Coaches from top college basketball programs arrested for fraud and corruption

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
vacating titles is so stupid.

It happened, we all know it happened, we all watched it happen. Stripping it from official records and making them take down the banner changes nothing.

I'm sure those kids aren't going to forget winning.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
vacating titles is so stupid.

It happened, we all know it happened, we all watched it happen. Stripping it from official records and making them take down the banner changes nothing.

I'm sure those kids aren't going to forget winning.

Its all the NCAA can really do tho. They can (and do) take away scholarships, give post season bans and all that but no of that is "flashy" stuff.

Kevin Ware put it simply -

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I think this was the first NCAA basketball title that was vacated.

They do it all the time in football. How many wins did Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden among others vacate?

Reggie Bush had to give back his Heisman, but we all know he won it. If he was an ineligble player why not retroactively award it to second place? I understand you can't really do that with a championship but no reason you can't for an individual award.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
They do it all the time in football. How many wins did Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden among others vacate?

Reggie Bush had to give back his Heisman, but we all know he won it. If he was an ineligble player why not retroactively award it to second place? I understand you can't really do that with a championship but no reason you can't for an individual award.

I was just saying just for informational purposes. I think it's dumb since we all saw it happen, but the NCAA is stupid.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Good Riddance. I didn't even see that in the original ESPN story from earlier. How big is this going to get? My buddy from Kansas mentioned that Ayton was a lock for Kansas but then went to UofA. Hrmmm, makes sense now.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Even Bilas is outraged at Arizona.

Though if NCAA rules are causing this sort of organized crime nonsense which the FBI has to throw taxpayer money at to investigate, we really can consider them a cancer on society.

I asked my brother earlier, and sorry if I don't know. But who funds the scholarships to athletes? I'm assuming it's the schools themselves. Where does the money the NCAA makes go to?

I'm not saying that they should pay athletes, but an honest question. With the money they make off of TV contracts for the college playoff for football, and NCAA tournament, where is the money spent?

I ask this because all of this is going to put more scrutiny into what the NCAA has done in the past.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I asked my brother earlier, and sorry if I don't know. But who funds the scholarships to athletes? I'm assuming it's the schools themselves. Where does the money the NCAA makes go to?

I'm not saying that they should pay athletes, but an honest question. With the money they make off of TV contracts for the college playoff for football, and NCAA tournament, where is the money spent?

I ask this because all of this is going to put more scrutiny into what the NCAA has done in the past.
Schools fund scholarships. I believe the money the ncaa makes is used to pay its execs and is distributed to schools

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Schools fund scholarships. I believe the money the ncaa makes is used to pay its execs and is distributed to schools

A lot of the money is kept in retainer for legal battles and the like. The money teams get for making tournaments/bowl games is usually covered by the TV deals/merchandise sales.

The issue is that their execs are paid handsomely and the NCAA is basically a racket. Scholarships are good, but if your a poor kid who grew up in absolute poverty, how are you going to say no to $100,000? Scholarships cover boarding, food and your program. If you want money for extra curricular's, you're screwed. You can't get a part time job because practice/games takes up any free time you have. So these athletes sometimes have no choice but to take some money and hope nobody finds out.

If the NCAA did something simple like raise the players weekly stipend they'd be ok. But when they make $35 off a $40 shirt with your name/likeness on it, why should you get $0 out of it. YOU are the reason why the shirt/jersey is selling.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm disgusted by Walton. He's proud of the way UofA has played tonight after all that has happened. Well yeah, they are still playing with their $100,000 man!

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
A lot of the money is kept in retainer for legal battles and the like. The money teams get for making tournaments/bowl games is usually covered by the TV deals/merchandise sales.

The issue is that their execs are paid handsomely and the NCAA is basically a racket. Scholarships are good, but if your a poor kid who grew up in absolute poverty, how are you going to say no to $100,000? Scholarships cover boarding, food and your program. If you want money for extra curricular's, you're screwed. You can't get a part time job because practice/games takes up any free time you have. So these athletes sometimes have no choice but to take some money and hope nobody finds out.

If the NCAA did something simple like raise the players weekly stipend they'd be ok. But when they make $35 off a $40 shirt with your name/likeness on it, why should you get $0 out of it. YOU are the reason why the shirt/jersey is selling.

I might be remembering wrong but I think the NCAA restricts (or at least attempted to) outside work, too. So it's not just a time crunch but a possible violation. There was a local (ohio) article a few years back talking about some student athletes who I think had to give up some pizza delivery jobs.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I might be remembering wrong but I think the NCAA restricts (or at least attempted to) outside work, too. So it's not just a time crunch but a possible violation. There was a local (ohio) article a few years back talking about some student athletes who I think had to give up some pizza delivery jobs.

Even worse.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Can only speak from my experience, but that isn't the case at the D3 level.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I don't think (from a legal standpoint) that they have any way of putting that restriction on a non-scholarship athlete though. Doesn't mean that coach will be cool with it either way, just that there's no way to stop it like there is when they're under scholarship. Of course I was a walk-on for one year in my sport and wasn't trying to hold down a job at the same time so I'm not 100% on that.

Last edited:

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Well, my guess is that the board didn't want to fire him in the possibility that it comes out down the road that nothing was done with the $100,000, and they could possibly get sued. Interested to see what comes of it, if anything.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Well, my guess is that the board didn't want to fire him in the possibility that it comes out down the road that nothing was done with the $100,000, and they could possibly get sued. Interested to see what comes of it, if anything.

They are going to pay him almost as much money to sit at home than to coach so may as well keep him around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad