actually be open to be an AC with occasional say in roster decisions to an established coach we bring in.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Unless some miraculous Cinderella story occurs in these playoffs, I’ll be very annoyed if Ward is brought back as head coach for next season when you have options such as Gallant, Laviolette and Boudreau available.

Reactions: Mobiandi and Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Unless some miraculous Cinderella story occurs in these playoffs, I’ll be very annoyed if Ward is brought back as head coach for next season when you have options such as Gallant, Laviolette and Boudreau available.
Only a convincing run towards the finals or being knocked out by the eventual champions in a nail biting finish might change my mind about Ward. Good guy, but not enough confidence in him while our window is still open.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The fact we haven't hired Gallant or Laviolette yet legitimately pisses me off.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00