Civilization VI - Rise and Fall Expansion Coming February 8

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
I am not sure about the 'look' of it but I can get past that and I am sure that will change somewhat. I just hope it does not take the path of the previous games where it takes 3 expansions to go from a frustrating game to an ok game to a good game and finally to a great game 2+years down the road.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
One kind of obscure thing I'm really hoping to see in a Civ game, though not sure if it's really possible, is for modding a simple built in graphic editor for units and buildings.

Of course you can create your own unique units in older Civ games, I don't know exactly what the process is but it obviously takes a 3rd party software and is an extremely rare skillet among modders. For all the great mods out there they are limited to using the preexisting assets for graphical representation, or piggy back off one of the few mods that adds units like the Forgotten Realms mod.

Well first I guess they have to do the right thing and not screw up the modding, keeping it wide open to users and don't think of charging for them. But after that it would be another huge step forward if they could make the visual assets accessible.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Well, there goes any chance I had of having a productive Autumn.
Preach.

That being said, I'm not sure how they can build upon and expand from Civ V. I mean, after Beyond Earth, it had everything. Sure, there are a few obscure and hyper-specific civilizations they could add, and maybe a bit more complexity to things like diplomacy and government/social policy - but really, nothing that is going to break the bank and turn the game on its head.

Of course, I say that knowing that I will still play this game into the ground for the first... five or six months after its release. I just love these games, and this genre, so damn much.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I am guessing that means the end of Civ:Beyond Earth.

Good. **** Beyond Earth. Should have just re-made and updated Alpha Centauri. :(

Excited for this. I always lose track of weeks on end when a new Civ comes out. I hope they actually release a more complete product this time, though. Vanilla Civ 5 was barely playable.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Good, I've been too productive lately. People are taking notice and expectations are getting out of hand.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Ah well. If it's space I always have civ v to get. Beyond earth looked boring to me

Just read the article and I feel dumb. But yeah. I'm glad they won't be taking that route.

The armies thing is cool for anyone that didn't play civ revolution. Though kind of broken. Just get the strongest troops and place build an army and you win the game. Nothing can destroy it

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Wow. We all knew that they were secretly working on it, but it's a surprise to see it announced just out of the blue and, especially, to have it come out only 5 months from now. Usually, Fall releases are announced at least a few months earlier.

Was Civilization V really 2010? That was so long ago, yet it doesn't feel like it's been out that long. My memories are still pretty clear about discussing it here when it came out.

I'm excited for the city tile improvements. They really sound like they'll shake things up and make games more unique.

I'm not wild about the slightly stylized graphics, either, but they could be worse. Also, early Civ screenshots tend to be slightly disappointing, since they're zoomed in too far. When you actually play the game, and at the normal zoom levels, the details tend to matter less.

That being said, I'm not sure how they can build upon and expand from Civ V. I mean, after Beyond Earth, it had everything. Sure, there are a few obscure and hyper-specific civilizations they could add, and maybe a bit more complexity to things like diplomacy and government/social policy - but really, nothing that is going to break the bank and turn the game on its head.

Have you read the polygon.com preview that was linked above? Some of the changes do sound like they'll greatly change the game for the better.

Besides, a lot of people had the same concern with Civ V. Most considered Civ IV to be perfect and wondered how they could possibly improve on it. As it turned out, though, moving to a hex grid and unstacking armies really changed the game for the better. It's actually hard to go back to Civ IV after getting used to Civ V. It sounds like Firaxis has some things in Civ VI that'll similarly change the game for the better and make it hard to go back to Civ V. Maybe in the the past, I would've complained about the developers changing things in one of my favorite series, but I've come to really trust Firaxis. They always hit everything out of the park and never disappoint, even when updating absolutely beloved series (like Civ, XCOM and Pirates!).

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
BE had me mesmerized for my first two playthroughs. I've finished only once since then.

It gets too much crap because it's still a really great 4X game...but it definitely pales in comparison to the main series.

As for the graphics...meh. They have to do something to make this game playable on the average PC and graphical styles like this do just that. Civ 5 was a resource hog that was barely usable on an average PC when it launched...I bought a new computer a year earlier than I had planned on because of that game.
It's one thing when late game turns take 30 seconds, it's another when it was Turn #4 and you haven't even met anyone yet. A lot of people who play this series only play this series, so the backlash was pretty loud when it launched at a snail's pace for a lot of people.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
I hope they just lean into the joke and make a "fake" trailer that is a shot going up some bloody stone steps to reveal a throne of bones with Ghandi sitting on it

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
I bought Beyond Earth and expansion though have never even loaded it as I was waiting for the next 'fix' as I heard it was not quite polished. Perhaps I will need to give it a shot now.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
just bought V again in the steam sale. great game. Beyond Earth was **** tho

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah I haven't bought Beyond Earth yet, but I expect it to be good for a playthrough or two.

In my opinion the mark of a great 4x game is how long you can keep playing it. In my Steam library these games tend to range from 50-150 hours of playtime, and I'm expecting Beyond Earth to be at the lower end of the range.

And of course Civ V is a big exception, through all the expansions and lots of mods I'm clocked in at over 1000+. I think Vanilla got me about 150 hours, Gods & Kings another 50-100, and Brave New World another 200. After that I got into mods and it just kept going. I could really get back into Civ IV but until I see more I get the impression that if vanilla Civ VI doesn't last indefinitely I'll still be able to go back to Civ V.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
There's nothing wrong with Beyond Earth. It's simply a conversion of Civ V, much like the Colonization re-make was a conversion of Civ IV. If you're expecting Civ V with alien worlds, alien species, new technology and only one or two minor gameplay twists--in other words, an extension of Civ V to what happens after the space race--then it delivers exactly that. If you're expecting something more or something different, especially something like Alpha Centauri, then you're going to be disappointed. I don't understand putting it down because it's not what you wanted. It's a very good game. It's just that what makes it a very good game--its similarity to Civ V--also makes it all too familiar, so gamers who have put hundreds of hours into Civ V will tire of it more quickly (maybe after only a few playthroughs) than they would with a whole new entry in the series, like Civ VI.

I bought Beyond Earth and expansion though have never even loaded it as I was waiting for the next 'fix' as I heard it was not quite polished. Perhaps I will need to give it a shot now.

I would definitely play it before Civ VI comes out, since it may be harder to get into and enjoy the Civ V mechanics afterwards. As for polish, I played it after the first couple patches (well before the expansion was released) and didn't run it any of the issues that people complained about with the original version. Perhaps there are unresolved issues with the expansion--I don't know, since I haven't played it--but you can always turn the expansion off in the Mods section of the menu if you're worried about that.

Last edited:

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
^Yeah, I think I will give it a shot as soon as I try to wipe Alexander off the planet. Somehow he is 5 techs ahead of everybody, has almost all the Wonders and is just being a jerk.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Civ:BE is basically Alpha Centauri remade. You guys realize like BE, Alpha Centauri is built on the same generation Civ. game? For BE it was Civ. 5, for AC it was Civ 2. Alpha Centauri was a big improvement on Civ 2. mechanics wise, but by the time BE came out Civ 5. was at its pinnacle and you weren't getting anything more from that framework. I don't really see what would make an Alpha Centauri remake any different from BE.

Anyways, I put nearly ~2000 hours in Civ. 5. I definitely don't play games as much anymore as I did when I was putting all day sessions into Civ. 5 (kids and live in romantic partners will do that) but I'll definitely be spending a lot of time with this...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad