New York Islanders: Clark Gillies Takes Morning Skate

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=743811&navid=DL|NYI|home

Over the past four weeks, the New York Islanders have been paying tribute to their storied past inviting back legends from the dynasty years to drop the puck at center ice. Bobby Nystrom, Billy Smith and Denis Potvin all walked out onto the Coliseum ice when they were honored by the team.

This morning, Clark Gillies skated on it.

“To go out on the ice like that and skate – as limited as I was – was fun,†Gillies said. “It was fun to be on the ice again and look around. My hands stink from the gloves I had, which is the way it used to be.â€

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Great write-up. My fantasy is that they'll bring a Dynasty-Era Isle onto the coaching staff at some point in time. Butchie didn't work out but it doesn't mean someone else ain't up for it.

thumb

Jul 18, 2006
Great write-up. My fantasy is that they'll bring a Dynasty-Era Isle onto the coaching staff at some point in time. Butchie didn't work out but it doesn't mean someone else ain't up for it.

Butch had very little to work with. He was given an AHL team to coach in the NHL. He had success at the AHL level with young kids. TBO, I would have more faith in Butch behind the bench than Crappy. Butch is a great motivator. He made his big speech in 1980 and then the team went on to win every game the rest of the regular season.

As long as I'm fantasizing, while not hire a former legend like Bossy or someone to replace Dead Weight? His analysis on tv is spot on and I don't think he could be any worse.

Another fantasy, replace useless Cronin with another legend like Potvin. I think he would be great with the young guys. But, he is tied to Florida now. I'd gladly take Morrow as a replacement.

Garth did a great job upgrading our team talent. Our biggest weakness is the three stooges behind the bench. I cannot see us being a playoff threat with this handicap.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Butch had very little to work with. He was given an AHL team to coach in the NHL. He had success at the AHL level with young kids. TBO, I would have more faith in Butch behind the bench than Crappy. Butch is a great motivator. He made his big speech in 1980 and then the team went on to win every game the rest of the regular season.

As long as I'm fantasizing, while not hire a former legend like Bossy or someone to replace Dead Weight? His analysis on tv is spot on and I don't think he could be any worse.

Another fantasy, replace useless Cronin with another legend like Potvin. I think he would be great with the young guys. But, he is tied to Florida now. I'd gladly take Morrow as a replacement.

Garth did a great job upgrading our team talent. Our biggest weakness is the three stooges behind the bench. I cannot see us being a playoff threat with this handicap.

Don't want to transform this thread into a whole new discussion, I'm curious to see what other fans think of this. I personally feel, having the presence of a guy like Gillies or any of the other names you mentioned on the front-end of team operations would be received extremely well by our youth. We need someone whose blood is blue and orange, someone who knows what it takes to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad