• Nico Hischier

Votes: 92 36.1%

• Total voters

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Marner
Keller
Hischier

Pretty clear Marner is on another level. It's between Keller and Nico for 2nd place.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
This poll is really unfair for Hischier.. "Now and moving forward.. When Marner is several years from his draft, more fair question would be "Now or moving forward"

Marner is most proven of them right now, but imo Hischier has highest ceiling.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I have Keller because I think that what he did up until this point is more impressive than what Marner had done a year ago. I also think that his overall skillset is wonderful.

IMO Hischier is quite a bit behind both.

Reactions: berylcx

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Marner, but Keller and Hischier have the potential to be just as good or better.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
After watching Hischier against the devils I get the impression he can play like Datsyuk if he develops right. Chose him for that reason. They're all going to be great scorers. Just think Hischier can have a bigger impact.

Reactions: TychoFan

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I have Keller because I think that what he did up until this point is more impressive than what Marner had done a year ago. I also think that his overall skillset is wonderful.

IMO Hischier is quite a bit behind both.
huh?

Marner is the only 18 year old player in the history of the CHL to win CHL Player of the Year, Memorial Cup MVP and his respective leagues playoff MVP. The only other person to do this was a 19 year old Brad Richards. Corey Perry won OHL MVP, OHL Playoff MVP, and Memorial Cup MVP but he was 19, and didn't win CHL player of the year. Marner is the only player outside of Tavares in recent memory to have consecutive 2ppg seasons in the OHL, although guys like McDavid, Kane, Gagner, and Joe Thornton could have done it but graduated (Tavares had a chance do it 3 times in a row but failed to in his draft year), Spezza and Savard failed to. He's one of 6 players to put up 2ppg as a 17 year old in the past 25 years alongside McDavid, Sam Gagner, Joe Thornton, John Tavares, Jason Spezza, and Marc Savard. Marner's 17 year old season is notably better than Keller's, was viewed at as a better prospect at the same draft age, and Marner's 18 year old season was equal or better than Keller's and that's only if you heavily weight a 7 game tournament and not their respective league play.

I don't know how you can say Keller is more accomplished at the same age. If he was, he would have won the Hobey Baker last year.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
After watching Hischier against the devils I get the impression he can play like Datsyuk if he develops right. Chose him for that reason. They're all going to be great scorers. Just think Hischier can have a bigger impact.

Hischier at the moment, quite frankly does not seem NHL ready. The Devils should send him back to junior for another year after 9 games or send him before 40 games so they burn an ELC year but it doesn't count toward UFA.

He clearly has talent but his body is not ready. He was getting manhandled against the Leafs and the Caps and those teams don't even play all that physically.

Reactions: TychoFan

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Hischier at the moment, quite frankly does not seem NHL ready. The Devils should send him back to junior for another year after 9 games or send him before 40 games so they burn an ELC year but it doesn't count toward UFA.

He clearly has talent but his body is not ready. He was getting manhandled against the Leafs and the Caps and those teams don't even play all that physically.
Only watched the Avs game but I was really impressed. Had some real slick hands and nice vision. Maybe the adrenaline has worn off now. Either way the way he played IMO showed what type of player he has a chance to grow into.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
huh?

Marner is the only 18 year old player in the history of the CHL to win CHL Player of the Year, Memorial Cup MVP and his respective leagues playoff MVP. The only other person to do this was a 19 year old Brad Richards. Corey Perry won OHL MVP, OHL Playoff MVP, and Memorial Cup MVP but he was 19, and didn't win CHL player of the year. Marner is the only player outside of Tavares in recent memory to have consecutive 2ppg seasons in the OHL, although guys like McDavid, Kane, Gagner, and Joe Thornton could have done it but graduated (Tavares had a chance do it 3 times in a row but failed to in his draft year), Spezza and Savard failed to. He's one of 6 players to put up 2ppg as a 17 year old in the past 25 years alongside McDavid, Sam Gagner, Joe Thornton, John Tavares, Jason Spezza, and Marc Savard. Marner's 17 year old season is notably better than Keller's, was viewed at as a better prospect at the same draft age, and Marner's 18 year old season was equal or better than Keller's and that's only if you heavily weight a 7 game tournament and not their respective league play.

I don't know how you can say Keller is more accomplished at the same age. If he was, he would have won the Hobey Baker last year.
Keller didn't play in OHL and I don't count junior accomplishments in general all that highly. However, he did score at a very good rate in WHCs against adults(Marner didn't even participate) and his u-20s was quite a bit more impressive as well - Apart from like one or two games Marner was relatively disappointing to me. Keller also did have a successful 3 game introduction to NHL(I know it's an essentially meaningless sample but better than nothing).

I hypothetically could say that "Keller would have done very well playing in by far the strongest team in OHL in 16-17" but that's beside the point already.

Reactions: berylcx

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I mean you have to be either a Devils fan, an Arizona fan or just anti Leaf because Marner is the only one with a proven track record so given that he is the only one with a proven track record there really is no reason to vote for anyone but Marner unless you are a devils or Arizona fan

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Keller didn't play in OHL and I don't count junior accomplishments in general all that highly. However, he did score at a very good rate in WHCs against adults(Marner didn't even participate) and his u-20s was quite a bit more impressive as well - Apart from like one or two games Marner was relatively disappointing to me. Keller also did have a successful 3 game introduction to NHL(I know it's an essentially meaningless sample but better than nothing).

I hypothetically could say that "Keller would have done very well playing in by far the strongest team in OHL in 16-17" but that's beside the point already.
Well that's ignorant, especially considering that the CHL produces by far the most NHLer's and high calibre players on the planet. I would also like to point out the irony in using Keller's WJC success as an argument later in the post, literally a "junior accomplishment" (your words not mine). Are we also just going to ignore Marner's beastly WC that he just put up as someone who turned 20 as the tournament was starting? What about his advantage of being proven?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Except Marner was the reason they were the strongest team in 2015-16, and destroyed the league as a 17 year old on an average team in 2014-15 (and would have had the highest ppg if it wasn't for someone named McDavid) . Marner couldn't play in the world championship because he was busy leading his team to the pinnacle of their league.

Fine, just discount junior accomplishments from a league that produces more NHLers than any other. Outside of Sam Gagner who played as Kane's winger, all of the players grouped in with Marner's accomplishments were elite players, while guys like Jaden Schwartz and Brock Boeser had better freshman seasons as 18 year olds in recent memory than Keller, on top of Eichel. Then there is Kyle Connor who had a better one as a D+1 (but was 19).

You could hypothetically, apply a bunch of statements, but Marner was viewed as a better prospect at the same ages. Look at the talent that rolled through the OHL in the past decade who didn't match what Marner, that includes names like Seguin, Hall, Scheifele, Duchene, etc.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd take Hischier, especially as a Center. But it's really hard to go against the star winger in Marner.

Reactions: Sasso09

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad