clay's final 2006 mock draft

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Jaded-Fan said:
I don't disagree that the Pens might take Toews. He certainly is in the mix along with Johnson, Kessel, Backstom and Staal. But the reasoning is iffy at best. Kessel by all accounts would be the most likely convert to wing of the bunch. How choosing 'another' franchise dynamic (your words, not mine, though I agree with them) FORWARD is a bad thing at all has me scratching my head. Out of the five Toews has me the least excited actually. He sounds like one of those who is a Jack of all Trades, good at everything, great at nothing. He certainly is reputed to have the least upside and by far the fewest natural gifts of any of those top five. The Pens certainly can afford to take a chance at dynamic instead of feeling the need to not chance missing with boring and 'good.'

I think that I disagree. He lead the U-17's and U-18's in points, right? He had pretty much the same PPG as Staal did in the OHL...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Mallard said:
I think that I disagree. He lead the U-17's and U-18's in points, right? He had pretty much the same PPG as Staal did in the OHL...

Pretty much everytime I have read anything on him it has said just that. A recent one of many similar examples:

Jonathan Toews -- Probably the least spectacular talent among the elite prospects, but perhaps the safest bet to be a reliable contributor in the NHL. He is 6 foot 1-1/2, 195 pounds, plays a solid two-way game and put up 21 goals and 17 assists in 41 games as a freshman at North Dakota. Toews has been praised for his unselfish style, work ethic and ability to bring out the best in his teammates.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06160/696731-125.stm

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Mallard said:

I agree. To say that Toews has no upside is quite ignorant. He is a fantastic leader, with a lot of tools that go unnoticed.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Toews reminds me of a PRIME Trevor Linden. A great leader, and a warrior. He should be good for a PPG+ while playing a COMPLETE game.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Russian_fanatic said:
Toews reminds me of a PRIME Trevor Linden. A great leader, and a warrior. He should be good for a PPG+ while playing a COMPLETE game.

Yes, but I believe Toews definately possesses more potential than Linden had.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
clay said:
8) :coyotes CHRIS SUMMERS

The first shocker of the draft, Summers has the most versatility of anyone in the draft. He is an extremely quick skater, and can be played reliably on defense and on forward.

Blake Wheeler was an "off the board pick". However, Sjostrom, Kories, Eager, and Hanzal were not. They all went within a few spots of where they were projected to go. So, with their last five first round selection, the Coyotes have made one "suprise" pick. I just don't see what the big deal is. Why does everyone seem to have Phoenix slated as the team most likely to select a three-legged, female goat, with swollen anal glands, in the first round? Maybe they'll shock us all and just take whoever falls to them, at eight, out of Johnson, Kessel, Toews, Backstrom, Staal, Mueller, Brassard, and Okposo. Or perhaps Tlusty or Little. I think those are the picks that would actually make sense.

wetcoastwhale

Aug 12, 2005
SA
clay said:

Don't be hating Trevor: he had a bunch of 30+ goal seasons, was the face of a franchise for many years, represented Canada at the Olympics, was the captain of a team within a couple goals of the stanley cup. just because he didn't put up similar numbers as modano and has had a few indifferent years, that doesn't mean he was chopped liver. I think most teams would take a player that would guarantee similar results.

wetcoastwhale

Aug 12, 2005
SA
rt said:
Why does everyone seem to have Phoenix slated as the team most likely to select a three-legged, female goat, with swollen anal glands, in the first round?

ewe, that's disgusting. :biglaugh:

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
clay said:

Coming out of junior Linden was supposed to be a franchise player. Toews has the same potential that Linden had which is to be the next Iginla.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
jin said:
Coming out of junior Linden was supposed to be a franchise player. Toews has the same potential that Linden had which is to be the next Iginla.

I don't think Linden, in his draft year, was ever compared to 8 or 9-year-old Iginla. Maybe you know something we don't. :sarcasm:

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
clay said:
19) :ducks RIKU HELENIUS

The Ducks are in desperate need of depth at the goaltending position, and if they adressed it, it seems they would have a complete prospect pool. Helenius is a very big, agile goalie who likes to challenge the shooter.

I'm sure you are aware that the Ducks signed David McKee of Cornell a couple of months ago. Doesn't he at least have the potential to be a No. 1 goalie in the NHL?

I believe the Ducks failed to sign Bouthillette---sorry if I mangled the spelling---by June 1st, so he's no longer their property. But they did manage to "steal" J.P. LaVasseur in the 7th Round last year, whom Kyle Woodlief thought was the top goalie in the entire 2005 draft. Do you not like him, either?

Helenius may be "the real deal". I just get a little nervous anytime you use a first round pick on a goalie. (I'm not saying I wouldn't have taken Luongo . . . :)

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
boredmale said:
I have a feeling after the consensus top 5(Johnson, Kessel, Toews, Backstrom and Staal) being picked in the top 5 or 6 spots, this draft will get wierd fast as well.

There is no consensus anything in this draft...

Erik Johnson is as close to one as there could be, but the other 3 aren't consensus, especially Backstrom.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Kick Save said:
I'm sure you are aware that the Ducks signed David McKee of Cornell a couple of months ago. Doesn't he at least have the potential to be a No. 1 goalie in the NHL?

I believe the Ducks failed to sign Bouthillette---sorry if I mangled the spelling---by June 1st, so he's no longer their property. But they did manage to "steal" J.P. LaVasseur in the 7th Round last year, whom Kyle Woodlief thought was the top goalie in the entire 2005 draft. Do you not like him, either?

Helenius may be "the real deal". I just get a little nervous anytime you use a first round pick on a goalie. (I'm not saying I wouldn't have taken Luongo . . . :)

I believe that drafting Helenius is the best move possible for the Ducks. He definately has great potential, and would, like I said, solidify Anahaeim as having the best prospect pool in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad