Claude Julien, Marc Bergevin incredibly Pigheaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Listening to McGuire on TSN690 and he makes it sound like being an NHL GM is easy and he has all the answers on what to do and what not to do. Amazing that this man with all the answers about running and building an NHL team can't find a job doing so. :sarcasm:

I like listening to Pierre but sometimes he really does come off as being really full of himself.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Rod Francis just said on TSN690 with Ray Ferraro that the Habs have used 17 players down the middle this season. Is that even accurate? They're talking about Galchenyuk not being used at center and Ferraro doesn't understand the pigheadedness and stubbornness from the Habs to not even give him another legit shot at center.

It's simple math, which all or most of us here have long figured out. It's an act of face-saving from the GM.

How does the GM, who already got burned with quotes about how this year's D is better than last season's, backtrack from this:

Bergevin appeared to hammer the final nail into the coffin on that discussion over the summer when he announced, “I’ve seen Alex every day, and at this time, centerman is a tough position, demanding, and I’m sure as we speak today Alex is not able to play that position every day. And I don’t need 10 more tries. I know he’s not.”

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
You trade our pathetic captain for a #2 center and a A prospect. You sign a UFA center like Stastny for 2 years and ACTUALLY start developing real top 6 centers like Poeling and hopefully Evans. Then you take at least 2 of our 4 second round picks to draft BY POSITION which is CENTER.
You really believe that Stastny will sign for only 2 years? The Habs will have to overpay any UFA they sign in both money and term so if it's Stastny you want, you'd better want him for a minimum of 5 years at big money or he's not signing.

Reactions: Peanut and Runner77

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Listening to McGuire on TSN690 and he makes it sound like being an NHL GM is easy and he has all the answers on what to do and what not to do. Amazing that this man with all the answers about running and building an NHL team can't find a job doing so. :sarcasm:

I like listening to Pierre but sometimes he really does come off as being really full of himself.

Pierre is a smart and knowledgeable broadcaster but he really does seem to always be compensating for some unknown confidence issue. Ergo the unceasing personal anecdotes meant to impress.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Pierre McGuire just said the pool as been poisoned on Galchenyuk being used at center and at this point it just seems like it's a we'll show you type thing with this player being a winger and not a center.

I agree with Pierre on this and it does seem like an ego thing at this point from Habs management and probably also from Julien. I'm sure many others here agree with McGuire as well.

Pierre said he slept with the cup after winning it and Melnick asked him if he spooned the cup. The stuff you hear on sports radio. :)

Reactions: Andrei79

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
It's simple math, which all or most of us here have long figured out. It's an act of face-saving from the GM.

How does the GM, who already got burned with quotes about how this year's D is better than last season's, backtrack from this:

Bergevin appeared to hammer the final nail into the coffin on that discussion over the summer when he announced, “I’ve seen Alex every day, and at this time, centerman is a tough position, demanding, and I’m sure as we speak today Alex is not able to play that position every day. And I don’t need 10 more tries. I know he’s not.”

McGuire pretty much just said it's an ego thing with not playing Galchenyuk at center to prove some type of point.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I don't think it's an indication of anything other than a public persona he's built that fits his resume as an outspoken broadcaster. If he were to transition into employment with an NHL team, he'd tone down in a hurry. Speaking in the bold manner he does is appealing to an audience.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You really believe that Stastny will sign for only 2 years? The Habs will have to overpay any UFA they sign in both money and term so if it's Stastny you want, you'd better want him for a minimum of 5 years at big money or he's not signing.

Never going to happen. Any agent who advocates a short contract for a 32-year old, should be banned from the profession forever.

This is his best chance to cash in on what should be his last big contract as an NHL player -- no way does he settle for 2 years, not for a guy playing a position in high demand like he does.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I just listened to Gagnon's TSN680 segment from this morning and this might be the first time I've ever listened to a Francois Gagnon TSN690 segment with Marinaro and not said "shut the hell up Francois." The guy made some very good points today IMO. He pointed out that he thinks the Habs played too many pre season games and should play 4 instead of 7 and his reasoning made sense to me.

He said the Habs only played 7 pre season games so that they could make more money since they aren't paying the players so Julien wasn't properly preparing his team. He also brought up Galchenyuk at wing but I didn't really agree with him there since I still believe Galchenyuk should be a center.

Anyway decent segment from Gagnon today IMO. Here's the link to the audio if anyone wants a listen.
Gagnon: Galchenyuk's future is at the wing

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
When I look at Galchenyuk's strenghts: shooting, puck handling and passing, I see nothing that makes me believe he can use these tools better at center than wing (or vice versa for that matter). Many east/west type wingers use these tools to create chances from anywhere once they cross the blue line. The last few games show this. If he can play like this over a full season he'll get excellent point totals.

As for stats, since two years ago when he fined tuned his shot (his greatest strength now), I bet there's not much difference when you somehow factor in health, quality of teammates, usage etc. For example, playing heavily sheltered minutes with Pacioretty and Radulov is not the same as playing less sheltered minutes with De La Rose and Lehkonen.

There is more to the game then point totals. Peak Desharnais had some excellent point streaks, yet we all know it was a bad idea to use him as a top 2 center, especially in the playoffs, due to his own massive flaws.

When I look at good teams around the league for the past few years, I don't see any that use a player with poor skating/hockey IQ as their top 2 center. The reason is simple. Centers need to cover more surface area and the surface area they cover is more critical. To cover adequately more surface area it's better if you're a good skater and/or if you are good at reading the play; the objective being to be in the right position. Galchenyuk scores poorly in those facets of the game, unfortunately. I wish he didn't because it would solve a big problem with the team but he is what he is.

Finally, yes, the Habs offense is not good as it is and clearly needs an upgrade.
Or in other words ignore all evidence.

Reactions: Andrei79

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
tried at wings with DD, meh
tried at wings with Plekanec, meh
playing wings with Drouin, meh
and now playing wings with the fabulous DLR...

but yeah, he doesnt fit with the preconceived notion of how a C should play, so better keep him where he's less productive.

Have are even better playing 20 pts forward Arturi Lehkonen just as much if not more than AG...
Not like we didn't see this show last time around with Eller being moved to the wing. And here we are again. It makes no sense.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
So McGuire backed up what the entire fanbase (minus 3) have been screaming for most of the season.

Yeah I said the same thing as you after Pierre in a roundabout way hinted that's how it kinda looks to him with what's happening with Galchenyuk after drafting him as a center. Shortsighted and very stupid from the Habs but that seems like the norm from this organization lately.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Is Bergevin narcissistic enough to keep Galch this summer just to avoid losing face in case he blossoms as a C elsewhere? :laugh:

Reactions: groovejuice

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I told you I don't believe he's more productive at C vs W when you consider the context in which he accumulated stats at either position. Moreover, I believe he should be equally productive at all 3 forward position because of the nature of his skillset.

Hockey IQ is to me is the natural ability to read plays develop, be sound positionally and quick to react.

In my mind Galchenyuk is best suited at wing so I have no problem with the coach using him at wing. DLR is best suited at center so I'm ok with the coach using him at center. DLR is obviously not a top 2 center but then again no one truly is on this team.
HE IS, stop looking for excuses.

you may think he should be all you want, but HE IS NOT.

Sure, for the exact reason I mentionned in another post, you have a preconceived notion of what a winger should look like and what a C should look like. NONE of the C the Habs have have a good hockey IQ based on your definistion.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
The same "he doesn't have the IQ to be a centre" crap was said about Tyler Seguin.

For Bruins and Tyler Seguin, three is enough - The Boston Globe

But here’s the thing about Seguin: The Bruins stopped believing he could be a bona fide NHL No. 1 pivot. They began to wonder if he had the toughness and temerity and hockey IQ to play effectively among the top six forwards in their north-south, tough-to-play-against, “Bruins style” of hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad