Coaches,Gms, Crosby or Ovechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
I keep hearing interviews where coaches/GM's keep choosing Crosby over Ovechkin even with Ovechkin being better to this point of the season.

I see people whining that Ovechkin deserves to be the number 1 prospect right now and no matter what he wont be for whatever reason.

Well no matter if you are a Crosby lover or hater and there are plenty of both to go around.......Crosby has 2 years on Ovechkin and is NOT THAT FAR behind Ovechkin at this point.

This alone puts him as the number 1 prospect in my eyes........and from what I can tell around the NHL the eyes of the GM's and Coaches that get asked the question daily.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Bonzi said:
how do you know? maybe he won't grow up as a player in this two years?

He's actually grown up quite a bit in the last couple of months from what I have seen. Shows some reason for optimism about the next couple of years I would think.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
The thing is that Ovechkin has a facet to his game that Crosby will never have, no matter how much he develops in the next 2, 5, or 10 years. This of course is the brutal physicality that Ovechkin brings to the ice.

Now i'm not one of those people that think Crosby is a soft player, but he will never become the 6'2" wrecking ball that Ovechkin is. Crosby may be chippy, but Ovechkin is frightening, and that gulf can never be breached.

That being said, physicality isn't everything, and there are aspects to Crosby's game that Alex will probably never match (I like Ovechkin's passing skills, but I don't think he'll ever have the vision that Sidney does.) I think they will reach similiar levels of greatness, but they are, and will be, differant kinds of players. In the end it comes down to preferance, and I just love the way Ovechkin plays the game. I know that Crosby can never be that kind of player, regardless of how far behind he may be in development. Thus, if given a choicce between the two, I will always take Ovechkin.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Bob said:
It really depends from you're pov, wich one you choose.

If you're the owner of a team you'd probably choose Ovech 'cause he just seems alot easier to sell. Even if he's not from NA, all the fans get behind him because he hoozes so much charisma.

If you're a fan of any team it's pretty much the same, he's so spectacular on ice..

Now, if like you said, you're a coaches/GM's you'd probably choose Crosby 'cause you don't like Ovech getting all the attention.. no wait cause you think Crosby is a easier player to ''work with''.. Oh no wait it is because Crosby just may have more potenciel, yes. :D

ummmm . . . .

Overall, league attendance in up 3.8 per cent compared to October of the 2003-04 season.

Thanks in large part to the arrival of No. 1 overall pick Sidney Crosby, the Pittsburgh Penguins boasted the biggest increase at 31 per cent, followed by defending Stanley Cup-champion Tampa Bay Lightning at 26 per cent.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2005/11/01/Sports/nhl_attendance051101.html

Coming off a one-season lockout in which the league failed to play a single game, the Capitals have the fourth-worst record in the NHL and rank last in the league in attendance

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/20/AR2006012001832.html

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Bob said:
Bah! you make statistics say whatever you want. :sarcasm: :p:

Pittsburg is more of a hockey city that Washington will ever be. Swap Crosby and Ovech and I'm almost sure that Crosby wouldn't bring so many people in the stands to wath the caps neither.. And you've got to admit that at the beginnning of the season there was alot of hype on Crosby wich must of helped..

You had me with 'Pittsburg is more of a hockey city that Washington will ever be.'

I do not even care about the wrong spelling of Pittsburgh or even the further contents of the thread. That was music to hear.

afterhours

Jan 13, 2006
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Well no matter if you are a Crosby lover or hater and there are plenty of both to go around.......Crosby has 2 years on Ovechkin and is NOT THAT FAR behind Ovechkin at this point.

I personally don't like this argument because player progression doesn't necessarily grow linearly - also players' ability plateau (or flatten). There are so many factors that can either bridge the two or widen them farther. Injuries are often commonplace in a player's career, how does that factor in? How about the situation each player is in? Does one situation call for the player to bootstrap and take charge? Does the other situation call for the player to grow as a complement? Both develop players differently.

The fact is, in the case that both players remain injury free, Ovechkin will always be 2 years older than Crosby. So when Ovechkin is 40, Crosby will be 38 - Ovechkin still is 2 years older.

My point?

Age is only useful for comparison
. For example, will Crosby be a more complete player at 20 than Ovechkin was at the same age? In reality, or shall we say in terms of effectiveness, both players will grow together and the two year differential won't be a factor in who will become the better player.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
I keep hearing interviews where coaches/GM's keep choosing Crosby over Ovechkin even with Ovechkin being better to this point of the season.

I see people whining that Ovechkin deserves to be the number 1 prospect right now and no matter what he wont be for whatever reason.

This alone puts him as the number 1 prospect in my eyes........and from what I can tell around the NHL the eyes of the GM's and Coaches that get asked the question daily.

There's a whole thread on this.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Crosby is younger and is close in points. IMO this shouldn't even be a debate un-less Ovechkin out-scores Crosby by a wide margin. And even then, Sid will out produce Ovechkin's 05-06 season next season. Ovechkin is great, Washington should feel blessed to have him, leave it at that. That said, Crosby will be greater and that's no shame to any player, the kid is just that damn good. Just feel blessed that we have 2 elite talents like this in the NHL to enjoy.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Bob said:
It really depends from you're pov, wich one you choose.

If you're the owner of a team you'd probably choose Ovech 'cause he just seems alot easier to sell. Even if he's not from NA, all the fans get behind him because he hoozes so much charisma.

If you're a fan of any team it's pretty much the same, he's so spectacular on ice..

Now, if like you said, you're a coaches/GM's you'd probably choose Crosby 'cause you don't like Ovech getting all the attention.. no wait cause you think Crosby is a easier player to ''work with''.. Oh no wait it is because Crosby just may have more potenciel, yes. :D

Ovechkin is just easier to sell in the HF world .... Not even close in real life as Crosby sells MUCH, MUCH more.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
xander said:
The thing is that Ovechkin has a facet to his game that Crosby will never have, no matter how much he develops in the next 2, 5, or 10 years. This of course is the brutal physicality that Ovechkin brings to the ice.

Now i'm not one of those people that think Crosby is a soft player, but he will never become the 6'2" wrecking ball that Ovechkin is. Crosby may be chippy, but Ovechkin is frightening, and that gulf can never be breached.

Crosby is very strong for his size, and another thing to remember is that Sid is only 18, and some people don't stop growing until 21. I'm not saying that he will grow, but it is a possibility. So never say never, at least until he's 21!!! :sarcasm:

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
Bryanbryoil said:
Crosby is very strong for his size, and another thing to remember is that Sid is only 18, and some people don't stop growing until 21. I'm not saying that he will grow, but it is a possibility. So never say never, at least until he's 21!!! :sarcasm:

Oh I know he's strong for his size. Remember, I'm not calling Crosby soft at all, he's just never going to be Ovechkin physical.

As for growing untill he's 21, I hope that he has better luck than I did. I was 5'8" when I was 15 and I'm 5'8" now (I'm 21.) :madfire:

stockwizard*

xander said:

That being said, physicality isn't everything, and there are aspects to Crosby's game that Alex will probably never match (I like Ovechkin's passing skills, but I don't think he'll ever have the vision that Sidney does.) I think they will reach similiar levels of greatness, but they are, and will be, differant kinds of players. In the end it comes down to preferance, and I just love the way Ovechkin plays the game. I know that Crosby can never be that kind of player, regardless of how far behind he may be in development. Thus, if given a choicce between the two, I will always take Ovechkin.
Physicality? Really?
Does Ovechkin go into the corners and come out with the puck as regularly as Crosby?

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
wealthmanager said:
Physicality? Really?
Does Ovechkin go into the corners and come out with the puck as regularly as Crosby?

I think the phrase I used was: brutal physicality. I'm not talking about going into corners here, I'm talking about being an intimidating physical pressance whenever your on the ice. Ovechkin has that, Crosby never will. Listen, I'm not calling Crosby soft, I think he has a good amount of 'chipyness' and that he's plenty physical for his size. But you can't argue that he's the wrecking ball that Ovechkin is.

Last edited:

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
wealthmanager said:
Physicality? Really?
I think when he speaks of physicality its more in the sense of laying a hit or playing the body. While he may not come out with the puck as much crosby he will go into corners and fight for the puck.

stockwizard*

xander said:
I think the word phrase I used was: brutal physicality. I'm not talking about going into corners here, I'm talking about being an intimidating physical pressance whenever your on the ice. Ovechkin has that, Crosby never will. Listen, I'm not calling Crosby soft, I think he has a good amount of 'chipyness' and that he's plenty physical for his size. But you can't argue that he's the wrecking ball that Ovechkin is.
Yeah, I agree. Ovechkin lays more open ice hits than Crosby.

When Crosby gets into his low crouch however and collides with someone, he can knock any player in the league on their ***, including 260 pound Hal Gill.

We all remember what happened when Ovechkin and Crosby collided in open ice at the world juniors.

Ovechkin was the one that went flying.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
xander said:
Oh I know he's strong for his size. Remember, I'm not calling Crosby soft at all, he's just never going to be Ovechkin physical.

As for growing untill he's 21, I hope that he has better luck than I did. I was 5'8" when I was 15 and I'm 5'8" now (I'm 21.) :madfire:

Everyone is different, some people (like Dennis Rodman) shot up at 21. So anything can happen. Jason Chimera is another guy who added 2-3 inches after his draft year. It could happen, but I couldn't say one way or another. I was 5-8 when I was 13 and then 6-1 when I was 14, and 6-6 when I was 15-16. It just depends, as everyone is different, genetics, etc.

reidy

@reidjjackson
Bryanbryoil said:
Everyone is different, some people (like Dennis Rodman) shot up at 21. So anything can happen. Jason Chimera is another guy who added 2-3 inches after his draft year. It could happen, but I couldn't say one way or another. I was 5-8 when I was 13 and then 6-1 when I was 14, and 6-6 when I was 15-16. It just depends, as everyone is different, genetics, etc.

You're 6'6?!

Wow.

Your name sounds a lot like Brian Boyle, too, the 6'6 center from Boston College / LA. Ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->