Coach John Hynes Discussion

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've kind of changed my opinion on Nasreddine a bit.

I don't think he's good, but maybe he's not that bad either? The only thing I'd really rake him over the coals over is the fact that he might be the one that pushes for Andy Greene to still play so much. Maybe he's the one pushing hard for Greene to play a lot of the 3rd period when we have a lead to try and ''Shut it down''? If that's the case, I'd take a lot more issue with Nasreddine than I do right now.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I've kind of changed my opinion on Nasreddine a bit.

I don't think he's good, but maybe he's not that bad either? The only thing I'd really rake him over the coals over is the fact that he might be the one that pushes for Andy Greene to still play so much. Maybe he's the one pushing hard for Greene to play a lot of the 3rd period when we have a lead to try and ''Shut it down''? If that's the case, I'd take a lot more issue with Nasreddine than I do right now.

I think Sevs stagnating/regressing and Santini going from regular to AHL are strikes against Nas, but Mueller's development if it sticks can be a positive as is Butcher's rookie season. Vat's revival is a BIG positive.

I'm more hot and cold with Ward, lately it seems like the PP has been getting the job done for as ugly as it's been at times, and they have been middle of the pack most of the year. I still don't see the point of throwing a guy like Boyle out for a non-faceoff shift though, especially when Maroon and Wood can be the big bodies in front.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
"h8rs where u at"- hynes

Yep, no matter what anyone has said all season, hynes accomplished a pretty astonishing feat getting them to the playoffs, especially given the various injuries and that brutal schedule down the final stretch. I had my moments during january and february with hynes, but haven't rode him much at all since then. Guess you can say the same about the rest of the staff now that all is said and done?

Reactions: OmNomNom

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
Yep, no matter what anyone has said all season, hynes accomplished a pretty astonishing feat getting them to the playoffs, especially given the various injuries and that brutal schedule down the final stretch. I had my moments during january and february with hynes, but haven't rode him much at all since then. Guess you can say the same about the rest of the staff now that all is said and done?

no time to hate anyone. just hope hes turned a corner and he might have done just that. seen moves he wouldnt make earlier in the season and fire that he hadnt shown lately. fingers crossed.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
One thing I can say about Hynes that we couldn’t have said about Deboer is he seems to be completely ok with stepping on vets toes. I’m 100% fine with that. He’s been going with what works regardless of who is ineffective. I dig that. Deal with the reprocussions in the off season.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
One thing I can say about Hynes that we couldn’t have said about Deboer is he seems to be completely ok with stepping on vets toes. I’m 100% fine with that. He’s been going with what works regardless of who is ineffective. I dig that. Deal with the reprocussions in the off season.

Can't disagree with this and he essentially looks at everybody as equal which is something that can't be said for a lot of coaches no matter the sport.

His system may not be the most well put together, but the players respect him and at the end of the day, there is also something to be said for that as well.

Camille the Eel

Having the guts to go to Kinkaid totally after San Jose, in back to back games coming off a west coast swing, then still in more back to back games, no matter, staking all of the money on the roulette wheel on that Number 1, that's the call a coach gets paid for. He too stepped up to the big room, just like the team stepped up. Can't believe we went 8 - 0 - 1 down the stretch. Can't believe we HAD to go 8 - 0 - 1 to get here with one game in hand.

I think what Hall told the Edmonton press about talking to Hynes, where he hadn't wanted to talk to the coaches back in Edmonton before the trade . . . that also tells you one of the huge things he's done. It's hard to coach star players in sports these days, they get paid lots more than a coach does, how they play decides whether you continue to coach or get fired. What he's done with Hall is just extra fine.

Reactions: theoptimist

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He still has quite a few faults, but I think he's improving a bit. Perhaps it's the experience? Still does a lot of things that drive me nuts.

Like one person kept saying in the Jake Allen main board thread though, he had the balls to stop with Cory and go to Keith down the stretch, which is something Yeo refused to do with Allen, with their playoff lives right now on life support. Hynes did this when we were getting close to do or die (basically put a good run together or die), but not yet nearly life support.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He still has quite a few faults, but I think he's improving a bit. Perhaps it's the experience? Still does a lot of things that drive me nuts.

Like one person kept saying in the Jake Allen main board thread though, he had the balls to stop with Cory and go to Keith down the stretch, which is something Yeo refused to do with Allen, with their playoff lives right now on life support. Hynes did this when we were getting close to do or die (basically put a good run together or die), but not yet nearly life support.

I also made that comparison in one of my rare mainboard posts (think it was just a thread specifically complaining about the Blues-Chicago game though). More of a criticism of Yeo than anything IMO, cause at a certain point when you're in win-now mode you can't deny reality and have to go with the guy playing better. Hynes did this, but Yeo hasn't.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I also made that comparison in one of my rare mainboard posts (think it was just a thread specifically complaining about the Blues-Chicago game though). More of a criticism of Yeo than anything IMO, cause at a certain point when you're in win-now mode you can't deny reality and have to go with the guy playing better. Hynes did this, but Yeo hasn't.
That really tells you how dumb Yeo really is. Bad goaltending gets coaches fired and Hynes realizes that, but Yeo does not.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And Hynes also didn't let up for one second and played KK in back to backs too...as it turned out he really couldn't have let up for one second with how well these other teams have played, but he knew when to go to the whip hand.

Reactions: Bleedred

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
On March 9th we were at 76 points, 3 up on Florida who had 3 games in hand, 3 behind the Flyers, had lost 4 of 5 and this was our schedule

@ Nashville
@ Vegas
@ LA
@ Anaheim
@ San Jose
@ Pittsburgh
vs Tampa

5-2 through that gauntlet got us the playoffs, this team has some serious balls

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Ive always liked Hynes, he has got a clue on how to run this team. Thanks for doing so well. Not-so-big thanks goes to all the HF trolls and gremlins on this board who have bashed him in an out during the season.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Ive always liked Hynes, he has got a clue on how to run this team. Thanks for doing so well. Not-so-big thanks goes to all the HF trolls and gremlins on this board who have bashed him in an out during the season.

For a first time nhl head coach getting to the playoffs in year 3 when your team was expected to be a lottery team is damn impressive, especially when your #1 goalie didn’t win a game in 2018.

Every coach has flaws and makes some questionable decisions but some of the hate directed at Hynes here is just absurd.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
I’m coming around to him. He’s an okay coach. I think he’s learning a bit, himself. I didn’t much care for him even in the first year, but he’s done a commendable job this season.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
I’m coming around to him. He’s an okay coach. I think he’s learning a bit, himself. I didn’t much care for him even in the first year, but he’s done a commendable job this season.

One could always argue he finally took the reigns off Larsson and he finally blossomed playing a full season....which of course got us Hall ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->