Claude Julien - What is the plan with our Roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
You don't get anything about what I am saying because your hate for Bergevin clouds your judgment
Why does being critical on this team's makeup and moves automatically get tied to 'hate for Bergevin' as if that's the reason for the criticism.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Yearly typical injuries Does Not = Major long term injuries to several key players. Using stats in seasons like this for any team to insist they suck is cherry picking big time IMO. The 2015-2016 season was not a typical injury season most teams encounter year to year. Therefore, I believe it is not fair to use this season to evaluate our team.

Nah that's not how it works in reality.

Predators losing Johansen and Fiala in the playoffs sucked, but if they were better than the Penguins (who were missing Letang), they would have beat them in a seven game series. They didn't. They weren't good enough. How did Nashville respond? They added two centres for depth.

Habs lost Price and Gallagher for a while and the team tanked the season. How did they respond? Uh... Andrew Shaw? Alex Radulov for a rental? Shea Weber replacing PK Subban?

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Why does being critical on this team's makeup and moves automatically get tied to 'hate for Bergevin' as if that's the reason for the criticism.
Hey, that was me, and I flat out admit I hate the man's guts. I disliked him prior to 6-29-16, but I've despised him since. I could list the reasons but I don't care to any more. The man's putrid body of work over his term of employment is reason enough (give the likes of W7 & WTK credit; they saw through his snake oil a lot sooner than most of the rest of us did), combined with his continued undeserved employment at the hands of an empty suit of an owner.

It is to weep, what this franchise once was, versus what it has become.

Reactions: King In Glory

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nah that's not how it works in reality.

Predators losing Johansen and Fiala in the playoffs sucked, but if they were better than the Penguins (who were missing Letang), they would have beat them in a seven game series. They didn't. They weren't good enough. How did Nashville respond? They added two centres for depth.

Habs lost Price and Gallagher for a while and the team tanked the season. How did they respond? Uh... Andrew Shaw? Alex Radulov for a rental? Shea Weber replacing PK Subban?

Comparing the Habs who are not playoff contenders to the Preds who are. While also trying to compare playoff injuries vs season ending injuries that happened way back early in the season. This is very sound reasoning you bring forward here man I tell yeah. How about you talk about the injury to Stamkos and what that meant for the Lightning last year? Wouldn't that be a better comparison?

- Habs lost Price who is our best player and played the most important position for us. He only played 12 games FFS!
- Gallagher who was our spark plug and arguably our most important forward (yeah we don't have many) went down at a very key point in the season.
- The other injuries we had that year fall into your "typical yearly injuries" that most teams have.

It was a mess of a season all around and it did not represent what kind of team we had IMO. But hey, it perfect for you to use in your negative propaganda so don't let me stop you.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You can't say you look at the negative when the conclusion is that the GM isn't responsible for the current state of the team.

It's like if I said:

Jim has stolen millions and murdered dozens of people but he also treats his kitty nice, while always paying his taxes on time. Jim is not a bad guy.

I can say you look at it negatively because you say we had 3 poor seasons in a row. Last season was not a poor season and this season is not even over yet. While the 2015-2016 season was not a healthy season to several key players. This is clearly negative propaganda. But hey, you are going to use this against me later and say that I said we had a great team... you will insist that I said that because you and others have already tried it several times.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Comparing the Habs who are not playoff contenders to the Preds who are. While also trying to compare playoff injuries vs season ending injuries that happened way back early in the season. This is very sound reasoning you bring forward here man I tell yeah. How about you talk about the injury to Stamkos and what that meant for the Lightning last year? Wouldn't that be a better comparison?

- Habs lost Price who is our best player and played the most important position for us. He only played 12 games FFS!
- Gallagher who was our spark plug and arguably our most important forward (yeah we don't have many) went down at a very key point in the season.
- The other injuries we had that year fall into your "typical yearly injuries" that most teams have.

It was a mess of a season all around and it did not represent what kind of team we had IMO. But hey, it perfect for you to use in your negative propaganda so don't let me stop you.

I know negative propaganda is your new catchphrase and all, but I don't need to use anything when you do it yourself.

Preds are a playoff contender but the Habs are not? After 16-17 where the Habs led their division and Nashville squeaked into 8th? So despite all these injuries, a healthy Habs doesn't compare to a playoff slip in playoff contending Nashville? Say no more.

Reactions: Habs178

Jul 6, 2016
This team is badly built and un-exciting to watch.

On paper, they have pretty good NHL players, but on the ice, it doesn't show. Bad mix ? Bad coaching ?

I dunno in which extent this team would be better with Subban, Radulov and Sergachev.... But it would be 100% more exciting to watch and root for.

All MB had to do after the non-Playoffs season 2015-16 was to fire MT and hunt for a real centerman.... He destroyed the whole left side of his D and gave the moon to Price.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
This team is badly built and un-exciting to watch.

On paper, they have pretty good NHL players, but on the ice, it doesn't show. Bad mix ? Bad coaching ?

I dunno in which extent this team would be with Subban, Radulov and Sergachev.... But it would be 100% more exciting to watch and root for.
Only players that make the Habs worth watching is Drouin and Galchenyuk. Too bad Julien absolutely despises Galchenyuk and Drouin is struggling big time. I do love me some Daniel Carr though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I know negative propaganda is your new catchphrase and all, but I don't need to use anything when you do it yourself.

Preds are a playoff contender but the Habs are not? After 16-17 where the Habs led their division and Nashville squeaked into 8th? So despite all these injuries, a healthy Habs doesn't compare to a playoff slip in playoff contending Nashville? Say no more.

2015-2016: Bad season all around with injuries to several key players. I do not believe its fair to use this season in evaluating our team's success. This is cherry picking at it's best!

2016-2017: A very good regular season with failed success in the playoffs while we outplayed the Rangers. It happens and we were unlikely to go on a deep playoff run with that roster anyways. This does not classify as a poor season IMO.

2017-2018: A very poor season so far.. yes indeed!

Congratulations... I agree with your 31 game sample size! My apologies if you don't like my catch phrase. It does fit though ;)

Jul 6, 2016
Only players that make the Habs worth watching is Drouin and Galchenyuk. Too bad Julien absolutely despises Galchenyuk and Drouin is struggling big time. I do love me some Daniel Carr though.

For the sake of it, Drouin should play LW and there is nothing to lose to play Galchy again at centre. Carr looks good on a bottom line vs weaker opponents. Keep him there. Having a productive 4th line is useful. Now, it's time for the other lines to follow the example.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I feel we are going to struggle against teams with solid depth on D due to too many small and/or soft forwards. Drouin, Galchenyuk, Pleky, Hudon, Lehkonen, Byron, Patch. That is 7 of our top 9 forwards that are either too small or too soft. Some more than the others but you get the point (I hope).

We need more power forwards to compliment the limited talent we do have. Center depth and grit are our biggest issues up front.

Jul 6, 2016
2015-2016: Bad season all around with injuries to several key players. I do not believe its fair to use this season in evaluating our team's success. This is cherry picking at it's best!

2016-2017: A very good regular season with failed success in the playoffs while we outplayed the Rangers. It happens and we were unlikely to go on a deep playoff run with that roster anyways. This does not classify as a poor season IMO.

Congratulations... I agree with your 31 game sample size! My apologies if you don't like my catch phrase. It does fit though ;)

It's like the last three games.

Vs St-Louis: they competed well and even tied the game before losing it. They were deserving to go )T-So and get at least one point.

Vs Calgary.... Should had won it... Two more points.

Vs Edmonton... No excuses to not show up... Especially Carey Price.

Jul 6, 2016
I feel we are going to struggle against teams with solid depth on D due to too many small and/or soft forwards. Drouin, Galchenyuk, Pleky, Hudon, Lehkonen, Byron, Patch. That is 7 of our top 9 forwards that are either too small or too soft. Some more than the others but you get the point (I hope).

We need more power forwards to compliment the limited talent we do have. Center depth and grit are our biggest issues up front.

Totally agree with you. Not a lack of heart, but a serious lack of size.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's like the last three games.

Vs St-Louis: they competed well and even tied the game before losing it. They were deserving to go )T-So and get at least one point.

Vs Calgary.... Should had won it... Two more points.

Vs Edmonton... No excuses to not show up... Especially Carey Price.

We are a middle of the pack team. It's going to be a very frustrating season with lots of ups and downs. I think we have a very small chance at making the playoffs. In order to reach 94 pts, we have to go 32-19-0. Even if we magically pull this off, do we have the roster to go on a deep playoff run? Nope! Should we trade draft picks to improve our team for a deep playoff run? I say no! Only guy that helps us is Tavares in a sign and trade and that is a massive trade depleting our assets even further. How are we going to add to our roster with no cap space and limited prospects?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
This is a Claude Julien thread. There already is a Marc Bergevin thread. Please try to stay on topic.

I've cleaned up the last 2 pages of posts that were deemed inflammatory & off topic.

Reactions: Habs178

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton

I don't think its cherry picking stats using 3 past/current seasons should average the team out. Team is average at best and trending downwards.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
From 2015 to right now we are 17th for points. 5 points behind 15th place (Boston) and 2 points in front of 18th place (Florida). That's not a small sample size. And that's definitely not very good.

Since 2015 we are 20th in GF/GP. 22nd in PP%. 18th in PK%. 12th in SA/GP. 18th in Points%. 14th in GA/GP. 11th in SF/GP. I personally suspect lot of perimeter shots which teams are not defending against.

Anyone who think this is good need to check the definition of good in the dictionary.

[edit] sorry had some columns wrong i double checked and it's now accurate

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think its cherry picking stats using 3 past/current seasons should average the team out. Team is average at best and trending downwards.

Average the team our when our MVP played 12 games in one season? It’s silly to use that season just like using last season for the lightning

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
WTF is Claude doing? This coach is terrible. He makes MT look like a good coach FFS. One year in his 5 years contract and already want him gone. Damn I hate this management and coaching staff

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I wonder if Claude wishes he had stayed on the couch a little longer, getting paid for doing nothing, and taken time to weigh his options.

I know he is getting huge money and I don’t have sympathy for him, but I think he thought he was taking over a much stronger team.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I wonder if Claude wishes he had stayed on the couch a little longer, getting paid for doing nothing, and taken time to weigh his options.

I know he is getting huge money and I don’t have sympathy for him, but I think he thought he was taking over a much stronger team.
Naw, he just thought MB had a brain. Boy, I'd like to have been a fly on the wall after CJ signed his contract and had his first briefing with MB.

Aside from that, Julien appears to be unable to harness the talent of offensive players. In Boston it was Seguin and Kessel. In Montreal it's Drouin, Chucky and the Patch.

CrewkHead

Oct 25, 2006
Why the hell is joe morrow still remotely close to this team? It shouldnt even be a possibility at this point. Play freaking Jerabek stupid donkey! Im really starting to think there is a russian factor with claude

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I really liked Claude his first time around. Thought he got unjustly fired the first time around. But that was 12 years ago and it seems like those 9 years spent in Boston has really changed him. He’s trying to coach this team like we’re the Boston Bruins and he doesn’t have the tools within this roster to have the success he did the years he had players like Kreiji, Bergeron, Chara, among many others filling important roles. I said I wouldn’t judge him until I’ve seen a full year. His weaknesses were showing near the end of his tenure with Boston and they’re creeping in here.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Horrible line combinations on the top two lines is the main reason they're so unsuccessful.

He finally united Gallagher and Pacioretty. But I would put Danault between them - or Danault between Pacioretty and Drouin (Drouin in Radulov's spot from last year).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad