Prospect Info: Cliff Pu (2016, 69th) – '18-19: Traded to Carolina

ADK

LETS GO BUFFALO!
Oct 3, 2017
Eastern NY
Always nice seeing a draft pick signed to an ELC. Personally I'm so exhausted seeing picks that never turn out the way I hoped so I try not to pay too much attention past the second round til they come up and play here. Hope he pans out for us we could use help on our bottom two lines.

snowshoes1818

Oct 19, 2014
That seems like an awful lot of money unless the kid is expected to come up and contribute right away. Maybe I'm way off, but was expecting 2nd rounders make quite a bit less than that on ELC.

You're way off. To put it in perspective, Devante Stephens' ELC is 743, and J Johansson is at 759. So Pu's figure is very much in line with other mid-round signees.

Remember, too, that these numbers only refer to what they get paid were they at the NHL level. All of these are two-way ELCs with substantially lower numbers at sub-NHL levels.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
What are the benefits of Buffalo signing Pu now..? Can he go to Rochester?
None, other than getting it out of the way. Pu also gets his ELC out of the way and receives a signing bonus in what should be a slide year. BUF needed to get him signed by June 1st or he would re-enter the draft. Pu can go to RCH or BUF at the conclusion of his OHL season.
That seems like an awful lot of money unless the kid is expected to come up and contribute right away. Maybe I'm way off, but was expecting 2nd rounders make quite a bit less than that on ELC.
Third-rounder and that's essentially the same ELC that Johansson signed. Did you expect him to get less than Cornel, Karabacek, Martin, or Stephens after his '16-17 year and '17-18 camp? His minors salary is the usual $70k and that's where he'll be for the bulk of that unless they rush him or he exceeds expectations. Quibbling over minutia here.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
You're way off. To put it in perspective, Devante Stephens' ELC is 743, and J Johansson is at 759. So Pu's figure is very much in line with other mid-round signees.

Remember, too, that these numbers only refer to what they get paid were they at the NHL level. All of these are two-way ELCs with substantially lower numbers at sub-NHL levels.

I think I was confusing the number given as his base salary no matter what. Just remember seeing elc numbers more in line with 5-600k NHL and 60-70k AHL. Didn't realize mid rounders were going for that much with top picks only getting 900k, but suppose thats what bonuses account for. Thanks.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Minimum salary is $650k now. It's been going up every other year on the current CBA. Meanwhile, the entry level max has been capped at $925k since 2011.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

2017 CIBC Canada-Russia Series Broadcast Schedule On Sportsnet.
All games available online via Sportsnet NOW

Thursday, November 9 - Russia @ OHL - 7:00 pm ET/4:00 PT - Sportsnet East - Ontario - Pacific - Sportsnet 360.

Monday, November 13 - Russia @ OHL - 7:00 pm ET/4:00 pm ET - Sportsnet East - Ontario - Pacific.

2017-2018 CHL Regular Season Broadcast Schedule On Sportsnet.

All games available online via Sportsnet NOW

Saturday, February 3 - CHL Saturday Showcase: London @ Sarnia - 3:30 pm ET/12:30 pm PT - Sportsnet.

LaxSabre - For Sabre Fans in the United States, NHL Network picks up the Sportsnet coverage of these games and depending on their schedule for the day, the games couid be televised LIVE. Otherwise the game will be televised later that day or the next day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad