Claude Lemieux = HHOF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Mothra said:
sorry....but I have to go out on a limb here and guess you never watched Phil Esposito play

No, I started watching hockey in the 80's as a kid, but, I do remember seeing Lemieux play, and people talking about how he was making a mockery of the game. I know that diving was a part of the game before, but, from everything that I could gather, he was stretching the limits of what was acceptable moreso than anyone else before him.

I very well could be wrong, but, that's how I interpreted things watching hockey. It wouldn't be the first time that broadcasters blow things out of proportion, but, as someone who grew up watching him, from what we heard, he was a notch below committing war crimes. :sarcasm:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ogopogo said:
Actually, Forsberg has accomplished enough, when healthy, to be in the Hall. Lindros has not.

It all depends on who we're comparing them to. I agree that Lindros shouldn't be in the Hall, but if you compare him to Neely it isn't close.

Lindros was significantly better than Neely.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Dr Love said:
14. What impact did the player have on hockey history? Was he responsible for any rule changes? Did he introduce any new equipment? Did he change the game in any way?

His hit on Kris Draper ignited the fiercest rivalry in hockey in the late 90s.

Comments, corrections and constructive critism are always welcomed.

The hit on Draper only ignited an intense hatred for Lemieux in the heart of every Detroit player and fan. That score was settled by McCarty in grand fashion in the regular season the next year. End of story.

The rivalry goes on long after Lemieux, and (sadly) McCarty. The rivalry is based on two very similar, very good teams battling it out on the ice. as they always have. The rivalry is what's good about hockey. What Lemieux did to Draper had nothing to do with the rivalry, it was the gutless act of one man, and it is everything bad about hockey. The last thing we should do is reward that kind of behaviour by putting Lemieux in the Hall of Fame.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
John Flyers Fan said:
It all depends on who we're comparing them to. I agree that Lindros shouldn't be in the Hall, but if you compare him to Neely it isn't close.

Lindros was significantly better than Neely.

Amen to that. It's like the Lindros argument exists in two different worlds. He's been significantly better than a number of guys already in the hall, as well as Pavel Bure who most seemed to want in there judging by the recent thread on the NHL Talk board. And who knows...it looks like he's back with something to prove this season

lemieux32*

five4fighting said:
The hit on Draper only ignited an intense hatred for Lemieux in the heart of every Detroit player and fan. That score was settled by McCarty in grand fashion in the regular season the next year. End of story.

The rivalry goes on long after Lemieux, and (sadly) McCarty. The rivalry is based on two very similar, very good teams battling it out on the ice. as they always have. The rivalry is what's good about hockey. What Lemieux did to Draper had nothing to do with the rivalry, it was the gutless act of one man, and it is everything bad about hockey. The last thing we should do is reward that kind of behaviour by putting Lemieux in the Hall of Fame.

While the hit by Lemieux was not clean it was not the horror some people make it out to be. If it had occured on a section of the boards where there was glass there would have been no injuries to Draper (talk about gutless punks, Draper is at the top of the list). I find it interesting that McCarty settled the score by jumping someone and smashing his face into the boards. A lot of class by McCarty. Of course the Lemieux haters fail to mention that Lemieux came back and said let's go at the opening faceoff of a subsequent and the two had a good fight. Convenient memories some people have.

Transported Upstater

lemieux32 said:
It's funny how many of the No responses are totally based on "cheap shots" or being a pest or things like that. I'm glad you guys aren't HOF voters or a lot of great players (ask anyone about Howe and cheap shots) would never get in.

In that note, I agree with you. That hit certainly shouldn't have any bearing.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
TransportedUpstater said:
In that note, I agree with you. That hit certainly shouldn't have any bearing.

Eddie Shore ended one time NHL scoring leader Ace Bailey's career and Bailey had done nothing to him. Shore still made it to the Hall.

Transported Upstater

Chili said:
Eddie Shore ended one time NHL scoring leader Ace Bailey's career and Bailey had done nothing to him. Shore still made it to the Hall.

Exactly.

Although Shore was an AMAZING player...it has always been difficult for a defenseman to win the MVP, and he did it several times. He was far, FAR better than many of the guys in the Hall now.

Boston's top 3 all-time defensemen are Orr, Shore and Bourque...Not many teams can compete with that... :eek:

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
IMO...

Based on merit...winning championships and being a key contributor in the process...ABSOLUTELY!

How has Lemieux contributed over the years "off the ice"? We don't seem to hear about this.

If the HHOF admission process is, in effect, a 'popularity contest', he unfortunately doesn't have a sniff...

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
lemieux32 said:
While the hit by Lemieux was not clean it was not the horror some people make it out to be. If it had occured on a section of the boards where there was glass there would have been no injuries to Draper
I recall one highlight showing a more dangerous looking hit earlier in the week by Eric Lindros SQUARE from behind rather than on an ANGLE like Lemieux's hit. The Draper injury was more unfortunate than reflective of the hit.

Lemieux came back and said let's go at the opening faceoff of a subsequent and the two had a good fight. Convenient memories some people have.
Yes, I call it THE DON CHERRY EFFECT. That man is as myopic as they come and he kept making his biased rants after rants after rants about Claude. It's amazing how much he stirred the pot on the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad