Classic Wrestling Discussion (as in non-current): Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
For a non-wrestling segment. I think the Warrior/Rick Rude pose down at the 90 Royal Rumble is a fantastic segment.

Heenan trying to work the crowd while still being a heel. Rude doing all the professional prep work with his flexy bar, while Warrior is just a big idiot with his poses.

Rude and Bobby just do so many great little heel things to get heat. Love it.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
For a non-wrestling segment. I think the Warrior/Rick Rude pose down at the 90 Royal Rumble is a fantastic segment.

Heenan trying to work the crowd while still being a heel. Rude doing all the professional prep work with his flexy bar, while Warrior is just a big idiot with his poses.

Rude and Bobby just do so many great little heel things to get heat. Love it.

Rick Rude and Bobby Heenan were awesome. One of my top ten favourite wrestlers and possibly the best manager of all time. Their non-wrestling segments were probably more entertaining than the matches. Even outside of WWF it worked. Rick Rude and Bobby Heenan on Regis and Kathie Lee was gold.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Just finished Survivor Series 1999. While the whole Austin issue was dumb, the facial reaction by both Hunter and the Rock when Big Show's music hit was just great. Still think they should have gone with Test instead though, it was the hot story, and I wonder if his nose wasn't broken if that was their original plan.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Just watched the classic Raw clip where The Rock comes out to "eulogize" Stone Cold, only to have SCSA show up and flatten The Rock's Lincoln car and then the hearse with that huge monster truck and reclaim his Smoking Skull belt. :yo:

The pops back that Austin got back then...my god. I'm grateful to have been a fan during that time.

Reactions: Loosie

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I've said it before from 97-99 during the height of the Attitude Era the WWF was smart and many times it seemed they were at a University/College in the states. Nothing got the drunken students to pop like Austin.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Stone Cold was absolutely awesome wasn't he? His run from Wrestlemania 13 to Survivor Series 1999 is quite good. His 1998 might be one of the best years for any wrestler ever.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
What's the deal with these "retro" Austin 3:16 shirts on the WWE store??

Stone Cold Steve Austin 3:16 Retro T-Shirt

13342.jpg

Why doesn't the skull on the back have the blue smoke coming out of the eyes like how the original Austin 3:16 shirts did??

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Watched a random smackdown flashback on the network and was surprised to see Benoit a part of it

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
What would you guys say are the best 5-10 matches in the career of the awesome Chris Jericho?

Going on a Jericho binge at some point this weekend, want to make sure I get some input.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Some of the usual matches:

vs HHH at Fully Loaded 2000
vs Benoit at Royal Rumble 2001
with Benoit vs Austin and HHH on Raw in 2001
with Benoit vs Duley Boyz vs Hardy Boyz vs Edge & Christian on Smackdown in 2001
vs The Rock at No Mercy 2001
vs Michaels at 'Mania 2003
vs Michaels at No Mercy 2008
vs Mysterio at The Bash 2009
vs CM Punk at Payback 2013

Reactions: Belieber

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
In addition to those listed, and I particularly recommend the 2001 ladder match against Benoit, you may want to take a look at WCW Jericho just for some variety. Anything against Malenko, or my favourite WCW Jericho match from Bash at the Beach against Ultimo Dragon.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
In addition to those listed, and I particularly recommend the 2001 ladder match against Benoit, you may want to take a look at WCW Jericho just for some variety. Anything against Malenko, or my favourite WCW Jericho match from Bash at the Beach against Ultimo Dragon.

The network freaks me out because i'll be watching WCW Jericho stuff, and his WWF theme pops on.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The network freaks me out because i'll be watching WCW Jericho stuff, and his WWF theme pops on.

That's weird, it would throw me off a bit. My experience with the network is limited. The Ultimo Dragon (my favourite WCW wrestler at the time) match I honestly have not seen since watching it live on PPV at a friend's house in 1997.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Some of the usual matches:

vs HHH at Fully Loaded 2000
vs Benoit at Royal Rumble 2001
with Benoit vs Austin and HHH on Raw in 2001
with Benoit vs Duley Boyz vs Hardy Boyz vs Edge & Christian on Smackdown in 2001
vs The Rock at No Mercy 2001
vs Michaels at 'Mania 2003
vs Michaels at No Mercy 2008
vs Mysterio at The Bash 2009
vs CM Punk at Payback 2013

What about from the 90's? Is there anything from his WCW time that is worth watching? I think I've seen most of his promos from that era, I loved Ralphus!

And anything with RVD, Edge, Angle, Booker t?

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The thing about him in WCW is he was never really in a position to have great matches due to how he was kept down along with all the other non-Hogan guys. So while he had a bunch of good matches with all the guys you'd expect (Malenko, Ultimo Dragon, Juventud, Eddie, Mysterio, Benoit, and so on) I don't think he really had a great match. Obviously his promos and everything were top notch once he found his character, but unfortunately he was never pushed as far as he should have been until he left.

For some more matches, this link has a lot of them. The match guide for wrestlers on that site is really good for finding matches to watch of a particular guy, or the show of a match you know was good already.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Probably because he killed his family and WWE for a while were editing him out of things. Not sure what it's like on the network though.
They've not edited him out of anything. Everything is on the Network, it's just not got the markers on the show timelines to jump directly to his matches (instead you have look at the timeline and aim for the giant gap between matches) and they don't list him search results.

Obviously they don't talk about him in new stuff, but everything they made before he died is still there to watch.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Speaking of retro wrestling shirts, some streetwear shops are selling old school wrestling shirts for like $50. Insane stuff.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
They've not edited him out of anything. Everything is on the Network, it's just not got the markers on the show timelines to jump directly to his matches (instead you have look at the timeline and aim for the giant gap between matches) and they don't list him search results.

Obviously they don't talk about him in new stuff, but everything they made before he died is still there to watch.

They used to edit him out of WWE On Demand unless it was absolutely necessary to include him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad