Prospect Info: Clayton Phillips | Left Defenseman | Fargo (USHL) | 3nd round, 93rd overall

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
ToAgl88i_400x400.jpg

Clayton Phillips

Born: September 9, 1999 in Edina, Minnesota
Size: 5'11", 180 lbs
Shoots: Left

- fourth-youngest player in this year's draft class
- named to USHL All-Rookie Team for 2016-17 (7-13-20 with 35 PIM and a +18 in 56 games)
- represented Team USA at the 2016 Ivan Hlinka Memorial (winning Silver) and the 2016 World Junior A Challenge (winning Gold)
- committed to play at the University of Minnesota from 2018-19
- pre-draft rankings: 129 (Hockeyprospects), 131 (ISS Hockey), 93 (Future Considerations) and 99 (NHL Central Scouting, North American skaters)

From Randy Sexton, Penguins Director of Amateur Scouting:
“Clayton has some offense to his game, but again, highly mobile. He can really skate, he’s got terrific vision, a really solid puck-mover. Both Zach and Clayton will have more of an offensive role on their team next year, so we do expect to see their offensive production improve. But I would define them more as mobile, transitional, puck-moving defensemen.”

Profile from Future Considerations:
A skilled, smallish, two-way defenseman…displayed agility and speed, which allows him to react quickly to oppositions movements…makes good decisions with the puck, has good vision and sees the ice well…makes good outlet passes and has the vision and puck skills to create plays within the offensive zone…boasts a heavy point shot…despite not having a ton of muscle on his frame, he is still physical defensively and likes to use his body to remove players from the puck…is good at battling in the corners for loose pucks, as he wins a lot of battles…has a good defensive stick and does a good job at keeping the play out of the middle and away from net front…his defensive instincts are sharp, as he reads the play stepping up to intercept passes or knowing when to keep close or wide gaps…displays good defensive positional play in odd-man rushes…the University of Minnesota commit has some work to do physically but has offensive puck moving upside at the pro level. (February 2016)

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
For as nice as the scouting reports sound, his production at that level isn't inspiring. Just 17, though, so plenty of room to grow.

Definitely a project. He's Minnesota-bound...in 2018.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Project OFD, I'm fine with drafting this kind of guy with a 3rd round pick. The Penguins have been stockpiling D prospects in the last 2 years, I think Rutherford's strategy is basically draft as many as possible and hope 1 or 2 pan out.

In the last 2 years, the Penguins have added Prow, Bengtsson, Hall, Jones, Almari, Masonius, Lauzon and Phillips to their D prospect pool. If even 25% of those guys pan out, you're getting 2 NHLers.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The downside with him going back to the USHL is we'll lose his rights before he graduates college. So gotta hope he's ready after 3 years in the NCAA.

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
9/9/99 birthday... darn it, if history repeats itself, he's gonna want a 9.9 million contract :sarcasm:

But imagin if he was worth that after his entry level contract

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
I'm choked we missed Farrance by one freaking pick.. Hope this kid proves to me that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
9/9/99 birthday... darn it, if history repeats itself, he's gonna want a 9.9 million contract :sarcasm:

But imagin if he was worth that after his entry level contract

Well this seems like the first appearance of a draftee who could conceivably be my child. Not that I was getting laid much in high school.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
Well this seems like the first appearance of a draftee who could conceivably be my child. Not that I was getting laid much in high school.

9/9/99 was the first time I had enough of my own money to walk into the local game shop and buy a console on launch day. I still remember doing it and playing Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur that night with my friend.

Getting laid came after grade 9 (Which I was in at that point).

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
9/9/99 was the first time I had enough of my own money to walk into the local game shop and buy a console on launch day. I still remember doing it and playing Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur that night with my friend.

Getting laid came after grade 9 (Which I was in at that point).

Debut of the Dreamcast.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
After his junior year of college, he is free to go UFA. D usually stay at least three years at MN.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
The downside with him going back to the USHL is we'll lose his rights before he graduates college. So gotta hope he's ready after 3 years in the NCAA.
You can't lose a college player's rights so long as he's still playing college hockey. He can only become a free agent if he leaves school outright after his junior year, as in that scenario he would be four years post his draft year with no playing commitments or obligations elsewhere. But he doesn't automatically become a free agent in four years.

Take Nick D'Agostino from a few years ago. We drafted him out of Jr. A, he played one more year there then four full years of college before we signed him. We held his rights the entire time.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's years away, it rarely ever happens, and it sounds like he grew up a pretty big Penguins fan.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->