Climbing out of the pit

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yeah, a new coaching staff gets more rope than one that's stagnated in suck for 5 years. What's new?
If we're still in Tippett level of competence in five years, I'll be calling for Tocchet's head, too. Not after three games like some of you.

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Our last 10 record is now 5-3-2. I know it's a big ask, and maybe we're overachieving now (hard as that is to believe) but maintain that for 50 more games and I'll be happy. 80 pts.

Thing is, couldn't help but think while I was sitting there Saturday night vs NJD that: *this* was the team we *thought* we were all getting this year...

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
We fired the players, we fired the coaches, and now we are watching the new plan unfold. Our last 10 is pretty good. The team looks better. Forget the stats for a minute, visually they look better. Then you can look at the stats and see that there is improvement.

I said we'd be a bottom 10 finish (around 7 or so) and based off the recent improvement that is still looking very likely.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Thing is, couldn't help but think while I was sitting there Saturday night vs NJD that: *this* was the team we *thought* we were all getting this year...

Yeah, same. For one brief, shining moment, the Coyotes were everything that people said they were going to be in the last off-season.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Yeah, same. For one brief, shining moment, the Coyotes were everything that people said they were going to be in the last off-season.
Yes, that game was a good encapsulation of some of the promise hoped for. Now, if they can keep having games like that semi consistently then I will be the happiest of campers.

Reactions: Yandover

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
My god Jake. Please stop obsessively licking DT's boots. You post stuff like this and I feel the need to respond. Then I'll get called out for continuing to bring up Tippett. If you want the haters to stop dragging him, please lead by example and show your fellow acolytes how to let go. Shhh...
Yea, what's with you and the Tippett thing anyway? Don't like the guy?:laugh:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Yeah, a new coaching staff gets more rope than one that's stagnated in suck for 5 years. What's new?
If we're still in Tippett level of competence in five years, I'll be calling for Tocchet's head, too. Not after three games like some of you.

Well, you can look back at my posts and know that I am not calling for Tocchet to be fired, just that there is a fairly large amount of bias against Tippett vs Tocchet. A streak of good games over the past 10 is no different than a streak of 10 good games that we saw with this same team last year, say from January 21st to Feb 14th, when we went 6-3-1. The point remains the same that we still have enough flaws to not be more than a below average to average (maybe slightly above average) team at this juncture.

It would almost be implied with the 5 years of suckitude (probably more like two years, to be honest) that in some way, if Tocchet were our coach given those rosters, we would have never had a 56 point season, and instead had a 70 point season. And the seasons that we were between 2 and 7 points from making the playoffs, we would have easily been in if Tocchet were in charge. I can't draw any conclusions that it would or would not happen, but given the way that we have played under Tocchet in a limited sample, it would appear that we would not have been in any better of a position, and likely a little worse.

Unfortunately, we have little to compare because the roster changed so drastically with draft picks finally having meaningful impact (again, can't stress how much of a difference getting a player like Dvorak and/or Perlini is when 4 years earlier, the comparative players in those selections were Phil Lane and Brandon Gormley). Neither Tippett nor Tocchet could wish upon a star to make players like Lane and Gormley live up to their draft value and potential.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Strome at center gets us to a point where we can put 4 quality lines on the ice. I think that's huge. When was the last time we could say that? Never? We might not have a #1 but we have 3 quality top sixers and Richardson is more than solid centering the 4th line. Throw in the talent at wing with two more guys in the AHL looking good and you have to be excited about the future. Tocc figuring his job out and getting the players to buy in is hopefully going in the right direction.

Reactions: Yandover and Mosby

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Strome at center gets us to a point where we can put 4 quality lines on the ice. I think that's huge. When was the last time we could say that? Never? We might not have a #1 but we have 3 quality top sixers and Richardson is more than solid centering the 4th line. Throw in the talent at wing with two more guys in the AHL looking good and you have to be excited about the future. Tocc figuring his job out and getting the players to buy in is hopefully going in the right direction.
Yeah as long as strome stays up rolling 3 more or less balanced scoring lines will be great.

Reactions: RemoAZ

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Rename the thread climbing out of the tipPit? :sarcasm:

Borrowing an idea from a fellow mod.... :naughty:

latest

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My god Jake. Please stop obsessively licking DT's boots. You post stuff like this and I feel the need to respond. Then I'll get called out for continuing to bring up Tippett. If you want the haters to stop dragging him, please lead by example and show your fellow acolytes how to let go. Shhh...

I was replying to Cobra's post. No one is making you read or reply to my posts. Del is the one that won't let it go, but of course he views DT the same as you. Shhh....

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I was replying to Cobra's post. No one is making you read or reply to my posts. Del is the one that won't let it go, but of course he views DT the same as you. Shhh....
Tip could take his new team to the cup final and Tocc could end up with 48 points and certain guys would still think it was a smart coaching change:)

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You're right. Even if both of those things happened, it was still the right move to fire him and move on.

Reactions: rt and Yandover

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->