Claude Provost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
How come this guy isn't in the HOF (or is he)? I know he didn't score many goals or anything like that, but the guy has 9 Stanley Cups...I think that has to count for something. Besides, from what I've read about him, he was a very important role player.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
He wasn't great. He just was in the right place at the right time. Provost was no better than Claude Lemieux or John Tonelli.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Yeah he was just once a first team all-star in '65. He put up pretty good numbers and combine that with 9 Cups its a pretty good career. But that's just it, it was good, not great. Maybe throw iun a major award and he's in but it just wasnt there. He won those five Cups in a row with MTL from '56-60. On that team was Richard, H. Richard, Beliveau, Geffrion, Moore, Harvey, Plante etc. Then he won four Cups in the 60s in '65, '66, '68 '69. But that team as well had Hall of Famers who were better than Provost. He's close, mainly because of the nine Cups though.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
He was a terrific shadow, wonderful checking winger responsible for the Golden Jet among others. Not worthy on the HOF, but on a team that had a rw who the coach didn't trust ("Yvan Cournoyer can't check his hat") he was a valuable piece.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
If you ask people what they remember about Claude Provost, they'll say that he was the 'shadow' of Bobby Hull. And Provost did help shut Hull down in the 1965 finals. Provost had a great offensive year that led to his All-Star selection but he was mostly a solid two-way winger who probably could have shown more of his offensive skills given the chance. In his early years with Montreal, with right wingers Geoffrion and Richard on the 1st and 2nd lines, Provost wasn't going to see much power play action.

A little inside info here: There was a group that had pushed for nomination for Claude Provost for entry into the HHOF a few years ago . It got nowhere because the member of the selection committee who was approached to endorse the nomination did not agree with it. And that member was a Montreal based member of the committee. (I was surprised a bit by that response).

Without a 'veteran's' category, I doubt Provost will make the HHOF.

Lowetide said:
He was a terrific shadow, wonderful checking winger responsible for the Golden Jet among others. Not worthy on the HOF, but on a team that had a rw who the coach didn't trust ("Yvan Cournoyer can't check his hat") he was a valuable piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->