Claude Julien - What is the plan with our Roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
don't agree with that one bit......i see no improvement whatsoever,

CJ is at best an equal of MT.....MT is no worse then CJ

in hindsight i think Boucher would have been best

All three are varying degrees of trash.

Why are we recycling the same couple guys?

What happened to finding and developing the best coaches?

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
MT had better result with almost the same team than Julian, don't tell how 1 or 2 player make such a drastic change. The core is the same, its the same Goalie that you all called the Savior and all victory of the last 5 years are 100% on Price. So no excuse for Julien. I've always said than MT system always help goalie alot. Also recently Mike Yeo praised MT and he's sure he's gonna get a job soon. He must be a ****** too, by defending one of the worst human being of the history. I mean he's only a coach of bad team right ? How does he know Therrien, maybe cause he as with him during 7 years with the Pens and he said good thing about him... Jeez how ****** can you be right ?

I hope Julien gonna prove me wrong, but right now I was way more impressed when MT coached us.

1 or 2 players?? Are you real? The defense corps is almost completely different, no Radu, and on top of that a goaltender that if was starting his career the way he had played this year he would be down in the AHL. Mitchell gone, DLR in, Hudon, etc.

Jul 6, 2016
Then hire the smartest young coaches in Quebec and groom them.

Instead we got Sylvain Lefebvre coaching the AHL team for a half decade.

Ducharme who is caching the National Junior Team would had been a good choice. Same with Groulx who is coaching the TB, AHL team.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Ducharme who is caching the National Junior Team would had been a good choice. Same with Groulx who is coaching the TB, AHL team.

The last guy the Habs technically developed was Gerard Gallant. None of the other assistant coaches will become a head coach, unless Muller tries for a job again.

None of the AHL or ECHL guys seem like they have potential. Anyone consider Colin Chaulk a potential NHL coach? AHL coach even? Why aren't these teams utilized to finding the best in Quebec and set them up for future success?

Pressure to win fools people in thinking we have a short window to win and therefore we need a proven NHL coach.

Pittsburgh won back to back Cups with a rookie/sophomore coach. That should have erased the silly idea that only a proven NHL coach can take you to the Cup in today's game.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pittsburgh won back to back Cups with a rookie/sophomore coach. That should have erased the silly idea that only a proven NHL coach can take you to the Cup in today's game.

Pens can win with pretty much any coach with the offensive fire power they have. I agree with what you said... I just gave you the answer to your question.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
actual Habs GM does not believe in "windows", said so himself.

Some teams have legit windows to win but The Habs did not. I recall many people upset that we didn't go all in last trade deadline. That Window to win debate has be squashed pretty bad. I said it back when that it was 5 years (+/-) and I still think it's 5 years ish. All depends on who Price and Weber are when they reach 35 but it don't mean they are done completely. I think we can turn our team around but we need to take a few step back this year. Our age 18-25 core can be improved and they can be lead by Price and Weber over the next 5 years. We need to go with a younger roster now though and test these kids while they learn on the job.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Some teams have legit windows to win but The Habs did not. I recall many people upset that we didn't go all in last trade deadline. That Window to win debate has be squashed pretty bad. I said it back when that it was 5 years (+/-) and I still think it's 5 years ish. All depends on who Price and Weber are when they reach 35 but it don't mean they are done completely. I think we can turn our team around but we need to take a few step back this year. Our age 18-25 core can be improved and they can be lead by Price and Weber over the next 5 years. We need to go with a younger roster now though and test these kids while they learn on the job.
yet in your previous post YOU bring up the "window to win" thing...

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
BTW it makes me laugh to read that we never had a window. The distance some people are willing to travel to defend MB is astonishing. It's becoming more and more like the Houle years. People defended Houle like if he was their own child.

WTF is a windows if we did not have one???

Top goalie? check
Top dman? check
Top quality 2nd dman? ****** check Markov would have been a number 1 in over half the other teams
Good 2nd line center? check
Top quality winger? check
Good 3rd line center? check

First center? we had a 3rd overall pick to fill this need. No center was available? Then draft the bpa and trade him for one. Drafting a winger and doing **** with that 3rd overall pick and hope DD somehow became a first line center was by far the most ridiculous thing i've even seen a GM does in Montreal. It even beat the Roy trade in my book.

MB is a failure. Refusing to admit it wont change that fact. Cause unless he can somehow grab Tavares for now much at this point it's pretty much a fact.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
The window was 2013-14 to 2015-16.

13-14 we made it to the ECF and knew we could get further.
14-15 Bergevin did next to nothing to improve the club except trade for Jeff Petry and the team got beat by a better Lightning team.
15-16 Bergevin did even less by making Alex Semin his big signing and the club went from the hottest club early on to going into a nosedive.

I'd like to think 2016-17 continued the window but by that point a lot of good development years on young players and sweet priced contracts went to waste. Adding Radulov was a step in the right direction but it lasted for only one season.

Had the club made significant trades to improve in the summer of 2014 and 2015, they could have got closer to the Cup again and known exactly what they needed to go over the top. Instead, David Desharnais continued to be a top six centre, Markov got older with no adequate replacement, the top spot on the right wing continued to be a revolving door, and Bergevin spent more time acquiring fourth liners and reserve defencemen than any other GM in the league.

That's why the window was closed by the summer of 2016. If the team did get better in 2016-17 and closer to a Stanley Cup final birth, they no longer had the time on those great contracts and young players in their early 20s to make it happen. 16-17 and 17-18 are no different to 11-12 and 12-13 for the Vancouver Canucks, with less to show for it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
yet in your previous post YOU bring up the "window to win" thing...

Correct. If you recall all the things I said correctly, I said I did not believe the Habs had a Window to win when this was a debate last season. Some other teams do. Until we are able to acquire a proven top 2 center and minimize the amount of small soft forwards, we are not going to be even close to cup contenders. Time will tell if we can accomplished this with our current GM or a New one.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The window was 2013-14 to 2015-16.

13-14 we made it to the ECF and knew we could get further.
14-15 Bergevin did next to nothing to improve the club except trade for Jeff Petry and the team got beat by a better Lightning team.
15-16 Bergevin did even less by making Alex Semin his big signing and the club went from the hottest club early on to going into a nosedive.

I'd like to think 2016-17 continued the window but by that point a lot of good development years on young players and sweet priced contracts went to waste. Adding Radulov was a step in the right direction but it lasted for only one season.

Had the club made significant trades to improve in the summer of 2014 and 2015, they could have got closer to the Cup again and known exactly what they needed to go over the top. Instead, David Desharnais continued to be a top six centre, Markov got older with no adequate replacement, the top spot on the right wing continued to be a revolving door, and Bergevin spent more time acquiring fourth liners and reserve defencemen than any other GM in the league.

That's why the window was closed by the summer of 2016. If the team did get better in 2016-17 and closer to a Stanley Cup final birth, they no longer had the time on those great contracts and young players in their early 20s to make it happen. 16-17 and 17-18 are no different to 11-12 and 12-13 for the Vancouver Canucks, with less to show for it.

I agree that we had a solid team back in 2013-2014. However, we had no prospects to make our team or trade them to acquire the missing pieces we needed at that point in time. Beaulieu made our team as a regular but Tinordi and Leblanc became disappointments. Improving your team through free agency and trades is possible but not very probable at the exact time you need those additions. Especially when you need top 2 centers, the majority of your forward group is soft, and you don't have much to trade for an upgrade.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Another 25 years? Come on man! That is extreme negative propaganda at it's best.

If someone told you that the Habs would not have been past the ECF even once after winning the Cup in '93, 25 years ago would you have called that extreme negative Propaganda too? Yet here we are, no Cup in 25 years. Didn't take long for Houle to completely destroy a Cup contending team, took more than a decade to recover from that. Same thing we are seeing with Bergevin. How long do you think it will take to recover from a team loaded with veterans singed to monstrous contracts until they are 40?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If someone told you that the Habs would not have been past the ECF even once after winning the Cup in '93, 25 years ago would you have called that extreme negative Propaganda too? Yet here we are, no Cup in 25 years. Didn't take long for Houle to completely destroy a Cup contending team, took more than a decade to recover from that. Same thing we are seeing with Bergevin. How long do you think it will take to recover from a team loaded with veterans singed to monstrous contracts until they are 40?

The Past Does Not = The Future.

If someone told you we would not win a cup in the next 50 years back in 94, would you believe them?

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
The Past Does Not = The Future.

If someone told you we would not win a cup in the next 50 years back in 94, would you believe them?

You're wrong. While the past certainly does not equal the future, it is an indicator of where the future is headed, especially if where you are in the present is because of the decisions you have made in the past and if you make those same decisions then expect to be in the same place in the future. If the decisions you have made in the past have led you to be successful then expect to be successful, if the decisions you have made int he past have led you to failure then expect to fail unless things change.

Would I have believed that the Habs would not win a Cup within 50 years back in 94? No, yet that's looking like a possibility. We are already halfway there.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have not won a Cup in 50 years despite being the RICHEST team in the league, being an original six team and not having to deal with language restrictions.

Last edited:
Reactions: optimus2861

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
The plan should be:

Pacioretty Danault Gallagher/Lehkonen
Byron Drouin Galchenyuk
Hudon Plekanec Gallagher/Lehkonen
Carr De la Rose Scherbak
Deslaurier Froese Shaw

Ultimately we have too many wingers. It would be nice to trade 3 of them to a team that is looking for wingers and has an extra center, like Edmonton

To Edmonton: Pacioretty, + 2 of Lehkonen, Scherbak, Hudon, Byron, Shaw, McCarron
or Pacioretty + 1st (top 10 protected) + 1 of Lehkonen, Scherbak, Hudon, Byron, Shaw, McCarron

To Montreal: Draisaitl

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
You're wrong. While the past certainly does not equal the future, it is an indicator of where the future is headed, especially if where you are in the present is because of the decisions you have made in the past and if you make those same decisions then expect to be in the same place in the future. If the decisions you have made in the past have led you to be successful then expect to be successful, if the decisions you have made int he past have led you to failure then expect to fail unless things change.

Would I have believed that the Habs would not win a Cup within 50 years back in 94? No, yet that's looking like a possibility. We are already halfway there.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have not won a Cup in 50 years despite being the RICHEST team in the league, being an original six team and not having to deal with language restrictions.

Of course its a possibility Bryson because you have no way of seeing into the future. It's always a possibility.

What a well thought out essay you posted.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Now I get it; you're Bart Simpson, sitting in the corner at Kamp Krusty, in deep denial, steadfastly repeating, "Krusty will come. Krusty will come. Krusty will come."

One thing that helps this analogy is that Bergevin certainly is a clown.

You don't get anything about what I am saying because your hate for Bergevin clouds your judgment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->