Coaches,Gms, Crosby or Ovechkin

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Letang fan 58, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Letang fan 58

Letang fan 58 No More Fleury

I keep hearing interviews where coaches/GM's keep choosing Crosby over Ovechkin even with Ovechkin being better to this point of the season.

I see people whining that Ovechkin deserves to be the number 1 prospect right now and no matter what he wont be for whatever reason.

Well no matter if you are a Crosby lover or hater and there are plenty of both to go around.......Crosby has 2 years on Ovechkin and is NOT THAT FAR behind Ovechkin at this point.

This alone puts him as the number 1 prospect in my eyes........and from what I can tell around the NHL the eyes of the GM's and Coaches that get asked the question daily.

2. Bonzi

Bonzi Registered User

student
    how do you know? maybe he won't grow up as a player in this two years?

3. Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan Registered User

He's actually grown up quite a bit in the last couple of months from what I have seen. Shows some reason for optimism about the next couple of years I would think.

4. xander

xander Registered User

Home Page:
    The thing is that Ovechkin has a facet to his game that Crosby will never have, no matter how much he develops in the next 2, 5, or 10 years. This of course is the brutal physicality that Ovechkin brings to the ice.

Now i'm not one of those people that think Crosby is a soft player, but he will never become the 6'2" wrecking ball that Ovechkin is. Crosby may be chippy, but Ovechkin is frightening, and that gulf can never be breached.

That being said, physicality isn't everything, and there are aspects to Crosby's game that Alex will probably never match (I like Ovechkin's passing skills, but I don't think he'll ever have the vision that Sidney does.) I think they will reach similiar levels of greatness, but they are, and will be, differant kinds of players. In the end it comes down to preferance, and I just love the way Ovechkin plays the game. I know that Crosby can never be that kind of player, regardless of how far behind he may be in development. Thus, if given a choicce between the two, I will always take Ovechkin.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  5. Jaded-Fan

ummmm . . . .

Overall, league attendance in up 3.8 per cent compared to October of the 2003-04 season.

Thanks in large part to the arrival of No. 1 overall pick Sidney Crosby, the Pittsburgh Penguins boasted the biggest increase at 31 per cent, followed by defending Stanley Cup-champion Tampa Bay Lightning at 26 per cent.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2005/11/01/Sports/nhl_attendance051101.html

Coming off a one-season lockout in which the league failed to play a single game, the Capitals have the fourth-worst record in the NHL and rank last in the league in attendance

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/20/AR2006012001832.html

6. Jaded-Fan

You had me with 'Pittsburg is more of a hockey city that Washington will ever be.'

I do not even care about the wrong spelling of Pittsburgh or even the further contents of the thread. That was music to hear.

7. afterhours

afterhours Registered User

I personally don't like this argument because player progression doesn't necessarily grow linearly - also players' ability plateau (or flatten). There are so many factors that can either bridge the two or widen them farther. Injuries are often commonplace in a player's career, how does that factor in? How about the situation each player is in? Does one situation call for the player to bootstrap and take charge? Does the other situation call for the player to grow as a complement? Both develop players differently.

The fact is, in the case that both players remain injury free, Ovechkin will always be 2 years older than Crosby. So when Ovechkin is 40, Crosby will be 38 - Ovechkin still is 2 years older.

My point?

Age is only useful for comparison
    . For example, will Crosby be a more complete player at 20 than Ovechkin was at the same age? In reality, or shall we say in terms of effectiveness, both players will grow together and the two year differential won't be a factor in who will become the better player.

8. Kaizer

Kaizer Registered User

Damn. Another 12 out of 15 :D

9. EroCaps

EroCaps Registered User

There's a whole thread on this.

10. Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil Magician

Crosby is younger and is close in points. IMO this shouldn't even be a debate un-less Ovechkin out-scores Crosby by a wide margin. And even then, Sid will out produce Ovechkin's 05-06 season next season. Ovechkin is great, Washington should feel blessed to have him, leave it at that. That said, Crosby will be greater and that's no shame to any player, the kid is just that damn good. Just feel blessed that we have 2 elite talents like this in the NHL to enjoy.

11. EagleBelfour

EagleBelfour Registered User

Home Page:
    Ovechkin is just easier to sell in the HF world .... Not even close in real life as Crosby sells MUCH, MUCH more.

12. Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil Magician

Crosby is very strong for his size, and another thing to remember is that Sid is only 18, and some people don't stop growing until 21. I'm not saying that he will grow, but it is a possibility. So never say never, at least until he's 21!!! :sarcasm:

13. Kaizer

Kaizer Registered User

crystall ball, oracle's advise, something else ?

14. xander

xander Registered User

Home Page:
    Oh I know he's strong for his size. Remember, I'm not calling Crosby soft at all, he's just never going to be Ovechkin physical.

As for growing untill he's 21, I hope that he has better luck than I did. I was 5'8" when I was 15 and I'm 5'8" now (I'm 21.) :madfire:

15. Rico Fatastic

Rico Fatastic Registered User

Magic 8-ball

16. stockwizard*

stockwizard* Guest

Physicality? Really?
    Does Ovechkin go into the corners and come out with the puck as regularly as Crosby?

17. xander

xander Registered User

Home Page:

I think the phrase I used was: brutal physicality. I'm not talking about going into corners here, I'm talking about being an intimidating physical pressance whenever your on the ice. Ovechkin has that, Crosby never will. Listen, I'm not calling Crosby soft, I think he has a good amount of 'chipyness' and that he's plenty physical for his size. But you can't argue that he's the wrecking ball that Ovechkin is.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  18. kingpest19

kingpest19 Registered User

I think when he speaks of physicality its more in the sense of laying a hit or playing the body. While he may not come out with the puck as much crosby he will go into corners and fight for the puck.

19. stockwizard*

stockwizard* Guest

Yeah, I agree. Ovechkin lays more open ice hits than Crosby.

When Crosby gets into his low crouch however and collides with someone, he can knock any player in the league on their ***, including 260 pound Hal Gill.

We all remember what happened when Ovechkin and Crosby collided in open ice at the world juniors.

Ovechkin was the one that went flying.

20. CarolinaCapsFan

CarolinaCapsFan Registered User

Educational Sales
    Blah Blah Blah

21. Jeff Goldblum

Jeff Goldblum Registered User

Home Page:
    Good point. But blah blah blah CLEARLY blah blah blah.

22. xander

xander Registered User

Home Page:
    what he's actually saying is: Bob Loblaw. :)

23. Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil Magician

Common sense, maybe you've heard of it???

24. Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil Magician

Everyone is different, some people (like Dennis Rodman) shot up at 21. So anything can happen. Jason Chimera is another guy who added 2-3 inches after his draft year. It could happen, but I couldn't say one way or another. I was 5-8 when I was 13 and then 6-1 when I was 14, and 6-6 when I was 15-16. It just depends, as everyone is different, genetics, etc.

25. reidy

reidy @reidjjackson

Advertising
    Home Page:
    You're 6'6?!

Wow.

Your name sounds a lot like Brian Boyle, too, the 6'6 center from Boston College / LA. Ha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.