Claude Giroux II: Robin's Revenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
...The Flyers haven't be in the second round of the playoffs since 2012 and since that year...3 years they never even made the post season!
With all the talk of the weak goalie situation,the Flyers are 25th in goals for the last four seasons,so the offense has been underachieving miserably...
So for the next five years,16.5 million cap space for G and Voracek for paltry numbers!

Unless I'm seriously reading that incorrectly, the highlighted part is not true.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, I wouldn't say "paltry" numbers.
The last two years, they've averaged
Voracek 13-22 35 ES, 58 points overall
Giroux 12-20 32 ES, 63 points overall

If they were paid $6M a year instead of $8.25M, no one would be complaining. So while they're overpaid, it's not a gross overpay.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Unless I'm seriously reading that incorrectly, the highlighted part is not true.

I assume he means three years total, not in a row.

2016-2017 missed the playoffs
2015-2016 made the playoffs
2014-2015 missed the playoffs
2013-2014 made the playoffs
2012-2013 missed the playoffs
2011-2012 made the playoffs

Although he's not making any sense in general, so maybe I'm being too kind in my assumption.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

If they were paid $6M a year instead of $8.25M, no one would be complaining. So while they're overpaid, it's not a gross overpay.

Especially when a 60 point guy just signed a 8 million dollar deal. And 52 point Kopitar got 10 million. And 58 point Toews got 10.5.

We know G and Jake are overpaid. The also know that they got those contracts based off of being underpaid for years. They are also our top scorers still. Rather overpay our top guys by 1 million than waste money on guys like AMac.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016

Voracek and Giroux are coming off a couple of average years at best and Giroux's production has regressed over the last few years consistently. Giroux is coming off a 14 goal season and Voracek is only one year removed from an 11 goal season. They are paid like top stars and hopefully will produce like ones this year. Giroux at one time was a top 5-6 forward In NHL so his contract made sense. He is just physically slowing down especially 5 on 5 last year. Voracek has had really one elite season. He is the one that needs to step up and play at an all-star level. His play is just too uninspired sometimes.... it will be interesting to see what kind of shape he comes into camp this year. That's been an issue at times for him both here and in Columbus.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Giroux is untradeable, we can afford him, and he has a role where he can be productive as he ages (PP captain). He won't be worth his contract, but he won't be MacDonald or Vinnie, either.

Hextall traded Schenn, I can see him trading Voracek if some kids emerge and Voracek doesn't bounce back, even taking on a couple million of salary to sweeten the deal. Voracek wasn't injured, just brain dead last year. Put him with Couts, see if he can't turn it around, then think about trades next summer. Voracek has the physical skills to excel, but wasn't defensively responsible and really needs to be shooting wrist shots for a couple hours a day until he at least can become average.

I agree with this...Voracek is the guys who needs to produce and could be moved. Now the "Couts" homage is something I do not necessarily agree with. But this is the "Couts" site and I know you guys adore him. Voracek needs to step up... I do not want these young kids being influenced by his sometimes lazy approach.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I agree with this...Voracek is the guys who needs to produce and could be moved. Now the "Couts" homage is something I do not necessarily agree with. But this is the "Couts" site and I know you guys adore him. Voracek needs to step up... I do not want these young kids being influenced by his sometimes lazy approach.

It's funny to see a guy who is supposed to know about hockey, not see how valuable Couts is. Led the team in 5vs5 points and goals all while out scoring other teams top lines. What more do you want?

Oh I know, you want more points. Well that comes from the PP and we know our 2nd unit has been awful. That's the only area where Couts has not been able to carry others. He does it at ES. He does it on the PK.

But you know all this. You just choose to ignore it. Maybe you should stick to other outlets instead of this Couts site so you can have dumb fans believe the garbage you spew.

Reactions: Rebels57

Daveyyaunce

Jun 23, 2017
Philadelphia
People have different opinions...deal with it. He has never scored 40 points nor has the skills to play on the power play. He is a good hockey player. I do not think he is great as you guys think. I am not going to kiss your *****...sorry. I have my opinions and they are shared by a lot of other Flyers fans. I do not think Couturier is an impact hockey player like Giroux was at his height. I think he is a good complimentary player. Simple as that..... if you disagree than so be it.

A lot of those "Flyers fans" are provincial homers who know very little about the nuances of the actual sport.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I moved the Couturier discussion to the proper location. We can now continue the Giroux version of that awful Philadelphia tradition of hating all our best players across all sports.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I moved the Couturier discussion to the proper location. We can now continue the Giroux version of that awful Philadelphia tradition of hating all our best players across all sports.

That's it... Go ahead and putz with my mind... delete/move Posts during my mid-navigation... make me think I've finally gone completely insane as your ****in' with the Pages confuses the **** out of me!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Yeah I was about to say that a norm doesnt necessarily make it right, but considering the sarcasm emoticon and the general attitude of that guy.. I say **** it

Hey, I'm with you on this, My Friend. :nod:

I was just yanking your chain a little.

Sometimes I have to double check I'm in the correct Thread when I read the current flows... At times I honestly forget the Thread Topic... Yep, being the norm doesn't make it right... And rarely do the Mods reel it in... If they did every time, they would have no time for a real life. ;)

EDIT: ... But I digress. haha

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How does Jeff Carter compare to G?

If it helps..

Carter finished 10th in Hart voting 1 year as a Flyer and had 0 top 10 point seasons.

Giroux finished top 5 in Hart voting twice and has 3 top 10 scoring seasons, 2 of which were top 5.

Playoff production is not even close, Giroux blows Carter away.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
If it helps..

Carter finished 10th in Hart voting 1 year as a Flyer and had 0 top 10 point seasons.

Giroux finished top 5 in Hart voting twice and has 3 top 10 scoring seasons, 2 of which were top 5.

Playoff production is not even close, Giroux blows Carter away.

Can you imagine if G had same tools?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Giroux is just on a different level, career wise, than Carter.

He's 10th in all time Flyer scoring, and it's very possible (barring far more serious injury problems or a trade) he ends up 4th all time in total points.

He's also 4th in assists, could be 2nd by end of contract.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Giroux is just on a different level, career wise, than Carter.

He's 10th in all time Flyer scoring, and it's very possible (barring far more serious injury problems or a trade) he ends up 4th all time in total points.

He's also 4th in assists, could be 2nd by end of contract.

I saw him doing one legged box jumps on internet so hopefully he has really good offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->