CIS Stats/Standings Archives

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Hopefully the admins can sticky this thread as a source of links for historical CIS stats and standings, which is sometimes hard to find.

I found a link at Elite Prospects which has almost every league's 1979-80 standings. However, after that they have Canada West only. Did you know McMaster was in the AUS West that year?

The Bob Adams Site covers 1995-96 to 2008-09.

The Canada West site has a pdf format standings page which goes back to 1919-20, but omits the GPAC results. It also has links to year-in-review pages but has many missing years, including all years from 1987 to 1999.

The AUS and OUA sites appear to go back to 2002 and 2004, respectively.

The CIS site has absolutely nothing. In fact, prior to changing their url they had recent years' scores and standings but have now lost even that. You can still sneak in through an old link which still has the data going back to 2004-05.

If anybody has some helpful links in this regard, please post!

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Interesting Site and I was very surprised to see McMaster in the AUS that season.............but....upon closer inspection, I noticed McMaster was also in the OUA that same set of standings, it certainly would never make sence to have a Hamilton Ontario team in the AUS, so it was obviously a Typo, the team that it was more than likely supposed to be was the Memorial Seahawks of St John's Newfoundland

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Interesting to also see Lakehead in the Western Conference, and with Winnepeg in the league that year as well, it makes alot of sence.

If I was Lakehead University now, with their competitive teams year after year, their private funding and team Jet, I would rather be playing in the Canada West Conference, arent they closer to Manitoba, saskatchewan, regina than they are to any Ontario teams? it would be nice to round the Canada West back to 8 teams, and even out the OUA back to 18 instead of 19

Hollywood, any history news, rumours what could happens, what will never happens regarding hockey at the University of Winnepeg and Brandon University

rantfather

Apr 28, 2009
Interesting Site and I was very surprised to see McMaster in the AUS that season.............but....upon closer inspection, I noticed McMaster was also in the OUA that same set of standings, it certainly would never make sence to have a Hamilton Ontario team in the AUS, so it was obviously a Typo, the team that it was more than likely supposed to be was the Memorial Seahawks of St John's Newfoundland

When Memorial was a men's hockey member in the AUS they were known as the Beothuks( an extinct aboriginal tribe) and the STU Tommies were the first visiting team to play them on the "rock";FYI

Last edited:

Coach Craig

Passion for coaching
Jan 13, 2010
If I was Lakehead University now, with their competitive teams year after year, their private funding and team Jet, I would rather be playing in the Canada West Conference, arent they closer to Manitoba, saskatchewan, regina than they are to any Ontario teams? it would be nice to round the Canada West back to 8 teams, and even out the OUA back to 18 instead of 19

Lakehead doesn't have a team jet.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
I didn't really mean they own theyre own Team Jet, but I remember reading, years ago when they started the program back up, that they had private investment into the team and had their own charter flights for their games away, and bringing in opponents, as the distances were too great to travel

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
When Memorial was a men's hockey member in the AUS they were known as the Beothuks( an extinct aboriginal tribe) and the STU Tommies were the first visiting team to play them on the "rock";FYI

Weren't the University College of Cape Breton Capers (now Cape Breton University Capers) in the league in the early 90's?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
That was a "fun" roadtrip. When I was with Dal, we would play SFX on Saturday night, go on to Sydney, get the players settled in and then the coaching staff would retire to Smooth Hermans. In those days the AHL was still active in C.B. so there would always be players either from the Oilers or the visiting team at Hermans. Play UCCB Sunday afternoon, win 10-2 and have a six hour ride back home.

Those were the days.....Sigh

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
Yeah the times were similar for us at Saint Mary's, I mean literally, i.e. arrival in Sydney, we'd stay there both ways, no matter who we played first, but we didn't win any 10-2 or go to Smooth Herman's.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Back on topic ...

I clicked some old links and see that we can get to the old CIS stats pages then follow the links. For example, this gets you to the roster and stats pages for every CIS team:

http://cis.infinityprosports.com/2004/index.php?page=rosters&sport_name=mhockey

Now, the CIS stats were sometimes wrong but at least they are accessible. One thing I miss is the CIS schedule page with links to box scores and stories for every game:

http://cis.infinityprosports.com/2004/index.php?page=schedule&season_id=2006&sport_name=mhockey

You could also decipher the url for each game in advance and then insert it into posts!

The U of M site also reproduced game summaries from the pre-LeagueStat days and you could also decipher those urls:

http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/physed/athletics/hockey/mens/results/2007/101207.HTM

This one would be the game from October 12, 2007. See?

Now they just give the LeagueStat link. All the CW stats pages from those years are in a cyber graveyard.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
More links

First, if anybody has links to an archive for the CW and OUA LeagueStat years, I would like to see it.

ITM, I have found a few useful links through HockeyDB.com:

GPAC Link Page - It has a listing for only one season, 1979-80. Brandon, Manitoba, and Regina were in a tight race for the top whilst Lakehead and Winnipeg were given the boots.

Canada West Link Page - They have some information for each year from 1972 to 2011 but some years are spotty. In fact, many have information for only one team. They do have 1976-77, 1977-78, 1979-80, 1982-83, 1983-84, 1984-85 (the last year from the GPAC years), 1985-86 (the first season of the re-amalgamation with GPAC), and 1986-87. The puzzling gap from 1987-1998 is there. The standings are complete from 1998-99 to present.

CIAU/CIS Link Page - Although it has links going back to 1952 the links are all but useless until one gets to 1970-71 when it has the final standings for each conference. An interesting read. There were 10 Atlantic teams and 7 Western teams (but included were Winnipeg, Brandon, and Victoria instead of Saskatchewan, Regina, and Lethbridge). Ontario and Quebec had four divisions or conferences, two of which included teams from both provinces and two of which were all-Ontario.

Then they show only OUA standings (I guess the site was made by a guy from Ontario!), with lots of gaps and several years with only one team listed. IAE they have OUA standings for 1971-72, 1972-73, 1989-90, and 1992-93. They also have all OUA standings from 1996-97 onwards.

QUAA Link Page - They have links for only two seasons: 1979-80 and 1986-87. The league shrunk from 7 to 4 teams in that time, one of which was Ottawa. Hence the move of the surviving teams to the OUA.

AUAA/AUS Link Page - They have links for lots of seasons but prior to 1998-99 the only years with full standings are for 1986-87 and 1979-80.

There have been some updates at Elite Prospects as well. They have full standings from 2002-03 to 2010-11. But from 2002-03 to 2006-07 they include non-conference games in the records of the CW teams.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON

This is awesome - thanks for posting. I started following (then) OUAA hockey in 1982/83 and looking at the standings brought that season back. During that era, U of T were an absolute powerhouse. If you look at the standings that year, you'll see that their record was 22-1-1 - in all my years watching CIS hockey, I don't think I've ever seen one team that much better than everyone else (look at their goals for - they AVERAGED 9.5 goals per game!). But they had an achilles heal. Their one tie and one loss that season were both against Laurier, the only two games they played against each other during the regular season. They both advanced to the Queen's Cup and Laurier took out U of T 2 games to none, for their first ever conference title. This was one of the best examples I've seen of there clearly being an elite team, but that one team had figured them out.

Last edited:

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
Allan Cup 2014

Former St. Mary's Huskie star Cam Fergus leads the Clarenville Cougars into the Allan Cup final April 19/14 against the host Dundas Real McCoys. There was a good representation for the CIS on the Senior AAA teams competing at the tournament.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
St FX alumnus Mike Mole face 53 shots to lead the Dundas Real McCoys to a 3-2 win in 2OT in the final of the 2014 Allan Cup tournament.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Former St. Mary's Huskie star Cam Fergus leads the Clarenville Cougars into the Allan Cup final April 19/14 against the host Dundas Real McCoys. There was a good representation for the CIS on the Senior AAA teams competing at the tournament.

Former V-Red Rob Henniger would have been there, but his wife had a new baby recently.
He led the NFLD Senior league in scoring and his team ( Grand Falls) defeated Clarenville in the final this year. He played on a line with Fergus. Luke Gallant, former V-Red, was also on the Clarenville roster.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The Wikia site is the best place to reliably find CIS standings from yesteryear. I am amingst those who provide updates to it.

I am looking over the AUS right now. There are no playoff results for 1987, 1988, 1989, or 1991. Anybody know where these would be?

I made some updates and have the following question (as I'm assuming you've made updates to this site in the past).

I see in some AUS seasons, for playoffs, the editor has a line identifying the winner of the series followed by the game results, but in other seasons the games results come first then a line confirming the winner.

Q.1. I prefer the former; Line with teams and result followed by the games. It looks more appealing visually as you have the indented games results to 'follow'. What is your suggestion so we can keep things consistent?

Q.2. For game results, do we assume the first team is home. I prefer to be more direct (place the word 'at' in the line) rather leave the reader to wonder what the order means.

Semi-Finals
New Brunswick defeats Moncton 2-0.
  • Moncton 1 at New Brunswick 3
  • New Brunswick 4 at Moncton 3

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I made some updates and have the following question (as I'm assuming you've made updates to this site in the past).

I see in some AUS seasons, for playoffs, the editor has a line identifying the winner of the series followed by the game results, but in other seasons the games results come first then a line confirming the winner.

Q.1. I prefer the former; Line with teams and result followed by the games. It looks more appealing visually as you have the indented games results to 'follow'. What is your suggestion so we can keep things consistent?

Q.2. For game results, do we assume the first team is home. I prefer to be more direct (place the word 'at' in the line) rather leave the reader to wonder what the order means.

Semi-Finals
New Brunswick defeats Moncton 2-0.
  • Moncton 1 at New Brunswick 3
  • New Brunswick 4 at Moncton 3

The problem has been finding as much data as possible. When I have posted I have followed the usual format to keep it consistent across conferences. So if you can find a date, score, and a link to stories etc. that would be nice. In many situations neither I nor others can easily tell who was at home, or if it was played at a neutral site. I would leave it in the usual format for other leagues/seasons. In the old days there were many neutral site games in both the west and maritimes.

I have added links to senior hockey seasons for Acadia, Mount Allison, St. FX, and Dalhousie. I could not find any for UNB, other than a blurb from Wikipedia which I have now added.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->