NBA Coaching Carousel 2018

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
IMO the Knicks should go all out for Jeff Van Gundy. He showed last summer with Team USA he can still coach and he was the last coach to have sort of real success with the organization.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Bucks job looks like a good one. The top coaching candidates should wait until their season is over before going for one of those other jobs.

I'd be surprised if SVG is back in Detroit so they'll probably have an opening as well.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I still believe in Fizdale as a HC, even though it ended very strangely with the Grizzlies. I don't trust Knicks ownership/management at all but if by some miracle they can put some decent pieces around Porzingis, I think this will be a really good hire for them.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Saw that the Bucks are interviewing Spurs assistant Becky Hammon. Mike Budenholzer is also rumored to be in the mix.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He was rumoured to be out for some time. I think SVG the president of basketball operations really hurt SVG the coach. These dual roles haven't worked with Doc, Budenholzer, or SVG and I think one could make the argument it's headed that way with Thibs as well.

He could be a candidate for one of these other open jobs but if not, I hope we get to see SVG on TV. There's no more David Stern to block him from getting a TV role like he did when ESPN wanted to hire him a few years back.

Reactions: Reality Check

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Now we know why he made the Blake trade. Clearly he knew his ass was on the line.

Or perhaps no.

Van Gundy knew his ass was on the line. But both him and Gores knew the team needed some buzz as well. Blake Griffin is still really good and they didn't surrender much. He has just been unfortunately fragile.

Same goes with Reggie Jackson. Though he is no way near a star player, he is still an important one. Van Gundy has been pretty top notch in trades.

Where he has screwed up is in free agency and the draft. You can't do both those things when you're a mid-level market. From what I gather(and why this happened now as opposed to the end of the season) Gores was willing to give him another chance. But he had to give up head coach responsibilities or president responsibilities. He wasn't budging.

At this point, it's best to move on. I like Van Gundy but was never a fan of him having complete control as that hardly ever works out. More so, Gores stayed out of the way(until Blake Griffin) and let him do his thing. He just didn't get it done. Whether that be bad luck or just flat out underachieving.

If he goes into broadcasting, he would be amazing. Like Charles Barkley expectations but far more serious.

Reactions: Voight and Avs_19

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I predict things are going to go very, very wrong with Fizdale and Porzingis if the article that came out recently highlighting Fizdale's time in Memphis is anything to lean on.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I predict things are going to go very, very wrong with Fizdale and Porzingis if the article that came out recently highlighting Fizdale's time in Memphis is anything to lean on.

I read the one article from a NY reporter and while it didn't make Fizdale look great, I think it showed he had the right idea. Everyone said the Grizzlies needed to reinvent themselves and that's exactly what Fizdale tried to do by moving on from Z-Bo and Allen and changing the offense. He probably could've have done a better job of getting Gasol to buy in but that article suggested it was doomed from the start because Gasol didn't really want to change. IMO, he's a very good coach and will probably be successful if they can ever get the right pieces around Porzingis. Next season is going to be tough though since the earliest Porzingis will be back is sometime in January and he might even miss the entire season.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I read the one article from a NY reporter and while it didn't make Fizdale look great, I think it showed he had the right idea. Everyone said the Grizzlies needed to reinvent themselves and that's exactly what Fizdale tried to do by moving on from Z-Bo and Allen and changing the offense. He probably could've have done a better job of getting Gasol to buy in but that article suggested it was doomed from the start because Gasol didn't really want to change. IMO, he's a very good coach and will probably be successful if they can ever get the right pieces around Porzingis. Next season is going to be tough though since the earliest Porzingis will be back is sometime in January and he might even miss the entire season.
It seemed to me he was hell bent on instilling the "Miami way" onto the Grizzlies, but IMO the "Miami way" is the "LeBron way", and he doesn't have LeBron James anymore. If he tries instilling the "Miami way" in New York, I think he's going to be met with great resistance once again because nobody is LeBron James.

Gasol played a big role in the dissension, too, so I can't pin it all on Fizdale but he seemed to try implementing something that was doomed from the start.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It seemed to me he was hell bent on instilling the "Miami way" onto the Grizzlies, but IMO the "Miami way" is the "LeBron way", and he doesn't have LeBron James anymore. If he tries instilling the "Miami way" in New York, I think he's going to be met with great resistance once again because nobody is LeBron James.

Gasol played a big role in the dissension, too, so I can't pin it all on Fizdale but he seemed to try implementing something that was doomed from the start.

The Heat way of doing things has nothing to do with LeBron. What he wanted to bring over was more so the player development, defense first mentality, and ridiculous conditioning they do. It has been working for the Heat for a long time and I'd say it worked pretty well with the Grizzlies as well. Fizdale won 43 games in his first season and took the Spurs to six games in the playoffs. Their defensive rating went from 19th in the NBA to 7th after just one season. I don't know what happened after that with Gasol but it seems like he was in the minority. Conley didn't want Fizdale gone and neither did a bunch of their younger players. Unfortunately for Fizdale, Gasol is the one guy in the organization he couldn't get on the wrong side of.

Reactions: cgf and Virtanen18

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->