Claude Lemieux v. Scott Stevens HHOF?

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Scouts drool over "The Next Scott Stevens"

nobody is thinking about spending a top 5 pick on "The Next Claude Lemieux"

It's a shame. I'd rather dress Claude Lemieux than (insert 95% of top 5 picks here) come playoff time.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This thread sickens me.

Scott Stevens is the best defensemen I have had the privledge to watch.......Even after living in Boston from 1992 to 1997.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
It's a shame. I'd rather dress Claude Lemieux than (insert 95% of top 5 picks here) come playoff time.
Absolutely!

Lady Byngs and Rocket Richards mean squat.

The season begins in April.

You can keep the Datsuyks, Selannes, Thorntons.
Give me a Tikkanen, Drury or Claude Lemieux any day of the week and twice on HNIC.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I think Claude is getting underrated here as a REGULAR season preformer. He is a former 40 goal scorer, and if he had scored 1 more goal in 95-96 he hits 40 again. In his prime Claude was good for 30 goals, and 60 points which is not bad. Claude's best year was 30 goals and 51 assists for 81 points(in 77 games), and it was a terrific year.

Claude=Most underrated player in NHL history, regular season wise. One of the best playoff preformers you'll find too.

Deleted member 3032

Of all the unintentional humor that appears on HF, nothing brings a smile to one's face quicker than to read Scott Stevens being decried as a dirty headhunter. :biglaugh:

This thread is amusing.

Stevens definitely belongs in the HHOF, imo. He was an excellent player.

While I agree with a lot of what you say Trottier, I disagree here. While Stevens was a great player, he was a headhunter. Maybe not to the level of some other players, but he did try to hit player's heads with his shoulder. He didn't care if he injured players (which can be also noted from some of his interviews I've seen). Frankly, I don't see much difference between getting hit in the head with a shoulder or with an elbow. It's just easier to elbow someone than to hit 'em with a shoulder. I'm personally surprised, and happy, that Stevens didn't cause any serious permenant damage to someone.

He knew he was going to utterly crush his target on at least some of his more notable hits. It isn't like he did it once or twice where he got a little "excited".

Don't bother telling me I should go watch another sport (I like physical play) or that the players should play a different sport if they don't want to get hurt. That's like saying what Bertuzzi did was "just hockey". He over stepped the boundaries, just like I think Stevens overstepped them too. Bertuzzi's attack would've been considered simply dirty, goonish hockey in the 60s or 70s instead of being labelled as assault. What is acceptable changes, and imo how Stevens hit players shouldn't be acceptable.

As a note: I am not comparing Bertuzzi's incident with Stevens' hits, so lets not open that can of worms. ;)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think Claude is getting underrated here as a REGULAR season preformer. He is a former 40 goal scorer, and if he had scored 1 more goal in 95-96 he hits 40 again. In his prime Claude was good for 30 goals, and 60 points which is not bad. Claude's best year was 30 goals and 51 assists for 81 points(in 77 games), and it was a terrific year.

Claude=Most underrated player in NHL history, regular season wise. One of the best playoff preformers you'll find too.

To tell you ther truth Claude Lemieux's playoff PPG is at 0.67. Yeah he had about 3 or 4 playoffs where he delivered like say '86, '95 even '97. So I'll give him that. But he had just as many playoffs (even in his prime) where he came up short. '89 might be one to think about. Lemieux was too streaky. And its not like he had great regular season numbers either. He never had that one season where you said Wow!

This is something people forget. In game 3 of the '96 World Cup with Canada holding a 2-1 lead with four minutes left in the game Lemieux gets a 2 on 1 with Adam Graves. Only Brian Leetch is back. Lemieux has all the time in the world and I dont blame him for not passing but he fans on the shot. Not even getting any wood on it and it trickles towards Richter. Watch the clip. Then the next shift Lemieux is still on the ice and Hull scores the tying goal. Amonte gete the winner and the USA wins. This was one year after his '95 Conn Smythe Trophy win. Now I know I'm nitpicking this could have even happened to Mario, but it shows you that even times when he came up big for his team he also choked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->